The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Soldering/Removing Solder

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:26 PM
NisTuner

Soldering/Removing Solder

Alright, so I'm getting sick of the little problems I keep encountering here and there from using crimp connectors. Primarily the stupid ECU ground connections, it's that one huge ground wire that seems to cause some sort of problem, where it becomes loose or something, it just can't seem to be crimped correctly, or I don't have the right size.

Anyway I figured I should finally start learning to solder. I bought a 40w soldering iron from Home Depot for like $17. It's a Weller which I hear is a good brand. My biggest problem is that I seem to have a hard time getting the solder to flow into the wire like it's supposed to, I watched a bunch of videos on youtube and they were showing that the key is to tin the tip of the iron. I tried this, but either I didn't start soon enough after tinning or something. So I tried another technique I saw where you'd touch a little bit of solder from the tip of the iron to the wire to make a bridge then let the solder flow into the iron like normal. Will this work as well? Anyone have any other tips?

Also since I'm going to need to solder and remove solder when I put in the Nistune board into my Z31 ECU, is a 40w soldering iron too much, should I get a 25w for that? Also can anyone recommend a good item for removing solder?
Old 08-26-2008, 02:20 AM

ok if ur having problems with ur crimps then u need a different crimper, my last work made me buy a 50 dollar crimper and i was very impressed with it, as for sodding crap,,,...
remeber two things clean wire is a must then add flux. i prefer liquid flux. not that i know ur tech terms but iv soldered a few lol, second get the thing your trying to solder up to melting temp of solder. if ur not flowing them ur dirty or not hott enough (most of the time), iv got a weller with multi head so try this if u got the same setup, if u have a set screw that gets hot enough on the side of ur element then balence a ball of solder in the phillips screw head when it melts hold ur clean wire to it til it flows(i preheat my wire to be soldered too) if this doesnt make sense then u probably dont have the same 40 watt weller
Old 08-28-2008, 11:26 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

practice is the key. it's all about feel. if you do it enough, you'll start to know what feels right. I've had to solder some tiny stuff, without any sort of vise or anything, using one of those crappy butane irons, on top of a ladder. you just have to get a feel for it. a third hand, which is one of those stands with the adjustable arms with clips, is a great help. just get a bunch of scrap wire and practice. you'll get the hang of it.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:31 PM

a great alternitive is is a paint can cap upside down with a lil sand in it. cut 2 slits down the side o0n oppisite sides, twist the wires together with place to be soldered in middle and poof.... oklahoma third hands lol

Last edited by wake2wake21; 08-29-2008 at 01:26 AM.