Motorsports This board is for Z Racers who compete in Autocross, Road Racing and Time Trials. Focus will be on car set up and modifications. Event coverage, and race parts for sale or trade.

Koni vs Advance Designs Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 10:07 AM

Koni vs Advance Designs Shocks

Hey Guys ,
Since Phil brought this subject up again I thought we should follow it up.

I sent a clip of Tube80Z's reply on the revalved Koni vs. the AD shock to
Erik , and this was his reply . NOTE : I didn't give him any information other
then what Tube80 mentioned about digressive dampning. He is willing to
give us his help on what can be done to the Koni's .

Here is his reply

I'm feeling very much like I'm starting a new project at the end of it. Without knowing what was said/done/discussed/wanted prior to "I think if you could get a cheaper Koni valved with a digressive piston, you'd have as good a shock", I am at a complete loss as to what's going on or what is wanted. I need a whole lot more information before I'm willing to say anything.
Any information here will be past on to Erik .

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-23-2005, 10:30 AM

Ouch, although I can see where he's comming from. I wonder if untimately Erik would need an AD shock in his hands to establish a baseline?

LOL, I kind of feel like I'm made out to look like the bad guy here. Not that it really matters, but I only asked how good the AD shocks really are.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:31 AM

So I guess the questions I would have would be what kind of range can we get with the Koni adjuster for compression, can this be low or high speed, what piston options are there, and can you set nose pressure on the Konis.

On the AD shocks I think you're stuck with the digressive piston. In a class I took they showed some results using both linear and VDP pistons that looked interesting. I don't know for sure if these even exist for the Konis.

I'd be willing to send my AD shocks to Erik but I'd need to work this around my race schedule. So this may be an end of season thing.

Cary
Old 03-23-2005, 11:19 AM

Are you sure Cary, you don't want to lend your shocks to Erik now? I have a set of blown out Illuminas I could lend you.
Here is a quote from the AD Faq's so we can sound like we know what we are talking about when working with Erik.

What’s the difference between damping and dampening?

"Damping is an engineering term for controlling or dissipating energy in a controlled manner. Dampening is what happens when you wet your pants."