The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

puppy training help

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 09:05 AM
caught the z fever

puppy training help

So, my roomate bought a puggle last month, and he doesnt take care of it worth a ****, so she is always in my room. i have never owned a dog, or basically any pet before, so i dont really know what i am doing.

1. she has been partially house trained, BUT the thing is, i cant tell when she has to go usually. and when she does go in the house, she sometimes does it on those blue pads, that she has been trained on, or she will just go in other random places

2. she bites everything. i think it is because she is sick, but im not completely sure. when anyone tries to get her to stop, she just goes back, or runs off to bite something else. ive tried to tell her no, and then ignore her so that she stops, but she doesnt. ive also put her in her cage for a few minutes when she gets out of hand. but she just starts biting again 10 minutes after i take her out.

3. she is very stubborn, and she doesnt seem to realize when she has done something bad. this is where i need the most help, cuz i dont want her to end up scared and aggressive towards other people when she grows up because of how i try to scold her. ive yelled at her a few times, and push her away, and tap her on her head, but she doesnt change. her tail stays up most of the time and she just keeps doing whatever

i think thats it for now. i am a n00b when it comes to pets, so HELP PLEEZ...
Old 09-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Über User

watch the dog whisperer on TV. lol. you need to show dominance, and as long as you have many new people coming around her while she is young she should stay friendly to strangers as she grows old. dont beat the dog, just make sure she knows your boss. besides that, search google. they have dog training thinkgs off the wall. and you have a roomate? so your outta the house? No more parent rules? buy a Z. thats what im hoping to do this spring.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:53 PM

You just gotta keep at it. When she does something wrong try to scare her. Yell really loud or clap or just do something to get a jump out of her. The idea is to eventually burn into her brain that what she's doing is wrong. when you catch her chewing on something give her something that she CAN chew on instead of just trying to stop her. You can pick up a pack of dog chews at walmart for next to nothing. Just some rawhide or something. I've heard Puggles can be difficult dogs. I've got a Beagle I bought for my son when she was just a few weeks old and she was a handful. Gotta have a lotta patience for some dogs.

Last edited by jfairladyz; 09-05-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:46 PM

Patience and being consistant are two important keys I use. For the chewing some dog toys or rawhides are fine. Something to keep the dog busy. You have to always watch the dog and make sure it goes to the bathroom outside. I used the every two hour method, which was every two hours take the dog outside to go to the bathroom. It was a pain in the ***, but it works for me. Get the dog used to going outside and not in the house. Be consistant here, if not no one is to blame but yourself. Hate to be harsh there but it's the truth. I have two dogs and I grew up with having dogs in the home as inside pets. Be firm, be the alfa dog so to say, you are in charge, not the dog. Is this a puppy by the way? It's a little harder when the dog is older like a year or more older. As for not being an agressive dog, get the dog around people and other dogs...get it to socialize. Also, dogs love exercise...run around, throw the ball around, get the dog good and tired. It'll give you a little rest when the dog is sleeping. Good luck...need anymore help we're here. Just don't give up. At least you're making an effort.

Chris
Old 09-05-2006, 05:59 PM

1. Let her out on a schedule so she can get used to going out to the bathroom on those times.

2. Depending on what kind of dog you have they will teath like a baby by chewing on everything, if she appears to be sick she is probibly just in pain. Give her lots of bones and things to chew on so she wont chew your furniture.

3. Like a baby you have to teach them right and wrong, when they do something right like ask to go outside or go to the bathroom outside give them a treat imeadiatly so they will do the good thing again, then once they do this on a regular basis slowly stop giving them treats so it will just become routine, when she does something bad scare the living **** out of her by stomping your foot, claping, yelling, sneeking up on her all at once and hope she stops the bad habbit.

What kind of dog is it? Your roommate sounds like a **** head!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:36 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

get a tin can and put some change in it. when the dog does something bad, rattle it right next to her. it'll scare the crap out of her, but wont hurt her at all. just gets the message across that those behaviors have a negative consequence. and, even more vital, reward her for doing the right thing, with treats and praise.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:13 PM
caught the z fever

she is a puggle...just over 3 months old, about 8 lbs, maybe 10 in high...and her name is Dora

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
so your outta the house? No more parent rules? buy a Z. thats what im hoping to do this spring.
i would, but my dad has the title to my truck, and i cant afford insurance on a Z by myself.

the problems about trying to scare her are...i have heard that puggles can become aggressive if an owner is too harsh or loud on them....and when i try to scare her, she doesnt change her attitude at all.

i do try to do the 2 hour method as much as possible. when im home, shes out at 8:00 am, and then fed, out at 9:30 then between 11 and 12, then 2, then 4:30-5, and fed, then 6, and then just whenever were outside at night, she is usually out there. and then to sleep around 1 or 2. so, if she wakes up between 2 and 7, there are blue pads set up for her.

its basically just me and a roomates girlfriend taking care of the dog, out of 4other roomates. so, whenever im not home, dora is usually in a room by herself, because noone else wants to take care of her. also, its hard finding other small dogs like her right now. all we have around us are big dogs, which she is terrified of(along with many other things)
Old 09-06-2006, 05:10 AM

Is she in a room with no kennel or crate? That'll limit messes in the room if you get a kennel or crate. Dog won't want to sleep near where they have to go to the bathroom.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Über User

the tin can idea with pennies in it is a great idea, i completly forgot about it, i use it on my dogs. its crazy good, dont even have to be to close to them, shake it in a 10ft radius of them and they haul *** somewhere else.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
make a chew toy for her--she's teething for at least 2 more months
Old 09-07-2006, 12:12 PM
caught the z fever

she sleeps in my room when i am home, and theres only 2 spots where she will go to the bathroom in there, so i have pads out, for if/when it happens.

heres another example of the problem that happened today...i come home from 2 hrs of class(took her out before hand) and she is playin around in a little area that i had blocked off for when everyone is gone. i go into my room to turn on my comp and put away my books and stuff before i take her out, and i turn around and she is pissing on the floor. has she not gained control of her bladder yet, or is that still my problem?

is it a problem if she is scared of a lot of stuff too?
Old 09-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Über User

yeah no.....dogs get scared. some little ones get scared easily and you cant get them out of that habbit. but you can try. just try to get her around alot of people. thats only thing you dont want her scared of. vacummes are a given though. and if she is super excited wehn you come home. it could be a bladder control problem that she may have to get over with time. my grandmas dog always pee'd when my mom or sister would go over there. just like almost instantaneously it was wierd.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:11 PM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by CraigS
1. Let her out on a schedule so she can get used to going out to the bathroom on those times.

2. ... they will teath like a baby by chewing on everything, if she appears to be sick she is probibly just in pain. Give her lots of bones and things to chew on so she wont chew your furniture.

3. Like a baby you have to teach them right and wrong, when they do something right like ask to go outside or go to the bathroom outside give them a treat imeadiatly so they will do the good thing again, then once they do this on a regular basis slowly stop giving them treats so it will just become routine, when she does something bad scare the living **** out of her by stomping your foot, claping, yelling, sneeking up on her all at once and hope she stops the bad habbit.
Yup, I agree. Be sure to praise her when she potties outside. Make a big deal out it ... jump up and down, say "good girl", pat her on the head ... let her know that she did good!

When she potties indoors, you need to catch her "in the act", and firmly say, "No! Outside!", then immediately take her outside (regardless of whether she's already relieved herself). She'll should soon get the hang of it. Remember, praising her when she does go outside and verbally scolding her when she doesn't will help her understand.

Also, be sure to clean the areas in the house that she soiled, otherwise she'll smell it and it'll encourage her to go there again. Vinegar helps get rid of the odor. I know that a lot of people have had luck with the puppy pee pads, but I never have. If my pups didn't chew them up, they'd end up peeing in the area where they used to be, so I despise those pads. The pup needs to learn to "go outside", never inside. While you're away from home and can't watch her, she should be crated. Keep the door open when she's outside the crate, and keep chew toys and water in there - don't make it seem like a prison. Never put the puppy in a crate as punishment. The crate should feel like "home" and she needs to feel comfortable being in there. The penny can is a good idea if verbal commands don't work. But, I would first try the verbals.

Remember, puppies have small bladders, and what goes in must come out. Take her out immediately after feeding (don't keep food out all the time - she must be on a regular feeding schedule). She should always have water accessible though. Keep her outside for at least 15 minutes after each feeding, and if she "goes" praise her big time! If she doesn't, wait a few more minutes, and take her out again. You know she's gotta "go", so you just need to figure out her potty pattern.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Registered Zee Racer

2nd about the dog whisperer. You can pick up a lot of tips from him.

If that doesn't help get the poo piles and put in it the roomates bed between the covers or in his pillow.

z babe, are you still in GA? I trhought you were moving to CA a whlie back.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:50 PM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by Darrel
z babe, are you still in GA? I trhought you were moving to CA a whlie back.
Yeah, sorry, I haven't updated my profile in a long time ... doing it now.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:59 PM

ok lets see

1. usually when dogs or pups have to go and they haven't been trained they will start sniffin around for a place to go if you see start to do this just take him outside for alittle bit and he should go.

2. I can assure you pups not sick. Depending on how old they are if shes young her teeth are still growing and like babies their gums hurt so they chew on everything. Git a soft chewable (cheap) toy from wal-mart and when ever she starts to chew on something take the toy and get her intrested in that and soon she will know that thats the only thing she should chew on.

3. First when she does something bad you have to tell her right when she does it. Sya she went in the floor but you did't see her do it you can't just scold her for it because she doesn't know waht shes in trouble for. When she does something bad and you catch her try makin a loud noise behind her of hit her nose after awhile she will learn not to do it.

P.s. The worse thing to do if she goes in the floor is to wipe her nose in it. DO NOT DO THIS! It make the pup sick and also scared of you.

If none of this works you have a psyco pup! lol
Old 09-08-2006, 09:45 PM
caught the z fever

Originally Posted by NoLimits
ok lets see

1. usually when dogs or pups have to go and they haven't been trained they will start sniffin around for a place to go if you see start to do this just take him outside for alittle bit and he should go.

2. I can assure you pups not sick. Depending on how old they are if shes young her teeth are still growing and like babies their gums hurt so they chew on everything. Git a soft chewable (cheap) toy from wal-mart and when ever she starts to chew on something take the toy and get her intrested in that and soon she will know that thats the only thing she should chew on.

3. First when she does something bad you have to tell her right when she does it. Sya she went in the floor but you did't see her do it you can't just scold her for it because she doesn't know waht shes in trouble for. When she does something bad and you catch her try makin a loud noise behind her of hit her nose after awhile she will learn not to do it.

P.s. The worse thing to do if she goes in the floor is to wipe her nose in it. DO NOT DO THIS! It make the pup sick and also scared of you.

If none of this works you have a psyco pup! lol
1. shes part beagle...sniffing is their business, ive already tried that.

2. she is sick. i do know that. and i read that if dogs are sick, they will bite more. wether or not thats why she was biting, i didnt know. but im sure its just from teething now

she is doing better tho. im starting to train her on the leash now, so that i can take her places to meet new people.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:18 AM
Über User

good news. and puppies are a definate chick magnet. lol. at least a good way to start a convo when a cute runs up "awwww, look at the cute puppy..."
Old 09-12-2006, 04:38 PM

yes thats true
Old 09-13-2006, 01:43 AM
Sept Z of the month

Puppies are chick magnets fo sho. I like to use what I call "big boye voice" I am a little guy (5 4 on a good day) but I have a voice to rival any drill sergeant out there. My dogs cower in fear and usually run to their cage when I use it. So try sounding off like ya got a pair! Woeks for me.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:34 PM
caught the z fever

heres some pics of her

Old 09-13-2006, 03:37 PM
User Friendly

Awe, she IS a real chick magnet! I wanna pet her!
Old 09-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Über User

haha. that is a cute *** puppy.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:45 PM
Sept Z of the month

Gotta love puppies. Show and Tell time!!
Roxy

Vinnie

My wife likes little dogs. When we get back to the states and get a yard I want a Dobey. Named Lucifer. Done.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Über User

i dont have any photo's of when my dogs used to be puppies, but i have one of my kitty

Quick Reply: puppy training help