Motorsports This board is for Z Racers who compete in Autocross, Road Racing and Time Trials. Focus will be on car set up and modifications. Event coverage, and race parts for sale or trade.

ITG filters and SU stub stacks

Old 06-27-2003, 03:36 PM

ITG filters and SU stub stacks

Hey Guys,
Where is the best place to get the ITG filters and the spun stub stacks for the SU's . I know that TWM Induction carries them , but was looking for another source. I use to be in contact with Scott from Ztherapy a lot , but now there is a different owner.

I was almost going to make my own air box just to have some kind of ilters on there I have the factory set up , but it is pretty restrictive.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-28-2003, 10:55 PM

Steve Epperly is the new owner of Ztherapy and he can set you up with a lot of different options. He's a good guy and long time racer (Nasport GT4 champ).

One of the guys that Steve helped with his Z used a ITG setup and some of the billet radius entries for the SUs. The TWM spun horns are really crappy. I'm not sure what they fit but they aren't built for Z car SUs.

I have some custom airhorns on my SUs. Steve was kind enough to help rebuild them. They are a little different from his carbs as they were originally done by Huffaker and have been reprofiled internally and have no throttle shaft. We'll see how good they work at tomorrow's autox. With three year old slicks I'm not expecting much stick.

I'll try and post some pics when I get a chance. I'm beat from working on the car all day (major heat wave for us).

Cary
Old 06-28-2003, 11:12 PM

Cary,
I will give Steve a call next week to so what he suggests.

I have been competing on used road race tires that I think have a few heat cycles on them . One thing I have noticed is because they have lost so much grip when they are at their limits I sure do feel it. I was messing around last weekend with left foot braking trying to
use the gas to keep me stable , and it seems to work fairly well. I should buck up and buy some new treads

We are having the same heat wave here.
Funny how last weekend was rain and highs in the low 50's and today it was 90 .

Good luck tomorrow ,
Mike
Old 06-30-2003, 11:47 AM

Hey Britt,

You should have told me who you were. The white and yellow FP car is mine. I was surprised by how well I did (3rd fastest) the DP X1/9 and the OSP rabbit were quicker. I would have beat the rabbit but I managed to clip a cone on my last run. I was told it teatered and tottered and then fell down. The back of the car is wider than what I'm used to.

I would have run in the afternoon but the slicks were shot. When they don't pick up rocks anymore they are done. I was impressed that they had any grip after sitting for three years. I wish I would have brought the other rears as I think they were newer. My last couple of runs were a little loose

It will be faster next outing. I have some brake sorting to do as the pedal is all the way to the floor. They stop well (4-wheel disc) but I can't deal with the travel. The driver could use some work too. I haven't been in anything but street prepared cars for the last 5 years. So it's real nice to be back into what I started with.

Quite a few people that were watching couldn't believe it had only two SUs. The ZTherapy massaged carbs worked well. Thanks to Steve for the last minute rebuild. I was thinking of using the tripple webers I have but I don't really think it would help that much. I'd have a lot of work todo as the rear SU is about a quarter inch from the firewall.

I'l post some pictures from the next event and a little write up -- just in case anyone is interested. I remembered everything but the camera on this outing.

Cary
Old 07-08-2003, 09:46 AM

On triples, I'm convinced the only way to go is either a custom airbox, or no filter at all. I've heard from too many people how the ITG's melt or burn. Unfortunatley the K&N's are not large enough to fit most airhorns. TWM sells fairly nice airbox, but they retail for fiberglass ($450) or carbon fiber ($800). Also, the inlet is only 3" which they claim can handle 600 hp, but I'd feel more comfortable with a larger inlet for carbs.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:01 AM

The carbs toward the firewall was my concern as well, which is why I figure go way larger than you need, such as a 4" inlet. A ram air setup to the carbs is a mystery too. I seem to remember some very lenghty discussions on the IZCC page a few years ago. I'd like to get other opinions on that.

As for the ITG's, I was talking with Dave Weber at Malvern about them. He said that occasionally the carbs have been known to not necessarily backfire, but shoot a flame out the other way. The inside of the filter becomes melted, and it progressively gets worse. You end up having to replace the filter on a regular basis.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:50 AM

I think one of the problems with ram air is that you need to make sure the entire carb sees an increase in pressure not just the throats. For autox I've used a airbox and not had problems but it is rare that I ever get over about 80 MPH.

The original how to modify book had info about needing a pressure bleed to help with turbulence. I view the aribox more as a cold air source than something to use for ram air.

Cary