Motorsports This board is for Z Racers who compete in Autocross, Road Racing and Time Trials. Focus will be on car set up and modifications. Event coverage, and race parts for sale or trade.

Kodiaks new wheel line up

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 02:33 PM

Kodiaks new wheel line up

Hey Guys,
Looks like Kodiak has several new three piece wheels this year . I really like the looks of the STX . I also just figured out they are just north west of me in BC , Canada . I feel a road trip coming up

http://www.kodiakracingwheels.com/

Mike
Old 02-04-2004, 04:55 PM

Before you road trip it make sure of what you are getting. If you go to larger than 16's to say a 17 or 18 you have to ensure you are getting a true 17 or 18 not that diameter spun up on a smaller wheel center designed for a smaller dia. wheel. If it is not you have to deal with flex and other issues. Also a lot of wheel guys make wheels and tout them as very light but in forged aluminum multipiece wheels to keep the weight down in the centers they cut a lot of meat out(strength), you also loose rigidity. Also the wheels need to be hubcentric. They also need to be tested for application. For radial fatigue and bending moment and cornering load. In the US there is no "standard" for strength like in Europe wheels have to meet Gov tuv (toof) approval. Here it is not that way. Be sure because wheels that are the right bolt circle and dimension may not be a "proper fit" for application and loading. Just because it bolts on and goes under the fenders does not mean its "right"
Prowrench
Old 02-04-2004, 08:20 PM

Prowrench,
Kodiak is a well known aftermarket racing wheel company. They are being used by a few Datsun racers already. I agree with what you say about light wheels and failures . If you look at Kodiaks website you will see the link to their order form . They ask all the right questions to fill your order. Besides they are way out of my price league at this time.

Thanks for the heads up,
Mike
Old 02-05-2004, 08:52 AM

Yes I am well aware of them. As former MTSP Director for the foremost wheel co. in the world. I see folks get all jacked up on things and shiny metal. I know most everyone's wheels in the industry and know whats good about them and whats not so good. I know what is right and what needs to be addressed. Most wheel co's have engineering that leave a lot to be desired and what it really takes to build the right race wheel. I know and have looked at them all. There is no room for error inthis end of the business....the results can be tragic. You have to understand what the real demands of racing are. Most Don't.
Prowrench
Old 02-05-2004, 01:18 PM

What are your opinions of the Panasport C-8 wheels in 16"? Besides BBS is there anywone you are impressed with who make wheels for our Z's? Thanks, Steve.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:07 AM

Psports are fine. they have a cast center that is rigid. they do have some porosity that makes them not as aesthetic as the billet centered wheels but is is strong. But functinally they are very good. Another real good one is Jongbloed. Lighter than the Pana's and strong. Of course BBS. For the Z the J-bloeds are a little lighter than the BBS. their JRW214 and JRW314 are nice. The Pres of JB is a gearhead and easy to work with. I know him well. In the Billet Aluminum wheels a lot of co's are trying to make weight so they take it out of the center and if you saw bending moment tests where the center is actually displaced you would see. The BBS and JB are cast mag as well that make them light. I could do volumes here but in a nutshell. Look and compare and ask what a co's test criteria is. If its not tested thouroughly for application you dont want them. It like buying a 50$ race helmet. What is your brain really worth? Same principal.
Prowrench
Old 02-09-2004, 03:30 PM

Prowrench,
I appreciate your feed back on the my wheel post. I do know of a few guys running , so called lightweight wheels that had center section failures due to trying to make them lighter. One of them was Kodiak. I have also heard of Kosei's having problems with the lug nuts loosening on them due to the powder coating on the lug nut seat. I am sure glad you posted what your expertise and opinion was on racing wheels .

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-09-2004, 03:48 PM

No sweat Mike ,thats what these forum's are for. I have seen and heard of nuts coming loose ,all fastening mating surfaces must be bare metal or torque loss can occur. This includes the back mating surface of the wheel as well. Some co's use soft material as well and can gaul and push metal and make the tapers bad or the nut taper is not correct from poor QC and they dont torque properly. The end result can be the same watching your wheel pass you on the track. Look at the 24 hour a few weeks ago there were many lost wheels. Not good! Having been in the industry for many years I have seen a lot but I see something new everyday. And that is why it is important that you check a vendor out to see it they have the proper expertise to be where they are.
Bill