The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

*Breaking News* Plane Hits Tower in NY???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:10 PM
The Good Twin

*Breaking News* Plane Hits Tower in NY???

http://www.cnn.com/

A small plane has crashed into a building in New York City. No further details immediately available.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:57 PM
The Evil Twin

Its on fire!
Old 10-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Political n00b crusher

I guess Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle was one of ones on board.....
Old 10-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Just heard about this one . . .crucial
Old 10-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Über User

yeah...there are strict FAA regs about staying clear of all buildings in an area like this 1000 abouve and 2000 horizontal (thats feet of clearence) so that person was either a deusch bag or better of had some sort of catastrophic failure...we will know in a few days cuase they are gonna investigate somethign like that like CRAZY....
Old 10-11-2006, 04:36 PM
confuzed member

Yea, it was weird, I was asleep on the couch and I was dreaming about getting in a plane wreck and dying....while going to New York...no joke. I woke up real fast and ran to class as I slept passed the time I was supposed to. I thought I remembered hearing something on the TV about a plane crash but was still half asleep and wasn't sure if it was part of my dream. I'm in class now and just saw this! Crazy that I dreamed about it!
Old 10-11-2006, 07:37 PM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by SportBikeMike
I guess Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle was one of ones on board.....
Yeah. I guess that page has been updated since you guys last looked at it.

Two die when small plane hits N.Y. high-rise
  • Yankees confirm pitcher Cory Lidle killed
  • Team owner: A terrible and shocking tragedy
  • Government sources say pilot reported fuel trouble

Here's the full story on it: http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/11/plane.crash/index.html
Old 10-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Thats crucial . . .
Old 10-11-2006, 08:08 PM

Speculation is that he ran out of fuel. Witnesses say they couldn't smell any fuel where the plane hit the building.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:40 PM
The Good Twin

Note to self... when flying an airplane, and run out of fuel... aim for the largest object around
Old 10-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

If you're gunna go down, might as well go down in glory and scare the **** out of the majority of the NYC population by running your **** in the closest building and killing the owner of the New York Yankees . . . .

Old 10-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Über User

ok...working fuel guages for EACH tank is required its on the REL so if they dont work you CANNOT FLY.....this is BS its his own fault then, BUt, why still hit a giant highrise like that....and on top of that....if there was no fuel why was there such a huge fire. they are still investigating this fuel thing is BS, you always visually check the tanks and the guages as preflight......
Old 10-11-2006, 09:33 PM
User Friendly

It sounds kind of fishy to me. According to The New York Times, the plane was only in the air for 12 minutes and never got higher than 800 feet before it hit the high-rise building. It also says they radioed La Guardia Airport and said the plane was running low on fuel.

I'm wondering whether someone might have cut the fuel line just prior to take-off.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Über User

NO.....its soo hard to cut a fuel line, its intertwined in the ckin and structure, the only place it is visible is in teh engine bay which is covered by the cowling which is no easy task to remove, and if so they would smell it and see it casue it looked to be a high wing plane and they are gravity fed so the fuel would be EVERYWHERE once the shutoff valve was opened and the mixture was put in....either they sucked at flying, were D heads in their preflight, or soemthig better have went wrong due to manufacturing problems....no other real explination, most likly it will be blamed on pilot errors, just watch. and they shouldnt ahve been that close to the city buildings nore hit one that freakin big, they turn to transponder freq 7700 for emergency turn to 121.5 on teh radio and make their maday call all while holding the best glide speed and finding the SAFEST place to land. they have rules about everything, trust me......i would know since im trying to become a pilot. this whole this is just sensless so far...
Old 10-12-2006, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by apollo
If you're gunna go down, might as well go down in glory and scare the **** out of the majority of the NYC population by running your **** in the closest building and killing the owner of the New York Yankees . . . .

only the yankees pitcher died the owner wasnt on or anywhere near the crash
Old 10-12-2006, 06:33 AM

Damn, i should move outta this crazy city!!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 09:28 AM
Doesn't post much...

Wow, there are some tasteless SOB's around here. I didn't hear about this until I got out of the airport in San Diego last night, because I spent all day on commercial flights and in airports coming home from Ohio. They don't talk about stuff like that in airports... All I knew was that some flights to NYC got cancelled but I thought it was weather related.

Anyway, I love how so many people got a good laugh out of the fact that a husband and father of a 6 year old (as well as the other person in the plane) died yesterday. Everybody making an *** out of themselves. I have been a pilot for 18 years, I don't know yet how or why it happened, but I'm sure from what I have heard so far that he didn't MEAN to hit the building.

Some of you really need to grow up.

Rod.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Über User

if your a pilot....i hope you dont think im trying to get a laugh out of it...it really pisses me off, i hate assumptions and then ontop of that a life lost, why he hit the building...i dont know....i wasnt on the flight, a number of things could have happened, plus i dont know what the weather was like, he wasnt that experienced of a pilot, but as a fellow pilot you must know that some of this run out of fuel and other crap and him not staying clear of a densly populate area was soo wrong....its terrible accident, scared alot of people, but as for the reasons as to why it happened is BS, wether it was pilot error or not keeping up on maintanance or strucutral failure of some sort, who knows....but this is an incedent they have many regs to keep this from happenning. thats why im waiting for the FAA investigations to come out and give a reason.i just suspect some sort of pilot error...
Old 10-12-2006, 09:39 AM

RIP Cory Lidle. You gave us a hell of a run in 2002 and lots of great memories.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Doesn't post much...

He was well within a VFR corridor, if something happened to the aircraft that undermined his ability to maintain control, it would explain how he got to where he wound up very quickly. That Cirrus is a quick and nimble little plane, and it can cover a lot of ground in a very short amount of time. I'm pretty sure it was not his intention to get mixed up in the middle of those high-rise buildings. As for the possibility that he was out of fuel... I doubt it, I haven't heard anything to that affect but I suppose it is possible. From what I have heard though, the other person on board was at the very least an experienced pilot themselves so I find it difficult to assume that neither of them performed an adequate pre-flight check.

We'll see what the NTSB and FAA determine, but in the meantime, I think it sucks for some people to make jokes about it and act like 5 year olds.

Rod.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:12 PM
User Friendly

This newest release states their flight path was completely legal; explains why they were flying so low in altitude (max. is 1,100 ft. in that area); indicates it was cloudy that day; and the alleged "distress call" before the crash hasn't been confirmed yet. Looks like we're gonna just have to wait until the investigation is complete to hopefully find out what really happened.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
what is it about ny and airplanes and buildings??
does this tragedy mean the yankees have to change their nickname??--GO BOMBERS just doesn't seem right anymore, does it??
i really enjoyed nyc --it has always been a very busy hub of almost everything--and fun to walk the length and width of when i was in high school-but that was centuries ago, now--there were no twin towers, coney island's cyclone was tallest rollycoaster in the world, the empire state bldg was tallest building in the world--best stage plays--the Village--the subway was the best deal in the world for 10 cnts!!! yes--i'm dam old. ny is also very cold--also very hot--both meant in all ways --shame and tragedy. so, what are the bombers gonna call themselves, now???
Old 10-12-2006, 11:58 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

just a thought. the cirrus does not use the conventional yoke style control. rather, it utilizes a joystick style control. it is also a fly by wire plane. if a pilot were not familiar with these controls, it would be easy to overvcontrol this plane. in fact, there are quite a few reports of problems arrising with this plane due to unexperienced pilots over controlling it. i grew up in private planes, and know that there are many things that can go wrong. my guess would be that enviromental factors, coupled with pilot inexperience, led to this crash. nothing sinister, nothing that needs to be blown out of proportion on the news. 90% of he time, the simple explanation is the correct one.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:44 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
isn't that always the case--we, as humans, try to overthink almost everything--when, most of the time, the answer is so easy--and so tragic, in too many cases.

as for humor--sometimes the best way to get real with a tragedy is thru bad jokes and dark humor--you know that, as a pilot--don't you deal with imminent doom in a humorous manner, or is that just navy seals, paramedix, er nurses, icu nurses, and cops and firefiters??? ya gotta make humor or have an ulcer or a stroke.

so, do da bombers gotta change dere name??
Old 10-13-2006, 07:51 AM
Doesn't post much...

^ It's one thing to use humor as a means to deal with tragedy, but it's quite another to make sick/stupid remarks and comments about someone who has just been killed in an horrific accident and left a family behind to mourne for them.

I've been flying for 18 years. I have lost friends along the way due to crashes. I never once felt the urge to joke about their final moments on earth or assume they were incompetent, inept or just flat out stupid for crashing... Especially before all of the facts were known.

I was simply stating that it was childish and insensitive for SOME of the people posting in this thread to jump to conclusions about the cause and make fun of what happened.

Rod.

Quick Reply: *Breaking News* Plane Hits Tower in NY???