The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

internet

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Pr0n Addict

internet

can someone give me help with my internet?

i just got cable internet, and have it run to my room wirelessly. the speed it GREAT. when it works. it usually stops in the middle of anything that it is loading, requiring me to refresh several times. watching a video on youtube, i do so in 30 bits because i have to click on the loading bar to get it to start again. any advise?

BTW, the computer downstairs, that it plugged into the router, has about the same speed as mine, but doesn't have this problem. it is pretty consistant
Old 04-12-2008, 11:29 AM
w0rld's l0ngest m0t0rswap

how do you make a "net"work with no wires?
I have everything wired and with a few Zip ties everything looks really tidy. plus think of all the hackers that can hack your hackable hackstation!
Old 04-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Über User

not my wifi. its secured. ou needs wep key to hacks my intrawebs!
Old 04-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Pr0n Addict

to make a wireless network, you use the wirless network connetion wizard. the router is meant for it. and there isn't any one around that could pick up the signal. i'm in the middle of the woods. i evidently can't even pick up the signal 30 feet away in my room
Old 04-12-2008, 08:19 PM
The Good Twin

What brand router & card are you using?
Old 04-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Pr0n Addict

belkin 54g. it has a usb type card. i did a defrag today, and it seems to have helped a bit, but it still stops and requires me to refresh quite often
Old 04-13-2008, 01:09 AM
Über User

belkin? well theres your problem. belkin SUCKS. use lynksis
Old 04-13-2008, 01:23 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
use lynksis
It's LINKSYS you n00b. I'll forgive you because you're prolly sloshed outta ya gourd right now....l
Old 04-13-2008, 01:41 AM
Über User

how did you know? and im not sloshed outta my mind, im definatly up to driving for a good cause. but not for joy only an emergency. so just a pretty good buzz. however im going to hope i dont get that E-call where a car is required to be under my control cause though im not of danger to anyone, im sure i cold still get boned by the law. sleep time!
Old 04-13-2008, 02:33 AM

Belkin isn't bad. I had a Belkin router for a while there, and had no complaints.

With your wireless, how is your signal strength? This will have a major impact on your wireless thoroughput. For XP, 3 bars or higher is good enough to not cause major issues.

Another test would be to run a continuous ping, and see if you get any dropped packets. It's pretty easy to run, just hold down your windows key (the one that looks like the MS logo, or like a flag) and press R at the same time. A dialog box should open, and you want to type in "cmd" (without the quotes). Hit enter, and a command window should open (black box with white text). Now, type in "ping -t www.youtube.com" (without the quotes, just like above) and hit enter. You are now sending a continuous stream of packets to youtube, and this will continue to go on for an infinite amount of time until you stop it. Let the ping run for about 2 minutes or so (time it) and then after the two minute mark of it sending a ping request, hold down control (crtl) and press c at the same time. This will end the ping request, and will give you a status report. Read the report and see if there are any lost packets. If there are less than 3% or so packet loss, then you are ok, but any more and I would be really concerned. Also take a look at the approximate round trip times, and see if the spread between minimum and maximum isn't too long. If the minimum is somewhere around 20ms and your max is around 300ms, then you've got a problem. You should have a pretty tight spread. Also take note of your average, and this should be somewhere close to the middle of the min and max.

Check those numbers out, and get back to us. The ping test can be customized, where you can type in different web addresses to check and see if there are problems to just one site. For example, instead of typing "ping -t www.youtube.com", you could type "ping -t www.zdriver.com" to see if you have an issue contacting one site specifically.

Good luck, and tell us what you find out.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Pr0n Addict

wow thanks a lot for taking the time to explain that. i'm running the ping test right now.

sent= 91
recieved= 87
loss=4%
min RT= 89
max RT=130
ave= 95

on that topic, when i check my status, it says i'm not sending any packets at all. this is why i don't trust these guages on computers lol. but my signal strength is usually 4 bars. i have a 400 foot radius on my router and i'm about 30 feet away with only 2 walls between. i was thinking about getting a USB extention cord and putting the card outside the room so there is only one wall between.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:12 AM

The packet loss is something that I would be concerned with. When I set up routers at work I usually get maybe a 1% packet loss with a wireless range of over 50 feet, and through the second story of a home. You may want to try changing your wireless channel, if you have any computer directly connected to the router via an ethernet cable. It's not too hard to do to change the channel, you just have to log into the router via Internet Explorer.

I'll try to explain how to change the channel quickly, as I need to get going to work. Try pulling up a command prompt like I described earlier (crtl C, then cmd, enter) and type in "ipconfig" this time. You may have a whole bunch of info come up at this point, so you will need to scroll up the command prompt window if it scrolled down with too much info. You are looking for a set of numbers that start with 192.168.xxx.xxx. You should have a list that says IP Address: 192.168.xxx.xxx, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, and a default gateway of 192.168.xxx.xxx. Write down the default gateway address, and this is the address you need to type into Internet Explorer to log into your router. If my memory serves me correctly, Belkin routers have a default gateway ip address of 192.168.2.1, but by running ipconfig you can verify this for your own network.

From there, open up internet explorer, and type in the default gateway you got above, without any http or slashes or anything. Press enter, and a belkin setup page should appear. On the left side of the page, you should have a link that says wireless settings or something to the like (you may have a link that says wireless channel specifically. if you do, you can click on that link instead). Click on the relevant link, and you should have a page come up asking you to log into the router. There should be no password set up on the router, so just click login, and you should be able to change the settings. Once you see the wireless channel settings, it should be in a drop down selection box. If you click on the box, you can change from channels 1 through 11. In my experience, the most common used wireless channels are 1, 5, 6, and 11. I usually set all of the routers I configure to channel 9, and I have the best results there.

Change the channel, and you should have a button that says save or apply, or something of the like. Click it, and you should be good to go. If you plugged directly into the router via ethernet, then you shouldn't have anything to do with the computer at this point, but if you went wireless then you may have to give the computer a minute or so to connect to the new wireless channel.

Sorry if my directions aren't clear and concise, but I've got to get running off to work. Let me know if you need a better set of instructions and I'll actually get my Belkin router out of the closet and give you a better walkthrough.

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Pr0n Addict

you are being a lot of help. thankyou for taking all that time for that. i'll do that at some point tonight and post back. i hope something works!
Old 04-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Pr0n Addict

ok i have done all of that. the channel was set to auto before. i used 9. 2 other good looking options are turbo and extend range. both are disabled. any chance that these would help?

i am using wireless on my computer. it's only about 30 feet away, but upstairs and through 2 walls. my parents wouldn't tolerate a cable running through the house lol.

and no, your directions were perfectly easy to understand. i have learned more about computers from you than any other one place!! thankyou very much

and wow did that help! you rock!! i have 0% loss now and average RT speed is 120ms. i didn't do the test for quite 2 minutes, more like a minute and a half. i'll to it again to see if it looses any. but thankyou so much! that was a huge help to me! no body else has been able to do anything with it!!
Old 04-13-2008, 06:25 PM

No problem man! Glad to help. I work for firedog, Circuit City's computer tech support. I'm their in home tech, and networking is my expertise. The extended range option might be something to play around with. Turn it on and see what happens.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:02 AM
eff good grammar

not my wifi. its secured. ou needs wep key to hacks my intrawebs!
doesent matter, the right person and its a peice of cake.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:12 AM
Über User

LOL! the right person? its a 14 digit random letter and number code. the only way to get it is to get inside my house and get the WEP key off the bottom of my router.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:08 AM
eff good grammar

keep thinkin that
Old 04-14-2008, 01:18 AM

LOL! the right person? its a 14 digit random letter and number code. the only way to get it is to get inside my house and get the WEP key off the bottom of my router.
With the right software (linux live cd) and the right hardware (prism based chipset wlan card) you can crack wep keys in as little as 30 seconds, but on average takes 10 minutes. With WEP, the keycode is sent to the computer via an encrypted packet, and the computer decides if your WEP key is correct or not. With the right linux build, its easy to crack WEP.

I'd recommend WPA-PSK if your router supports it. With WPA, the key is pre shared, and all of the key requests are sent through the router instead of done on the computer. As of now, the only way to break a WPA key is by using a brute force or dictionary attack. Both of these methods take way too long to perform, as long as your key is long and unique. My network is set up with WPA, and my key is my vin number for my Z. Almost impossible to guess, and would take pretty damned long to break using a brute force attack.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:22 AM

I now remembered the live cd I used last time I was messing around with WEP networks. It's called backtrack, and comes with all different programs for network and security penetration. Even comes with software for bluesnarfing mobile phones.

http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html
Old 04-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Über User

meh, still not worried. i can barely get signal in my garage and i live in a small neighborhood in a very good town, im pretty doubtful anyone is even thinking of stealing my internet.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:38 AM
The Evil Twin

if Snwy can hack into his parents' wireless internet, anyone can.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Über User

hack? lol. something like that....
Old 05-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Pr0n Addict

well if anybody could be so generous, i could use a little more help with this computer....

the computer is pretty much generally slowing down. while scrolling through a page, it jumps a bit. i can't acces at all google or yahoo. zdriver, youtube, and most others work, but those big ones won't work. it just seems like there is too much crap on here. so how do i clean it out? whenever i go end tasks or anything, it ends up causing a really bad problem
Old 05-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
take the machine to somewhere there is both electricity and signal and download AVG8 free......use it regularly, defrag it, put all your pictures onto a disc for storage not in your computer, pray to the gods of interwebs you ARE ALLOWED TO oops participate with slower goods than mine......thankyou godz for the rest of'em.....poor saps.......good luck, sweetie........hope it works..........

Quick Reply: internet