Motorsports This board is for Z Racers who compete in Autocross, Road Racing and Time Trials. Focus will be on car set up and modifications. Event coverage, and race parts for sale or trade.

Fiberglass?/Carbonfiber panels and weight

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 02:53 PM

Fiberglass?/Carbonfiber panels and weight

Hey Guys,
I want tu use my late 260 shell as the FP mule. I was looking through
the rule book and it was unclear to me on what could be glass and
what had to be steel . I know I can replace hatch glass and windshield
with Polycarbonate/Lexan . I can also remove bumpers side glass and internals.

Can you run glass doors ?

Tom what weight is your car without balast ? I am looking at that 1930 number
for the 260 motor. Kind of glad I didn't haul that bad boy to the dump

Mike
Old 10-01-2004, 03:22 PM

No, doors need to be steel. They can be lightened. You can make that weight easy without lexan or CF parts if you don't go wild stiffening up the body. I was at 1889 or less with front and rear glass, no lexan or CF. Still had probably a good 50 lbs that could have come out with lexan and aluminum radiator. Leaving the roll bar out probably another 30 lbs.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by jburge01
No, doors need to be steel. They can be lightened. You can make that weight easy without lexan or CF parts if you don't go wild stiffening up the body. I was at 1889 or less with front and rear glass, no lexan or CF. Still had probably a good 50 lbs that could have come out with lexan and aluminum radiator. Leaving the roll bar out probably another 30 lbs.
John,
For some reason I remember Tom saying he had to add weight to his car to make minimum , and was using all steel body parts . Might as well save the big bucks for the go fast parts

Mike
Old 10-01-2004, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Spudz
John,
For some reason I remember Tom saying he had to add weight to his car to make minimum , and was using all steel body parts . Might as well save the big bucks for the go fast parts

Mike
He has told me that he adds a bunch too. The last thing you need is expensive lightweight parts if you are gutting it.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:51 PM

Yes doors have to be steel but can be made very light. I have a 12 lb! fiberglass hood I picked up on Craigslist, fenders and airdam also are fiberglass. I have too extensive a cage for autocross but I am trying to get very stiff springs too work. A three gallon fuel tank and a muffler recessed into the passenger floor with exhaust exiting in front of the r. rear wheel to keep weight in between the wheels. I have never stripped a car this much so it will be interesting to see the final weight. I doubt I will be under the minimum, but any penalties or excess will be added to the passenger side to compensate for my Big Guy penalty in the drivers seat.

Originally Posted by jburge01
He has told me that he adds a bunch too. The last thing you need is expensive lightweight parts if you are gutting it.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:14 PM

I added about 75 lbs of lead to make the 2100 lb min for a L28. The original '73 car we bought had about 150 lbs of lead. Both cars had a cage, fiberglass hood, lexan windshield and hatch glass. All other body parts are steel. The paint job last winter contributed to a bit more weight. In Topeka last month those scales said I weighed about 2145, which is proably a few pounds high. I plan to play with the weight a bit this winter to try and get the weight down towards the new 2070 limit and more of it farther inboard.

Tom
Old 10-04-2004, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by zlalomz
Yes doors have to be steel but can be made very light. I have a 12 lb! fiberglass hood I picked up on Craigslist, fenders and airdam also are fiberglass. I have too extensive a cage for autocross but I am trying to get very stiff springs too work. A three gallon fuel tank and a muffler recessed into the passenger floor with exhaust exiting in front of the r. rear wheel to keep weight in between the wheels. I have never stripped a car this much so it will be interesting to see the final weight. I doubt I will be under the minimum, but any penalties or excess will be added to the passenger side to compensate for my Big Guy penalty in the drivers seat.
Unless you use the GT-2 option. Then you can have composite on those too.

Cary