The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

*NEWS* Gift Card Stealers

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 09:36 PM
The Good Twin

*NEWS* Gift Card Stealers

So here's the latest craze among thieves... ya know all those blank gift cards hanging by the cashier at every bloody store? Well, if you write down the account numbers on those cards, you can see when someone activates it by checking online... then you can freely buy things online w/ that accnt# or write that accnt# to another blank gift card...

and now everyone can do it, because the news just broadcast it.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=719139

Originally Posted by KSL NEWS
As Utah shoppers fill the isles for holiday gifts, an Eyewitness News Investigation uncovers a brand new gift card scam-- one you need to see before you make your next purchase.

Millions of Americans dread holiday shopping. Enter the gift card.

Tonight's Eyewitness News Investigation uncovers why thieves love the cards as much as you do. We go undercover to show you how the bad guys are cashing in on the gift cards you put under the tree.

"I love gift cards, love them. They're the perfect gift."

Debbie: "Does it make life a lot easier?"

Shopper: "Oh, way easier."

"I think from day one, I go for gift cards because it's easy."

So easy to buy, we'll spend more than 24 billion dollars on gift cards this holiday season. But we found, crooks have figured out how to steal those purchases right out from under you.

"Have you heard of the latest gift card scam?"

"No, I haven't."

Jane Driggs/ Utah Better Business Bureau: "Consumers are trying to use gift cards and they're finding out there's no money on them."

So, imagine buying a 50 dollar gift card to send to grandma this year. If crooks have their way, by the time she goes to spend it, the card will have no money on it.

It's a scam Better Business Bureaus across the country are hearing about. We go undercover to show you exactly what the bad guys are up to. Seems they're stalking the same stores as you. But instead of buying their own gift cards, they're writing down account numbers from the ones you'll be buying.

"Anybody could get that number."

Once they have that number, it's easy to go online and figure out when the card's been activated and for how much. So the thieves log on to shop on your dime. We were able to do it ourselves.

To show you how it works, I buy an actual gift card. Before I cash it in, my producer uses the number to buy something for herself.

Debbie: "By the time somebody goes to spend it, it's all spent."

Shopper: "Really."

Holiday shoppers were glad to hear our warning.

There are a couple of things you can do to protect yourself from this gift card scam.

Some cards come with an extra security code or PIN number that's hidden under a protective coating. That's the kind of card you want to buy.

Then, always examine each card to make sure that code is still hidden. If the coating's been scratched off, buy a different card.

We found some advice to get the most out of gift cards, including buying from sources you know and trust. Avoid online auction sites. The cards could be fake.

Check purchase exceptions- does it include all items? in-store or online only? And, treat gift cards like cash. If lost or stolen, report it immediately.

We have a lot more advice, including a partial list of which stores use that extra coating. Just check the "Smart Gift Card Giving" page on the link above.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:42 PM
No Club Love

Man thieves must be getting smart, cause i won't of thought of that, i'd just walk in calmly, then walk out calmly...with some liquor that is...hehe. Then if someone would chase me, id beat some *** and run off...TeHe....I'm just joking. No thats just what i want you to think....LOL
Old 12-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Über User

hmmm.. but shop online wouldnt there be a way to track that **** for where the delivery was? or is it an instore pickup? then i cold see tem getting away with it...
Old 12-12-2006, 09:37 AM
The Evil Twin

you'd think so Snowy, but then how do people steal your credit card number, order stuff online, have it delivered to their house, and amazingly they get away with it! Its just stupid
Old 12-12-2006, 11:39 AM
No Club Love

usually they deliver it to another house, abondoned, then ups just leaves it on the door step and the crooks just come by and pick it up...or so i've heard.....so anyone want to go to new mexico with me and younk a couple of parts from 619? I'm taking that turbo of his...maybe ricer muffler too.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
AND FOLKS WONDER JUST WHY IT IS I SO V E R Y MUCH ENJOY BEING A.....................
Attached Thumbnails *NEWS* Gift Card Stealers-grinch.jpg  
Old 12-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Über User

dude... you have no idea how much this thread makes me want to commit crimes... BASTARDS!!!!! lol. i put those days behind me... man did i jack some amazing things... golf carts. a crotch rocket. haha... we even told the kids we stole it from we stole it.. didnt do ****... so now its a give away. lol.