The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Hello Everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Opinionated

Hello Everyone!

Hey everyone! Long time no see! Alot has changed since i last posed here, yet after googling for an answer to help me with another car of mine, i was once again led back here and decided to post and see how all was around these parts.

For those of you who don't know or haven't seen me posting on other Z sites, i have a 90 TT now, and i recently got a 90 240sx for $300 thats in need of some love (and the reason for my googling...)

Hopefully i'll start posting around here some more and maybe find some answers to resolve the problems i'm having with this new project (i really need to finish one before i get a second...hehe)
Old 10-07-2007, 10:29 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome back! What's the probs w/ the 240sx? I have dabbled w/ the S13... and Bardabe has quite a bit of experience w/ them too.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Doesn't post much...

Nice of you to drop by!!!!

How've you been?

Not much has changed around here

Rod.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Opinionated

glad to see everyone is still so welcoming around here! A nice change of pace compared to the rest of the car forums.

As for the 240, costing $300 and being a 90, im sure you all can imagine what sort of shape this thing was in. Pretty much i bought the car out of the backyard of some redneck one town over from me. Car started up and ran and would die, so i figured it had some potential to be worked with.

Got it home, threw some seafoam in the remaining gas, and into the crank and it sat for 2 days. Went back home (to my mothers where the car is), and started it and she cranked up first try and idled and i gave her some gas and she would SLOWLY rev up and seemed like she hit a wall and wouldnt go any higher. I didnt look at the rpm but i think it was around 2500 (MAF.. which i just though about checking, but again im not sure what RPM i didnt really pay attention. So i went about and pulled the old plugs which were horrible and popped in new ones today. She didnt start nearly as easily this time but with a little coaxing she came to life, would run for about 10 seconds if i didnt feather the throttle, and then would die again.

Now i know there is a probably really bad exhaust manifold gasket leak/crack in the headers but i havent been able to look at that futher yet im just trying to get her to idle semi decent before i dig into this deeper
Old 10-07-2007, 11:43 PM

If it has been sitting in someones backyard you may want to look at the intake from the air filter back also as some animals will make homes in there blocking the airflow.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Opinionated

good point, i'll deffinately take a look. I did however check the air filter/box and all looked well there but i'll look further down the line and see if anything comes up.

Whats a good way to test the MAF to see if its one of my problems? Unplug it and start the car and see if she runs any different/same?
Old 10-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Über User

probably wont really run without the maf.... you could try it, but that doesnt mean it just isnt bad. might be a way to test it with a ohm meter. try to look it up in an SX forum or google. change that gas and oil though! gas might be varnish by now.... try a new cap and rotor while your at it, and change out the fuel filters and blow out teh lines.... also, just go over ALL the important electrical connections and clean them good. should have a healthy car by then.