Motorsports This board is for Z Racers who compete in Autocross, Road Racing and Time Trials. Focus will be on car set up and modifications. Event coverage, and race parts for sale or trade.

Progress reports?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 07:48 AM

Progress reports?

So a number of poeple were doing some cool projects earlier in the year. John had some custom bumpsteer spacers and was thinking about droop limiting. Seems there was a lot of other discussion about going faster too.

My new brakes are working out very well. Unlike the normal setups I went with 10.25 inch disks to fit inside my 13 inch wheels. About the only other mod for my car this year is a new AIM dash.

Would love to hear how some of this stuff is working out.

Cary
Old 08-30-2005, 10:37 AM

No progress other than your idea for the rear x bar. I have also modified the side x bar for easier access. I will take a pic of that. The reason I have little progress is a fun one. My family was given two vacations mostly free from relatives. One in Newport beach and one for two weeks in Hawaii. So I guess I have some progress on my tan and aloha spirit but the car is stalled. Post some pics of your engine bay triangulation I read about on that other website if you get a chance!

Old 08-30-2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by zlalomz
No progress other than your idea for the rear x bar. I have also modified the side x bar for easier access. I will take a pic of that. The reason I have little progress is a fun one. My family was given two vacations mostly free from relatives. One in Newport beach and one for two weeks in Hawaii. So I guess I have some progress on my tan and aloha spirit but the car is stalled. Post some pics of your engine bay triangulation I read about on that other website if you get a chance!
Cool pics, glad it worked out. I'd like to do something like that but my ambition is a little low at this point. I wish I had excuses like you do but sadly I don't.

I'll post some pics, just be aware it won't be pretty as I'm going for speed of fabriaction on this mod. If it works others can make it pretty. But since the rest of the car looks junky it should fit right in :-)

Raced this last weekend on cones. Took a bit to get used to not running them over. Once I had that sorted, managed to take TTOD and win PAX. Rusty old datsuns are starting to show the EVOs and STIs that old technology can still be fast.

cary
Old 09-02-2005, 04:33 PM

Hi Cary,
I was thinking of adding these two bars (yellow) to strengthen the seatbelt harness cross bar and to tie into the tunnel like at front with the t-bar that is on top of the transmission mount. Also I want to add gussets at the base of the main hoop and x-bar connections. Any pros or cons that jump out at you?

Old 09-04-2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by zlalomz
Hi Cary,
I was thinking of adding these two bars (yellow) to strengthen the seatbelt harness cross bar and to tie into the tunnel like at front with the t-bar that is on top of the transmission mount. Also I want to add gussets at the base of the main hoop and x-bar connections. Any pros or cons that jump out at you?

That's a hard one to answer. I have a lateral bar between the strut towers that my harness hooks to on the current car. On my tube car I have a similar tube bit it is part of the triangulation to the rear strut towers.

Do you need to have a diagonal? I think that might be a better solution to hook into the harness bar. The tube going down to the floor looks good. I just don't know about the tube to the X. The angle is what bugs me. Generally I try and have any joint contrained in three directions. Maybe it's because I've never seen this done that way but it seems like it wouldn't work. What about a tube that goes straight back from the seat to the strut tower? Would that work better to hold the back of the seat and and the harness?

Cary
Old 09-06-2005, 12:20 PM

Sumthin' like this?
Old 09-06-2005, 01:28 PM

Yep, but I don't know if the tube to the X is really needed. Is that to pick up the diff?

As with anything, there are many potential solutions. Check with any regs first if you're going to run it in competition. Some are real touchy about what is legal and what isn't. But you probably already know that.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:44 PM

I got my spacers roughed out on a mill/lathe, but ran out of time before events started piling up and I didn't want to be down for those, and now I'm down for 2 months due to health. I still need to work out how to handle the steering. I'll get back to the big bumpsteer spacer project soon though.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by tube80z
Cool pics, glad it worked out. I'd like to do something like that but my ambition is a little low at this point. I wish I had excuses like you do but sadly I don't.

cary
Maybe I can give you a little motivation. I'm die'n to see your tube car completed, and am sure many others are as well. That's going to be one bad a$$ car!

I wish I had some projects to tell you about, but I'm too busy having a blast driving it. This winter though I'll have a surprise for you.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by preith
Maybe I can give you a little motivation. I'm die'n to see your tube car completed, and am sure many others are as well. That's going to be one bad a$$ car!

I wish I had some projects to tell you about, but I'm too busy having a blast driving it. This winter though I'll have a surprise for you.
Thanks, I ridden in a few V8 cars recently and that's helped a lot with motivation. I think I'm getting addicted to that big push in the back.

I know what you mean about having a blast driving. The parts car turned test bed, has been both a blessing and a curse in disguise. I've got two more races with it and then I need to get really busy. I signed up for the Claude Rouelle seminar in Vegas to help figure out a few last questions about what I need to do suspension wise. I'm hoping to get some good direction from that class.

Cary