The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

puppy training help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 06:49 PM
caught the z fever

ok....got a new problem

when i take her outside to go to the bathroom, or to play around, when i try to get her to go in, she runs away fomr me into other yards. most of the time she wont listen to me whenever she starts to run away. when i sit down, shell usually come to me tho. it gets REALLY annoying sometimes when i have to crawl after her.
or she just walks around outside trying to get into other yards. how do i keep her from doing that. or, how do i teach her boundaries?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:28 PM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by b300z
ok....got a new problem. when i take her outside to go to the bathroom, or to play around, when i try to get her to go in, she runs away fomr me into other yards. most of the time she wont listen to me whenever she starts to run away. when i sit down, shell usually come to me tho. it gets REALLY annoying sometimes when i have to crawl after her.
or she just walks around outside trying to get into other yards. how do i keep her from doing that. or, how do i teach her boundaries?
You need to put her on a leash when you take her outside. Take her to the same spot where she previously pottied so she can smell it. Don't allow her to play while she's outside, otherwise she may not understand what she's out there to do. If she does potty, you have to make a really big deal out of it, like "What a good girl!" If she starts to play, then take her back inside, keep a very close eye on her, and if you see her try to potty in the house, immediately say "NO, outside!", and take her back out (grab the leash on your way out, and keep it right by the door at all times).
Old 10-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Big Poppa

have you made an official potty word yet? my dogs command used to be "hurry up" that way we didnt have to yell "take a ****!!" it can be anything, as long as it incourages the dog to go potty. and yes, you must get her on the leash to esablish exactly where she must go potty. and how old is she now, and do you have a schedule for her potty time, they need to start at 2 hours, then gradually move to 8 hours over a large period of time, like 3-4 months or more. crate training can also help this if you are away for a period of time, the crate must be just large enough for the dog, the dog will not go potty in its own bedding area. this is true for the whole house, the dog must think the house is its den, therefor it cannot go potty in its den (ie your house) to train this properly, the dog must sleep in each room for at least a week with its bed. then it will know that the house is its den. there is crap loads of tricks and tips on the net if you google it too. but these are the must common teqniques. hope that helps
Old 10-05-2006, 09:03 AM
caught the z fever

Originally Posted by SHADY280
the dog will not go potty in its own bedding area. this is true for the whole house, the dog must think the house is its den, therefor it cannot go potty in its den (ie your house) to train this properly, the dog must sleep in each room for at least a week with its bed. then it will know that the house is its den. there is crap loads of tricks and tips on the net if you google it too. but these are the must common teqniques. hope that helps
that will help with the rest of the house. ive got her potty trained in the basement and 2nd floor, but when were not around her, shell just take a dump on the couch(leather btw) in the living room. ill set up her bed up there next week probably

she knows what she has to do when she goes outside. i ALWAYS make sure she goes to the bathroom first, cuz if she doesn't, then she usually wont.
but its afterwards, like when i play with her outside, or when someone just takes her outside to run around is when she is hard to control. i take her leash off so she can run around, and when i try to go in, she wont always follow. or she will run into the neighbors yard, and ill try to tell her or get her back to our yard, and she will just stand there, or keep walking around, or run away from me.

EDIT: forgot to add. kitty usually sleeps on the main floor, and is almost always in the living room. how do i accomodate Dora's cage and bed so that she does not get riled up when she sees kitty? should i put a blanket over her cage when she goes to sleep?

Last edited by b300z; 10-05-2006 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:48 AM

If you are not up to the task of training a dog then it is almost always a good idea to take some time from life to goto a pro dog trainer, it will pay off in the end and is not all the expensive. For the chewing...lol get some red cayenne pepper powder or some wasabi paste and put it where the dog commonly chews, it will put an end to the chewing pretty quick when it gets its first taste. But it is a young puppy so chew toys are a must just as they are for human babies.

Last edited by thxone; 10-05-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:01 AM
No Club Love

What i'd do with the dog cat situation, is just let them be together. You don't want a cat killer later in life like my dog. And usually the cat i'll leave, when they want to get away, then just smack the dog if she keeps going at it. Tell, her no. Chewing get her a bone and treats and such. Then when she's bad or good tell her. Then treats for good behavior.
On a side note, wht in black dragon auto, the a/c compressors from94-96 listed the same. when they aren't. So there swapable, aren't they.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:20 AM
caught the z fever

Originally Posted by thxone
If you are not up to the task of training a dog then it is almost always a good idea to take some time from life to goto a pro dog trainer, it will pay off in the end and is not all the expensive.
honestly, i probably would seek professional help, but i do not have enough money to throw towards that, and the actual owner of the dog wont do it either.

Originally Posted by wreckedj30
What i'd do with the dog cat situation, is just let them be together. You don't want a cat killer later in life like my dog. And usually the cat i'll leave, when they want to get away, then just smack the dog if she keeps going at it. Tell, her no.
ive tried to calm it between them, and am still trying to train her not to. she will either spot kitty and attack her(jump on and bite...kitty will either sit there and whine or will bite and claw Dora back) or kitty will lead her on and she will attack kitty. it gets pretty crazy sometimes, which is why i want it to stop. Dora already hurt one of kitty's paws.

Originally Posted by wreckedj30
On a side note, wht in black dragon auto, the a/c compressors from94-96 listed the same. when they aren't. So there swapable, aren't they.
i doubt its worth the effort/fabrication. like i said, put it up in the classifieds on other forums. it should sell. i woulda had my latter style sold for 200 if it wasnt ruined(previous owner didnt plug the holes on eiher one )
Old 10-05-2006, 04:31 PM
No Club Love

Well is the cat full grown, it should be able to defend it self, if not just hold the dog and pet the cat, or even just let the cat free roam, around the dog.Then tell the dog no and such when she growls. Ya no, just let them alone, then they'll get along with each other, thats what all my dogs did, well when they were puppies. Now the dog i have, will taste a cat, just to see what its like, but the cats dead. Oh and don't tell z hag, she'll be pist. Oh and for profressional help, just go to petco or petsmart, can't remember which one, but if you sign up, its a couple weekend days, i think its free they'll help train your dog.
When ever i post anything at the marketplace, it doesn't sell. Maybe its me but they just don't. I got an lsd for a 240sx, for a couple hundred, and all the j30 parts. Maybe these will sell in a pet posting.? I'm not jacking
Old 10-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Big Poppa

yup just put them together and stay with the 2 just as a refferee. and yes move the bed upstairs no, then the couch dumping will stop. she will get to learn all the things you want, it just takes time. and its not your dog? then what the heck do you have it for