The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

is this guy scamming me? i cant tell. lol

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Über User

is this guy scamming me? i cant tell. lol

well as you know im selling my 260 and this is wierd... like he is believeable but still, its wierd. this is our convo so far. tell me what you guys think:

him: Hello I came across your ad which you posted for sale on site so am interested in purchasing it, i will need you to get back to me with the following . LAST OFFERING PRICE FOR IT:PRESENT CONDITION:RECENT PICTURES: So i will be expecting the following from you so we can proceed on thisso your qucik response on this will be highly needed RegardsPhil

i answered condition and with pics and made up an offering price lol

him: Hello

Thanks for emailing me link of the car as i will be willing to purchase the car and i do have few questions for you. Are you the original owner of the car ? If not How long have you had it and How long have you used it? Why are you selling it and what would be your final bottom price for it.

I will be glad to hear from you.

Thanks
Phil

i answered those simple questions yet again and asked where he was from and how he saw my ad

him: Hi

I am located in the UK and i saw your ad at Zcar.com.I will offer you $4500 for the car and i will be having our local transporters here in the UK to come to your location for a test drive process on the car and moreover i will have to make a down payment to you so as to make you reserve the carfor me for not getting it sold to other interested buyer's till the test drive and the sale will be done as it would take time to get all of that done.

I will make a down payment of $1000 and also i will include the test drive fees which will cost for $2500 and mind you i want the payment made out to you by check and also as soon as the funds of $3500 have been cleared into your account i will like you to have the
car ready for the test drive process and also you will make the remaining funds of $2500 payable to the transporters to cover for the inspection fees and all other expenses during inspection.

I will be looking forward for proceedings to you and also get back to me with the full names,mailing address and phone number the check can be made payable to you.

I will be looking forward to hear from you.

Regards
Phil

thats where i get scared..... UK is far... and i dont know why you would find this car valuable enough to ship to the UK. you know? so i told him how i felt but to let me know more about this arrangement deal and that i will not give him any of my account info though nore will i let the car leave my house till all the money is in the bank and cleared and i will not accept personal checks of any sort.

so idk. what the hell is up with this guy?
Old 11-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

hmmmm......if they want the car they should come get it not matter where they live. he should get someone to look at or something. sounds sketchy to me. its up to you.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:55 PM
The Good Twin

Yes it's a scam.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:56 PM
caught the z fever

how about i send you $4000 thru Western and ill come pick up the car personally. no need to worry about keeping the title, the check will clear without a problem.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:57 PM
West Coast!

seems like a scam if i ever heard one just tell him for the cash up front if he has it in the bank then he can pull it out and give you cold cash no need for the bulls**t. and if not you can sell it to me for $20 but you have to pay for the gas for me to take it home
Old 11-08-2007, 08:59 PM
The Good Twin

http://www.fraudguides.com/internet-...list-scams.asp
Old 11-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Über User

u serious b?? ill tell you now, the CHTS is crap so the car runs like poop till its warm, fully warmed up, not just teh water temp guage, the actual block. im in teh process of getting a new one though. but other wise sure. i got another offer from a guy thats going to be in the area though the 23rd i guess... and i thought it was a scam, but he claims to have people coming out to look at it test drive it blah blah blah... it was a very elaborate plan. i should just scam him back. lol
Old 11-08-2007, 09:04 PM
West Coast!

sure and then you go to jail and i take your car in the night...sounds like a plan
Old 11-08-2007, 09:11 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

scam. period. and that guy has better grammar than you do snw.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Über User

i thought it strange to scam off a Z site though.... he's "from" zcar.com so i also asked his user name on there so i can try to look him up on it
Old 11-08-2007, 09:24 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by dude
Hello I came across your ad which you posted for sale on site so am interested in purchasing it, i will need you to get back to me with the following . LAST OFFERING PRICE FOR IT:PRESENT CONDITION:RECENT PICTURES
Same exact words for every scam guy. They search all kinds of forums. You already posted a price and pics. Doesn't it seem odd he asks for that again? Its a scam. Don't get all excited thinking you found a buyer.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:24 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
i thought it strange to scam off a Z site though.... he's "from" zcar.com so i also asked his user name on there so i can try to look him up on it
well, if he passed the rigorous background check at zcar.com, he must be legit .
Old 11-08-2007, 09:28 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by entropy31
well, if he passed the rigorous background check at zcar.com, he must be legit .
oh ya, I didnt' catch that part.

He seems fine Snwy. Go ahead with the deal.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Über User

yeah, i knew of that phrase... im not excited cause i have other interests... ur right. fudge this guy. im tellin him to send his testdriver with cash in hand or to gtfo

EDIT: i just checked on the active members... and theres alot of guests on here, and then ALOT of members viewing this thread. lol.... scams are popular material i guess.... but go to chat

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 11-08-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:34 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

yeah, i knew of that phrase... im not excited cause i have other interests... ur right. fudge this guy. im tellin him to send his testdriver with cash in hand or to gtfo

EDIT: i just checked on the active members... and theres alot of guests on here, and then ALOT of members viewing this thread. lol.... scams are popular material i guess.... but go to chat
Old 11-08-2007, 09:40 PM

SCAM... tell him to bring the $$$... US$, a friend had the same thing happened to him... I'll send you a check for the car + $ for the shipping... let the check clear... and my guy will take care of the rest... so he took the check to the bank and they (the bank) just about took him (my friend) to jail for a bad check... LOL ONLY US$$$ RUN RUN...
Old 11-08-2007, 10:28 PM
caught the z fever

u serious b?? ill tell you now, the CHTS is crap so the car runs like poop till its warm, fully warmed up, not just teh water temp guage, the actual block. im in teh process of getting a new one though. but other wise sure. i got another offer from a guy thats going to be in the area though the 23rd i guess... and i thought it was a scam, but he claims to have people coming out to look at it test drive it blah blah blah... it was a very elaborate plan. i should just scam him back. lol

i successfully scammed you
Old 11-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Über User

hardy har har.... thats it.. im not finding you an S30 now.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:42 PM

These stupid scammers pull the same lines even on non-automotive items. As soon as I see them make no specific reference to what I'm selling, that makes me roll my eyes, since that gives it away in the first few lines of what they write. Like, they'll call it, "the item", or ask questions where the answers were clearly in the ad (ie pictures, price, etc).

Something else I always find funny is how they try to be all formal and proper-sounding, but the grammar is so poor that I can't help but laugh at the feeble attempt. In this case, they should've said they were from a different country than the UK, to at least be an excuse for the poor grammar!

I thought that scam had been around so long that everyone knew about it. But I guess not, which must be what they're hoping for. I always just want to respond back with, "Has that ever actually worked?"

Last edited by Heat Rave R; 11-08-2007 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:44 AM

Man, these scammers do it to everyone. My niece got taken on the same scam and she's a freshman in college. I know, I know and she's suppose to be a smart kid. Her mom and I had to pony up $1000 to bank to keep her out of problem. Lucky, she was only out $200 by time the whole thing was discovered by her mom monitoring her account.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:17 AM
Usedta be Justin260z

When these scammers send me emails, I like to mess with them. Its fun. Every time I post something on Craigslist, I get aout 2 to 3 scammers. Sometimes more.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:26 AM
The Evil Twin

tell them the price is $120,000.
It would be fun just to keep the fake 120K check they send.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Über User

hahaha ^^^^ thats a good one i think i will do that
Old 11-09-2007, 09:04 PM

I got this message today. The car for sell is a rolled Ford Contour for only $700 bucks. Amazing that someone would want to ship it! I really like the line "buy it from you on full trust"

Thanks for your rapid response to my mail.No problems about the damages can fixed it. I am really interested in it. Also I am okay with the price and will like to buy it from you on full trust. Payment will be made with a certified check, Regards the pickup i will have to employ the service of my personal shipping company that handles all my shippments. So i will like u to get back to me with your phone number, full name and address for me to make the payment.

Note:- The payment will include some excess which you will give to the shipping company to bring it to me. I am picking up some other items in your area.They will contact you as soon as you receive the funds.Pls let me know quickly if you are okay with this terms.I need it ugent.

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bleach
tell them the price is $120,000.
It would be fun just to keep the fake 120K check they send.
The only reason I wouldn't do that is simply because I don't want to give them my address.

Man this is annoying. I put up a DVD/TV head unit up for sale on CL, and all the responses I've gotten so far have been just like the one talked about here in this thread. I've never received so many before in my life! The scammers must be running overtime this time of year or something. Heh, and they all seem to use either gmail or yahoo email accounts, which makes me wary of/dismiss any email that uses those servers.