The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Got laid off today

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Hoov for Pres!

Got laid off today

There was a company wide meeting for all mining employees at the company I work for. Sat everyone down, then the security guards stepped in, in a nice choreography with the guest speaker. "I am sorry to inform you all that your employment with ****** has been terminated"
They let us go with a nice fresh printed packet with our names on them, informing us of what we can do. (collect unemployment)

So.. That's it. I need a job.
Experienced Diesel, and heavy machinery technician at your service. Anyone hears of anything major lemme know.

No upgrades to the Z for a long time to come I fear.

Hope you all are doing better with the economy than I am. haha
Old 11-03-2008, 10:33 AM

Sorry to hear that man. My dad just got laid off as well a week ago. His options...unemployment.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Pr0n Addict

sorry to hear it. i don't think it would be a problem for you to find a job out in VA. smart people seem to be in short supply. the boat yard my dad and i work for is always hiring and firing techs cause they don't do well enough.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Obsessive Craigslist Disorder

last time i checked the city of glendale had a heavy equiptment mechanic opening
Old 11-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

id go rant my *** of in the "hows the economy poll"

dam i need a job too, i might go rant some

GL with the search
Old 11-03-2008, 02:33 PM

Sorry to hear of your situation. Hopeing for all the best for you. This may turn into a oppertunity of a life time......................
Old 11-03-2008, 02:34 PM
The Good Twin

Pessimists... Unemployment is better than nothing.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Über User

start searching, and if you dont mind relocating search in far off areas that seem like the job will pay good and stay stable i guess. work for catapillar or cummins
Old 11-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

it sounds like a lame job but if your ASE you might could get a job at a bus barn, where they fix schoolbuses, thats where my auto teacher worked for like 6 years and got enough funds to go back to college(or at least enough to live durring school)
Old 11-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

are you really going to take advise from him^...lol . your type of work is something thats hard to come by so your not out of the loop yet. so i hope you stay in the game and just keep your head high. its a hard time just gotta keep pushing.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Ruff Ryder

if you are single and want to be able to tell people you have done something with your life go to the one place that can make it happen and the one place thats always hiring... (not raggin on you, just a general statement)

http://www.us-army-info.com/pages/mo...ation-mos.html
http://www.us-army-info.com/pages/mo...nance-mos.html
http://www.us-army-info.com/pages/mo...ation-mos.html
Old 11-04-2008, 02:34 PM

the US Navy. Join the navy see the world. I did at yur age
Old 11-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Über User

yeah go be a seaman lol lol... marines is the only part of the navy i'd join. dont go get stuck on a boat/sub full of dudes your going to be an *** pounder by the end of the month. join the airforce so you can get training in something you can use outside of the service like ATC its a HUGE demand and will be for several years. its alot of material to learn though.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Obsessive Craigslist Disorder

hey whats long hard wet and full of seamen?

a submarine
Old 11-04-2008, 03:40 PM
eff good grammar

welcome to the club, i am workin on almost a full year of non working stress, unemployment benifits suck, you wont make hardly enough to live i know i didnt, i had to squat and eat ramen and dollar store items to save up any cash.

heres a hint, if you have extra cars wait to sell them untill you absoultly need to. selling my 1990 cougar really saved my ***
Old 11-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Pr0n Addict

wow. i really need to stay in college.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm a Registered User!

As lame as it may sound... RTD in Denver is hiring mechanics for the buses and light rail. I heard they pay well (up to twenty something dollars/hour).
http://rtd-denver.com/

Dunno, it's better than no options?

https://careers.rtd-denver.com/OA_HT...iVZxZrP9qw7khA..
Old 11-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Über User

my buddy was a diesel tech hired at cummins here in chi-town started out at like around 40k a year and got raises like crazy and works hours that seem unbeatable. and they provide a work truck you get to take home with you. basically you repair outdoor generators so kinda blows in winter i guess but he seems to like it
Old 11-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Hoov for Pres!

I have offers for a Blasting company. Working on their pumps, generators, drilling rigs, trucks etc. But, that would require me to move to Elko NV. If I am going to move long distance, I want the job to be kick ***.
I have a bad drive for adventure.

I think I am going to see some recruiters tomorrow. Regardless of my current situation, I always wanted to join. There is no reason for me not to. I could use the discipline.

Going to see what my options are.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Pr0n Addict

but cummins hires a lot of people. not all their jobs are outside.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Über User

i was just saying what my friend does. i know theres alot more than just that
Old 11-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Hoov for Pres!

Cummins builds some great engines. Nice to work on too. They use them everywhere you can think of. I have worked on small applications up to large quad turbo 12 cylinder Cummins. I like them more than Cat engines, and that is who I worked for. haha. Not so much their quality being that much greater. They can break anything in a mine in ways you didn't think were possible. But, they are much easier to work on. Cat builds things like they wanted it to be hard. Minimal tooling sure. But, good luck getting to those exhaust bolts on the inside of the engine. ah!.. I liked the work I did. My job kicked ***. I worked on screaming hot engines, and machines right ot of the field, and in the field. Getting covered in diesel and dirty oil and grease every day, head to toe. Most things were a puzzle. Thousands of horse power that you make run. 15,000 ft lbs is nothing to play with. Or is it? haha

I would stay in mining because I like the equipment. I get something out of it I guess.

The military gets the best tools. Just having trouble deciding Air Force or Army. The water is not my thing.
I think I could get a career that I am used to in the Army. They use machines that I am used to. But I am looking seriously into the Air Force too.
Just doing nothing but reading up on it, and talking to the people I know that are in currently. I want to have most of my questions figured out before I talk to the recruiter. I don't go place blind if I can help it.

Even taking practice ASVAB tests and studying. so far I am scoring 95% average in all fields.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Über User

airforce has alot of diesel motors, all the fuel trucks and tow equipment runway paver's and such. you should look into being a diesel tech with one of them if your not already. just remember, airforce treats you better. to them, you matter lol. i'd love to be a pilot in the service but i think i might be getting that opportunity taken away from me since i was once on ADD medicine, i dont know if that only matters that you currently take it or were taking it but it was over 4 years ago. and then i might have celiac disease which means i wouldn't have the chance.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
navy has a lot of diesel engines too and ya gets to go to dago....if yer lucky....
Old 11-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Hoov for Pres!

I actually talked to a Navy recruiter today. Also took the practice AFQT/ASVAB test and scored an 89. If I actually study before the real test, this should improve. But, they said that the score leave a lot of open doors on what I can do with the Navy. They also seem to offer better plans on obtaining a college degree. That would be nice.
But... I have to pay off some tickets before anything can happen. Damn heavy foot and fast cars are catching up to me.

I think joining the military, in whatever branch I end up with is going to be one of the better choices I have made in my life.

Quick Reply: Got laid off today