The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Is your XP Pro legit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 08:42 PM

Cool Is your XP Pro legit?

Now I know these days people don't always use legit software, including myself. This C drive and motherboard I am currently using in this computer came from a friend of mine who said that the Windows XP Pro on it was legit...what he meant to say is that he patched the WGA stuff and legitcontrolcheck.dll to make it work...or something like that. Well I almost never get updates from windows, mainly because I rarely change anything in my computer and I basically just surf the net with Firefox.

Well when I spoke with my friend he told me that I would have to get the latest WGA fix if I wanted to get updates...I did some reading and found out that Microsoft has made it real hard to do this now so I found a better way.........................why not make it a legit copy of Windows XP Pro, so that's what I did. This should hold me over until a month from now when I build my new computer and purchase a legit retail copy of Windows...however I won't be getting rid of the program that has fixed this copy. What did the program do? It actually changes the license to a volume license. It was quick and did exactly what it promised and did it without having to install a fresh copy of Windows and without any Trojans, Viruses or Spyware. I don't endorse doing this unethical act but sometimes you gotta take a little back! Don't hate the playa, hate the game!!
Old 01-06-2007, 08:54 PM
The Good Twin

Nice. All my machines have the free student version I got from my Computer Engineering classes.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:58 PM

Whatever works right? I had a laptop with a "student version" of XP....I didn't see any differences.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:02 PM
The Good Twin

So how do you modify the .dll?
Old 01-06-2007, 09:07 PM

My friend told me he had to replace the original .dll with the one in the patch....if it is not done correctly you will get the annoying pop up that says you have a non legit copy of windows and when you turn on your computer it will be delayed. This little tool that I have doesn't mess with any of that stuff, in fact after you follow it's instructions it says to remove that .dll file and then go to Windows Updated and get the legit .dll and continue like it was a store bought version of Windows...this thing rocks. I was finally able to get IE7 and Media player 11, I had 9 before.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:25 PM

where did he get the program?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by tekanitrus
where did he get the program?
Here is the link: http://www.file-wire.net/?pdl=Vm1thW996BtD

Follow all the instructions in the read me file after you unrar and it will make a non legit XP pro A full legit copy.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Taste My Rainbow

hmmm i want to get me a copy of vista pro
Old 01-09-2007, 11:54 PM

is it any better? vista pro that is.. i haven't heard anything either way...
Old 01-10-2007, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by skittle
hmmm i want to get me a copy of vista pro
Me too. But I am not even gonna bother till I have my new build done:

MB: ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40g 1066mhz 4meg L2
Graphics Card: PNY XLR8 Performance Edition GeForce 8800 GTX
Memory: G.Skill Dual 2gig sticks, 4 gig total DDR8 expandable to 8 gig
Hard drives: Seagate x 3 250gig x 1 500gig SATA3 [1st drive; Operating System/Programs/games, 2nd drive; Pics/Videos, 3rd drive; Music, 4th drive; Mass storage drive] (I hope that's enough room!! 1.25tb total!!)
Processor Cooling: Thermaltake Symphony External water cooler...It's Huge!!
Power Supply: PC & Power Cooling 850watt Sli certified PSU
I haven't decided on the sound stuff yet but I know I want to be able to record my guitar into it.

That about covers it except for the little things. Looks like I should have my case back from my sister very soon, like this Monday and my brother is giving me his server tower, it's frickin heavy. All I do know is when the whole thing is together it is going to be a beast!! I should be able to push it to 3.2-3.4gig on the processor with the power supply and the memory alone and with the Symphony water cooler 3.6-4.0gig and should be around 45-49*c on the temp under load. With all that power I should "SHOULD" in theory be able to surf ZDriver faster....
Old 01-10-2007, 12:57 AM

I'm getting a "free" copy of Vista Ultimate when it releases...

I work for Geek Squad, and Intel has a program they call Retailedge for people in retail locations that sell/fix Intel products. If you do the web based learnings they have on their site, at the end of the year you can buy a bundle that comes with a processor, mobo, and OS, all for the grand price of $220! I got my bundle this year, it came with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, an Intel DG965WH motherboard, and a free copy of Vista Ultimate. Since it hasn't released yet, they gave us an evaluation copy of RC1, and should either send us a voucher or a copy of Vista Ultimate come Jan. 30th.

As for legit copies of Windows XP...google muBlinder.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:09 AM

Back in the day (1993-2000), I was a computer tech for some small but successful computer shops. I never paid for legit copies of windows, and could ALWAYS find software that would change the code, even for XP, to a legit one. Lately, MS has changed their way of doing things and made this process more difficult. My advice, now, is start saving money now in small amounts that won't hurt your budget, and when Vista comes out, buy either a new system with it already installed, or if your so inclined, build a system and just buy Vista to intall. Bill was gonna get us all anyways, right???

Carl

PS: Fast, How does one go about working for the "Geek Squad"????
Old 01-10-2007, 04:11 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by thxone
Here is the link: http://www.file-wire.net/?pdl=Vm1thW996BtD

Follow all the instructions in the read me file after you unrar and it will make a non legit XP pro A full legit copy.
Wont work, tried Adobe, Notepad, Wordpad. Still can't see what it is. Help me if you can. I would like to make mine legit. Because I can't afford a Windows XP professional program right now.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Wont work, tried Adobe, Notepad, Wordpad. Still can't see what it is. Help me if you can. I would like to make mine legit. Because I can't afford a Windows XP professional program right now.
Go to your local Circuit City or Best Buy and copy the key off the side of one of the display models...If someone asks what you're doing also copy the system information like you're shopping for a new machine....

Did I just say that? Oops....
Old 01-10-2007, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by naviathan
Go to your local Circuit City or Best Buy and copy the key off the side of one of the display models...If someone asks what you're doing also copy the system information like you're shopping for a new machine....

Did I just say that? Oops....
It's not quite that easy, you also need the product id, which is within windows, and can be found with the registry...if you know where you are looking.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Carl's Z
PS: Fast, How does one go about working for the "Geek Squad"????
Well, the obvious answer is to apply for the job . I've worked at Best Buy for over 3 years selling computers, and I was just lucky enough to show the Precinct Supervisor what I know, and I ended up getting the promotion. I felt pretty lucky, since there were other people n my department that wanted the position, but I was the only one from a sales position to be promoted to Geek Squad.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:47 AM
caught the z fever

Originally Posted by tekanitrus
is it any better? vista pro that is.. i haven't heard anything either way...
i have the vista transformation pack, and its pretty sweet. my roomate had an early version of vista pro, and it ran decently well

i can get xp pro for anyone for 10 bucks if you want it
Old 01-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
i hjave all the legit stuff needed for upgrading to vista---is it worth my while to go from xp pro to vista>??? WILL IT MAKE MY MESS BETTER OR WORSE???oops...tell me about it, please.........i have a HP pavilion 7000 series with all the stuff.........
Old 01-10-2007, 01:26 PM

First, what OS are you running? I started out with a non legit XP PRO already and that is what the fix is for...it won't turn Windows 95, 98, 2000 into Pro...now if you have a non legit XP PROthen here is what I did: You will need winrar for this file as it is a .rar file. Here is the link for the .zip file, sorry, I should have posted it also but it slipped my mind as I use WinRar most of the time. The steps are the same once you download it...
You can read up on it also at this link:
http://keznews.net/forum/forum.php?r...postlistbottom
DOWNLOAD ZIP
http://www.file-wire.net/?pdl=dXQe9NE1hT7w

Steps:

1. Right click on the file and select "extract to ......."
Attachment 5689

2. It makes a folder of the unrared or unzipped files. I prefer to have the file on my desktop.
Attachment 5690

3. These are the contents of the unrared or unzipped folder
Attachment 5691

4. Click the read me text file. Follow STEP BY STEP!! It is important.
Attachment 5692

Last edited by thxone; 02-27-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:30 PM

I too want a store bought version of windows, as I said, this is just getting me by as it is what I have to work with right now....the new computer will be fully legit all the way and I can't wait!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 03:44 PM
caught the z fever

Originally Posted by thxone
I too want a store bought version of windows, as I said, this is just getting me by as it is what I have to work with right now....the new computer will be fully legit all the way and I can't wait!!!
-----------------------
Originally Posted by b300z
i can get xp pro for anyone for 10 bucks if you want it
Old 01-10-2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by b300z
-----------------------
The amount of money I have to my name right at this point..... $1.10...I have some pennies also but I don't count them.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:51 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay I want to give some mad props to thxone, for the helpful tips. As of a few days now, I have been running a legit, and updated XP system. I have media player 11, SP2. I mean I have everything updated, and it is running great! I wrote my key down, after I received it. I guess it is a permanent key for this copy. It is nice to reboot the computer, and not have to see that stupid; "You are not running a legit copy of windows" Anyway I was so happy, not to see that anymore. Thanks man, you ROCK!!
Old 01-15-2007, 12:14 PM

Okay I want to give some mad props to thxone, for the helpful tips. As of a few days now, I have been running a legit, and updated XP system. I have media player 11, SP2. I mean I have everything updated, and it is running great! I wrote my key down, after I received it. I guess it is a permanent key for this copy. It is nice to reboot the computer, and not have to see that stupid; "You are not running a legit copy of windows" Anyway I was so happy, not to see that anymore. Thanks man, you ROCK!!
Cool, I helped.....I hope it gives you many years of worry free rebooting.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:12 PM

totaly worked on my brothers puter'
thanks!!