The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

vynil dyes

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:52 AM
eff good grammar

vynil dyes

alright alright i know there arent really dyes and its a paint that if done right it sticks really really well to plastic and wont flake off if done right but!

i was wondering what good brands are out there and easily found. i'd been using stuff from a company called HI-TEC and it works awsome, only problem is i dont have access to the supplier any more (when i worked as a detailer) so the hunt is on to find something else thats decent.

i am sick of brown interior cars, some of it may be brown but not all of it.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:09 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Dupli-Color man, I will stand by it. I did most of my interior with it. And you can get it at most stores you go to.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:35 PM
eff good grammar

i was just wondering if ther was some other stuff out there that was so much better, duplicolor seems to scratch really easily
Old 01-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Über User

for vynil... the only thing better is to replace it with the color you want. other wise its a vynil paint. its not an absorbent material so you cant dye it.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:28 AM
eff good grammar

i would do that if there were cars arround here at the yards how ever since i bought a 280zx all the yards have gotten rid of them
Old 01-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Über User

buy it new. you can re-hapolster (or however you spell that ****) it your self if you got patience. or im sure thezstore sells it for some outrageous price.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:57 AM
eff good grammar

i am re-upholstering the interior but i am doing the stuff that has that crappy vynil streched over it because most of it shrank and pulled away from what ever backing it was on and it looks like hell.

no upholstering the plastic peices or the foam paices that dont have the vynil streched over it would look kind of odd, like ricer odd when they use a burlap potato sack to do a cloth interior (you seen that ****?)

lemme go get the pics of the head liner

edit:
well i cant belive i forgot to take a full pic of the head liner after it was done before i stuck it in the car, oh well

Last edited by Niku-Sama; 01-05-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:26 AM
eff good grammar

what the frick, grey vynil dye is at a premium in the valley, ONE freakin store has it and its $7 a can!

any way heres what i am having to re upholster:

the head liner was just as bad but i am going to start a new thread for the sake of keepin track of my own stuff.
i havent started on the duct taped peice yet, seems like it'll be a blast
Old 01-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
wholly geeeezooooooosssss,, mon-----you might do better by buying a roll of vinyl and doing it up right in the color of your dreams...........sheeeeesh.....the dye will not stick very long----wears off rapidly.......is similar to shoe dye.........btdt.........have fun.....
Old 01-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Usedta be Justin260z

Is that light in the hatch stock? How come my 280zx doesnt have it?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:21 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by justin260z
Is that light in the hatch stock? How come my 280zx doesnt have it?
because you don't have a REAL z.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Usedta be Justin260z

dammit
Old 01-10-2008, 08:21 PM
eff good grammar

Originally Posted by z-hag
wholly geeeezooooooosssss,, mon-----you might do better by buying a roll of vinyl and doing it up right in the color of your dreams...........sheeeeesh.....the dye will not stick very long----wears off rapidly.......is similar to shoe dye.........btdt.........have fun.....
oh no the dye is for the plastic trim peices and such, mabe over the wheel wells but it'll get a coating over it to keep it from gettin too funky.

these back peices will be done like this:
https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-280zxt-s30-s130-tech-tips-275/%24150-interior-refresh-24667/

all the types of pannels with this streched over vynil layering over the foam rubber will be cloth, the foam formed coated peices (wheel wells and shock towers) will be painted, and some dash peices (ones out of the sun) will be painted as well.

theres a black vynil dye i am going to use on the center console made by a comapny called Hi-Tec, doesent ever seem to come off. 4 years on small peices in my maxima (oh **** handles dome lights map lights) and its still like it was made that way.

this grey vynil dye is quite the oppisite, it scratches pretty easily but its not a gloss and i think thats got something to do with it.