The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

ah crap... I had to blow $1.3k on this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:14 PM
The Good Twin

ah crap... I had to blow $1.3k on this?

I guess it's time to go pro... I just nabbed this on eStupid:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0%3D%26fvi%3D1

a better pic:

Old 02-19-2008, 09:18 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

not too shabby! i demand more donut vids!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Über User

i wanted to do that! but i didnt think id be able to get one so big. just an HD cam corder. and then id have to figure out a way to capture good sound, i need a mic and boom.ive noticed its really hard to capture good sound... and also id have to re-install adobe premiere. since its such a pro program it wont loose quality in the editing. gotta phone register it though. stupid key gens !!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 09:48 PM
caught the z fever

for why??????????????
Old 02-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Über User

i was thinking somtin like zeees

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-HDR-UX7-AVC...QQcmdZViewItem

i was at ALOT of GREAT streetraces last year and if i did it again, i could see myself burning some DVD's and maybe selling it. also, maybe even good coverage of the DSM shootout would sell on the DSM forums.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:11 AM
eff good grammar

no HD nismo?
why the heck did you spend $1200 on it if its not HD?

oh and it matters, in 2009 i wont be able to see the video because my eyes will becomed accustomed to atleast 720p from all the pretty hdtv i'll be watching
Old 02-20-2008, 06:23 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
no HD nismo?
why the heck did you spend $1200 on it if its not HD?
Because the XL2 HD camera is $2.5k-$4k. That's why.

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
oh and it matters, in 2009 i wont be able to see the video because my eyes will becomed accustomed to atleast 720p from all the pretty hdtv i'll be watching
It doesn't matter.... 99% of my vids will be broadcast on the interwebs.... which a computer screen is still better than HD.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:23 AM
The Evil Twin

I bought a new DVD player for $39.99 ... ! !
Old 02-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Über User

see nismo, i kinda want a camera like yours cause its got a better mic. and has a really good lens setup so it probably captures video in different lights better and such. but i want th HD quality. and i wonder if the one i posted would actually record as good if not better than yours or if it just is capable of HD but without the lenses it will get skewed imaging from light changes and such rendering it, capable of better image than yours, but not doing it often enough. but then again, it does come with a wide angle lense, those ROCK!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:50 AM
The Good Twin

^^^ Tis a good point. I've got a buddy w/ an Sony pro HD camera... I'll ask him if he feels like HD is a big improvement over normal. I know he is always raving about 3CCD tho (rather than CMOS)... that's why I made sure I got one.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Über User

yeah if he is camera smart give him a shout for me and post up! lol
Old 02-20-2008, 08:01 AM
The Good Twin

In the mean time... here's a good read on HD vs DV camera comparisons: http://www.filmguideseattle.com/hdr-fx1.htm

Skip to the conclusion: (I found this from the DV brainiack forum http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58318)

It’s clear to me that HDV is much sharper than the Digital Betacam and the two DV-based cameras when up-converted to HD. What may come as a surprise, is that when down converted to standard NTSC the HDV from HDR-FX1 was still sharper than both the DVW-709 Digital Betacam and the DSR-570 16:9 DVCam! This is due to the fact the camera is higher resolution to begin with. Further, I should note that when compressed to DVD, the difference in resolution is unnoticeable due, no doubt, to the additional compression.

So, should you shoot everything in HDV from now on? No, the lens is a very important part of any camera and has a tremendous impact on the image. While the HDR-FX1 has a very good Ziess Lens, it does not have the control that you get from professional, film style or broadcast lenses.

In addition, the larger chips of most broadcast cameras allow them to have greater control over the depth of field which, to most photographers, is an important aspects of any image.

There is no doubt that the impact of the Sony HDR-FX1 and the Sony HVR-Z1 will be felt in nearly every aspect of our industry.

Just as the Panasonic AG-DVX100a, and the Sony PD-150 before that, whittled away at a portion of the Betacam business. The HDR-FX1 and the HVR-Z1 will carve out areas from the more expensive standard definition camera business and a smaller but significant portion of both the DVC-ProHD and HDCam markets.

Perhaps even more significant and a driving force for carving off that market share is the ability to edit HDV on a relatively inexpensive yet powerful desk top non-linear editing system, like Sony Vegas 5, Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut HD. This in itself will be a driving force for this format. After all many producers will want to edit in house and keep the cash in their own pockets.

Truly, HDV puts HD production within reach of many producers and filmmakers.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Über User

those compared higher end HD camera's toe beta style i think... not what i had posted up. compact HD style cam.... idk.... im still so confused!!! you should show your buddy this thread and my link to so he can get a batter grasp of what we are comparing and what i planned on doing with it.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

Thats a nice camera, We used the same when we shot The Sanguinarian. I`ve got a remote controlled helicopter that takes that camera. Its a custom job I did for A movie we will be shooting this summer (hopefully) Go to here to see the Teaser trailer. http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=12635877
Edit: This is our mastery of film Mike Gough Working the camera.

Last edited by Mhinrichs; 02-20-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:06 AM
The Good Twin

^^^ That is an XL2 HD right? Tell us your opinion on HD quality... does it make that much of a diff over standard?
Old 02-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

Originally Posted by NismoPick
^^^ That is an XL2 HD right? Tell us your opinion on HD quality... does it make that much of a diff over standard?
For everyday use. NO. When making a movie, god yes. HD PWNS STANDARD
Old 02-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Über User

you got a heli that hoists that giganto lense? who fly's? i gots my a mini 3D electric heli that isnt stable, im lazy and havent tuned the blades lol. besides that im a huge RC plane freak. huge freak!

also, i cant afford that. its like a 3-4k cam. look at the link i posted in my first post. its an HD (not the exact one i want i want one with an internal HDD memory liek 120G or something) thats not nearly that big or proff looking. its just a small HD cam. stop using that one for a comparison! lol, its not fair. lol.

edit: watched the trailer. why is one guy looking like a cold war ruskie and everyone else is like victorian/1600 style dressed? lol. also, is this like an indi film you and some people are doing? or what? entering it in some film fest at all?

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 02-20-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
you got a heli that hoists that giganto lense? who fly's? i gots my a mini 3D electric heli that isnt stable, im lazy and havent tuned the blades lol. besides that im a huge RC plane freak. huge freak!

also, i cant afford that. its like a 3-4k cam. look at the link i posted in my first post. its an HD (not the exact one i want i want one with an internal HDD memory liek 120G or something) thats not nearly that big or proff looking. its just a small HD cam. stop using that one for a comparison! lol, its not fair. lol.

edit: watched the trailer. why is one guy looking like a cold war ruskie and everyone else is like victorian/1600 style dressed? lol. also, is this like an indi film you and some people are doing? or what? entering it in some film fest at all?
It was made for sundance. And you`d have to watch the movie to understand. The "Ruskie" Is actually a **** soldier, (explained in context of film) And the trench he is wearing is a true Officers coat, ordered from germany for a hefty price under the guise of east german relic...hehe
Old 02-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Über User

sundance? is that in cananida? lol. they seem to be focused more towards touching your inner soul (like juno, and lil miss sunshine) that kinda crap. but goodluck! me n my buds were trying to make a modern gangster/mafia with a twisted humor splice type of movie. its basically a mafia plot with way to random of jokes. lol. and what aboot the heli!?!?!
Old 02-20-2008, 05:07 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
sundance? is that in cananida? lol.
Nope... it's actually in Utah. Prolly not too publicized back east, but in the west it's a huge film festival every January here in Park City (the ski resort town). Lots-o-famous actors (pure partying for 2 weeks). You gotta have some skillz to be in the Sundance Film Fest.

http://www.sundance.org/festival/

EDIT... Mhinrichs, that's a tight vid! What editing program was used?

Last edited by NismoPick; 02-20-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

Nope... it's actually in Utah. Prolly not too publicized back east, but in the west it's a huge film festival every January here in Park City (the ski resort town). Lots-o-famous actors (pure partying for 2 weeks). You gotta have some skillz to be in the Sundance Film Fest.

Mad skilz..... (I was just an actor/built everything for the movie....
Old 02-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Über User

is that seriously the name of the program? lol. or did you have a full editing studio? or just dont know? and canadian film fest is way cooler. lol.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

No Idea, I wasn`t part of the editing process. I know we fired 2 editors before we got that clip though.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:22 AM
Über User

well nismo, i decided im getting the same camera as you. i realized, i wouldnt even be able to utilize the HD with what i want to use, and ur cam is a profesional one not a normal consumer, i did my research and the XL2 (the new model of ur camera by almost a year) s the number one choice of camera by indipendent film makers. so i figure ill just loose the very few upgrades and go with an XL1 myself and get it for 1k instead of 2-3k that the Xl2 goes for on ebay lol. still though its a 6k camera originally. GOD DAMN!!!!! plus it should capture sound much better.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:28 PM
The Good Twin

And here she is (just a tad bit bigger than my old camera)!

Quick Reply: ah crap... I had to blow $1.3k on this?