The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Military guys, please read!

Old 01-10-2006, 12:28 PM

Military guys, please read!

My friend Dan just joined the military and his MOS is demolition, and I recieved a call today from this guy who works for the government, he has something to do with dealing with classified information (can't remember the branch, but he said he worked hand in hand with the FBI). I asked this guy how he got my information, and he said that it was classified, and that he was not allowed to release this information to civilians. I guess I'm just curious how he could have figured out my name, address, etc, and if this anything I should worry about. He asked me for a few numbers of my friends that I had mentioned, and I didn't give them to him, because I don't want to put anyone else through an interrogation without being informed first. I knew Dan had put me down as a reference, but the guy said that he didn't choose me as a reference. Kind of weird to me...
Old 01-10-2006, 01:33 PM

That is kind of odd. All of the background investigations that I've ever been a part of (which numbers more than a few) inolved an agent meeting me in person. It's very important to verify his identity. If he is unwilling to explain the nature of his call then you should be just as unwilling to cooperate.

Last edited by roneski; 01-10-2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Z8 driver

Originally Posted by Fast240Z
My friend Dan just joined the military and his MOS is demolition, and I recieved a call today from this guy who works for the government, he has something to do with dealing with classified information (can't remember the branch, but he said he worked hand in hand with the FBI). I asked this guy how he got my information, and he said that it was classified, and that he was not allowed to release this information to civilians. I guess I'm just curious how he could have figured out my name, address, etc, and if this anything I should worry about. He asked me for a few numbers of my friends that I had mentioned, and I didn't give them to him, because I don't want to put anyone else through an interrogation without being informed first. I knew Dan had put me down as a reference, but the guy said that he didn't choose me as a reference. Kind of weird to me...

what was he wanting to know? I'm not quite following ya on this one? he asked for your friends #'s? Why did you mention them? I don't get it....
Old 01-10-2006, 03:51 PM

I guess I didn't explain all that well. This guy named Charles called me earlier today, wanting to meet me to help him run a background check on my friend Dan. We met at Starbucks (my choice), and he asked me some questions about my friend's credibility, and if my friend would be a good canidate for handling sensitive information. Throughout the conversation and check, Charles asked me how I met Dan, and I told him through a mutual friend. I told him my other friend's name, but no numbers, in case my other friend didn't want to speak to Charles himself. He asked me some more questions, like how trustworthy Dan is, and if Dan has ever been a spy, to put it simply. Charles did show me identification and he had a badge as well, so I feel that it's legit. What I found to be weird was that I asked how he got my contact information, if it was through a reference when Dan enlisted in the army. Charles said that I was not a reference, and then I asked how he got my information then. All Charles said was that they (the bureau) have ways of obtaining information that cannot be released to civilians. Weird?
Old 01-10-2006, 09:18 PM

Better check all your smoke detectors for hidden cameras and wires That does sound a little strange. But then again if he's headed toward a field that deals with sensitive information then maybe they wanted to make double sure this guy isn't going to spill the beans to whoever. I mean theoretically, he could've been a spy and just put references that would play along with his story. So to combat a situation like that the military digs a little deeper and finds their own references just to be safe. Just a theory on my part but who knows.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:14 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

sounds about right. they probably got your name from another reference. i was in the navy for 4 years, and in a field that required a high clearance, and they asked for references. the depth of the background check depends on the nature of the information that he would have access to. they can be quite good at digging stuff up.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:51 AM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

Yeah, like entropy and roneski said, they're conducting an investigation from the Office of Personnel Management. I hope Charles showed you his badge and ID. The only reason why you got called is because your buddy referenced you. Remember to kick him in the nads later for doing this to you.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:39 AM

I misunderstood. I thought that this all occurred over the phone. If he met you in person and showed you an ID then yeah, it sounds pretty standard.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:23 AM
Z8 driver

you should have at LEAST got him to buy you lunch for your time spent.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by DynamicJ
you should have at LEAST got him to buy you lunch for your time spent.
I said Starbucks, and he said that he wasn't allowed to buy me lunch!
Old 01-11-2006, 01:45 PM

Well, I wish I would have joined yesterday... Well it sounds like Dan got a good job!! Well it is standard, they come out to each persons contacts, and the agent was prolly new, thats why he was unsure what he could or could not tell you. When I joined the Air Force, everyone I put as a reference got a interview. They did not appreciate that. The only thing good about the investigation is that if he goes for a job at a big facility, for example, Microsoft, they will hire him due to the fact that they do not have to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars for a back ground check. something good to have in a resume
Old 01-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Z8 driver

Originally Posted by WolfMan
Well, I wish I would have joined yesterday... Well it sounds like Dan got a good job!! Well it is standard, they come out to each persons contacts, and the agent was prolly new, thats why he was unsure what he could or could not tell you. When I joined the Air Force, everyone I put as a reference got a interview. They did not appreciate that. The only thing good about the investigation is that if he goes for a job at a big facility, for example, Microsoft, they will hire him due to the fact that they do not have to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars for a back ground check. something good to have in a resume
It is good to have in your resume. I've been in the Air Force for about 4 years now. when did you join? have you went through basic and all yet?

no one I put down ever had an interview... but I have a VERY clean record, so they may have bypassed that step...

also, I was a mechanic when I first got in, and that isn't a top secret type of job.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

Took me almost 2 years to get my clearance. It's probably because I'm Asian. You know how we are.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ensmuns
Yeah, like entropy and roneski said, they're conducting an investigation from the Office of Personnel Management. I hope Charles showed you his badge and ID. The only reason why you got called is because your buddy referenced you. Remember to kick him in the nads later for doing this to you.
Well, if he is in the Navy/Marine Corp. it would be NCIS and the FBI that carries out the investigation (depending whether it is Secret or Top Secret). I was on the same ship as Entropy31, so I know what he knows and we both have clearance. I'd imagine that it is a Top Secret clearence, because your friend is going to be a part of demo, which is usually a part of spec ops. Yeah, you got the call because your name came up during another interview with one of your buddy's friends. It is standard precedure to follow up on any lead you get. The written references are usually close friends (you're not allowed to reference family with the DOD, though they will still interview them to see what your family is like) and close friends always talk about you as if you had diamond turds and spoke in symphony. So, they like to hear from your enemies as well as your friends. The thing you have to understand is that this is an investigation that is related to National Defense. So, it does take a while. He may go to his first permenant duty station still holding an interim clearance. It took 2 years for mine to finally get cleared. Don't sweat it, they could care less about you unless you have an arsenal in your basement and your last name happens to be Bin Laden. They just want to know what kind of character this friend of yours is. Just as a side note, for a Top Secret clearance, it usually costs anywhere between $150,000 to $500,000 to complete the investigation. It just depends on what leads they get from the people that are interviewed.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by jaffi
Just as a side note, for a Top Secret clearance, it usually costs anywhere between $150,000 to $500,000 to complete the investigation. It just depends on what leads they get from the people that are interviewed.
Excuse my language, but holy ****ing jesus. that's an insane amount of cash to spend on doing a background check. I'd gladly take an eighth of that...it'd be able to fix my Z up pretty well! Thanks for all of the info though guys, I didn't feel too threatened, but I just wanted to know why my friend might get investigated. My father went into the army for demo, switched to information tech, and then became a paratrooper. He said that he had a background check done on him too when he went in for demo, because it is part of the whole spec ops things, and that with the right information he was given, he could pretty much render weapons of war useless if he wanted to use the information given to him against the people who gave it to him. Makes sense to me though.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:41 AM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

I fix type writers.