The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

...so what about sequential twincharging?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:31 PM

...so what about sequential twincharging?

Im still unfamiliar with the dynamics and potentials of turbos. And im a total dreamer. This is all for fun(or maybe when im having my mid life crisis in 30 years 'cuz i ain't gon' go buy me a 'vette).

I want to put one of these bad boys in a s30.

but instead of twins i want sequential twins. would that be mechanically/physically impossible?

somebody please break it down for me!
Old 05-14-2011, 03:19 AM
Ruff Ryder

With how much turbo and metalurgy technology, science and practice have been gained this past decade or two, sequential turbo's are almost more of a novelty. Hell I've been seeing gt35R's at full spool at less then 3500RPM without nitrous. Hell people have been spooling big turbo's at low RPM's for the better part of 30 years, it all depends on how much you know about turbo's, how to correctly spec them to a motor and how to properly build a system for the turbo.

Spec'ing a turbo to a setup, is like spec'ing a cam to a motor. You just don't go grab a turbo off the shelf that looks about right on the spec sheets. You take the time to measure how much air your motor needs a it's max RPM, how much restriction is in the heads/manifolds, how much restriction and how strait is the exhaust flow to the turbo, how much restriction there is going to be from the turbo to the manifold, how restrictive is the opening of the turbo inlet, how are your driving habits, what conditions are you going to be driving the car in, what tracks you race/drive on, what the desired goal is overall with the car. These are just a few off the top of my head though. There was a guy who had flow chart for properly spec'ing a turbo to an application, but I don't have it saved on my computer anymore.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:34 AM

Jargon! You're too smart. But not smart enough to see that all you have to do is staple some mesh wire onto you grill for a quick cheap and easy 4715432rwhp.

For real tho. Yes I know turbos are a treasure to behold. But imagine all of that tuning but with the low mid and high end boost. Imagine so much boost that your tires will never catch... and you didn't answer my question about how it maybe might work when throwing a supercharger before the sequentials.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:29 AM

Nightmare to tune, and they never work as well as a well sorted out turbo setup. Want your boost at a lower RPM, maybe consider the new Borg Warner EFR turbos?
Old 05-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by SoNotaMechanic
Jargon! You're too smart. But not smart enough to see that all you have to do is staple some mesh wire onto you grill for a quick cheap and easy 4715432rwhp.

For real tho. Yes I know turbos are a treasure to behold. But imagine all of that tuning but with the low mid and high end boost. Imagine so much boost that your tires will never catch... and you didn't answer my question about how it maybe might work when throwing a supercharger before the sequentials.
Like I said, a PROPERLY spec'd turbo will be able to give you that low end. Also a blower is probably going to take longer to get boost out of then a properly spec'd turbo.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:19 AM

Sequential turbos are still around and becoming more popular on some production vehciles, like the Ford Super Duty Diesels in the last few years. There was also a Mercedes or or something like that a few years ago that used them, just to name a couple production applications.

The sequential turbo would negate any need for the supercharger, since a true sequential set-up uses two differently sized turbos, the small one would be to bring up the low RPM boost quickly, then the larger turbo multiplies the boost.

The plumbing is also unique in a sequential set-up, in that the exhaust gets plumbed through the larger turbo first, then the outlet of the large turbo's turbine gets plumbed into the smaller turbo's turbine inlet, then out to the rest of the exhaust system. The cold side runs opposite, the air filter or inlet from the atmosphere is plumbed to the smaller turbo first, then the outlet of that compressor housing is then plumbed to the inlet of the larger turbo's compressor housing, and from there goes to the engine.

When combining a super and a turbo, most of the time the turbo is plumbed to the inlet of the supercharger, then to the engine, since a roots style charger is most often used, and a roots style charger is more of a pressure multiplier than a compressor, it's more technical than that, but that's an easy way to think about it. If a centrifugal supercharger is used, I've seen the super plumbed both before and after the turbo, in different cars.

I've been thinking about sequential turbocharging my L28, since it would be nice to have a little more bottom end boost, but I think I will just get to the planned engine swap instead. lol