ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX Z32 Tech Tips (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-tech-tips-273/)
-   -   How to make the N/A Faster?? swap mass merge thread (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-tech-tips-273/how-make-n-faster-swap-mass-merge-thread-658/)

Zgringo 05-03-2005 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by SHWAZ300
You want a good tip about your swap. BUY A FRONT CLIP, ladies and gents thats all that needs to be said.

True, you'll be about 90% there plus the labor. Plus if your old parts are still good, you'll be able to make a few bucks off them to offset the "Clip" cost.

Milo (SZM mag) 05-03-2005 10:47 AM

Bah....clips are "okay" but you are never garunteed what you will get. I prefer a good old fashion rebuild...but that is just me. Plus, it lets you do a lot of things like (porting exhaust manifolds, porting upper lower/upper intakes, smoothing head faces and runners, killer the engine cast flash in the water passages...hell yes, bypassing EGR & water line bypasses, heat wrapping exhaust manifolds, etc.

But again...just my $.03

dr. buddha 05-03-2005 10:53 AM

Milo you have a good point thats why i bought my front clip (jdmtt) and im going to have it rebuilt with some extra goodys port polishing i can do my self but machin work will be done first and biger turbos cames, fule system , igniton all the goodies. i say start with a better platform. :cool:

CanyonCarver 05-03-2005 12:19 PM

imho........ clip or not, you should do a rebuld on any motor swap. Unless of course you're swapping in a new motor.

91zxtt 05-03-2005 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
imho........ clip or not, you should do a rebuld on any motor swap. Unless of course you're swapping in a new motor.

Agreed. You should never cut corners on a swap.

iminsideurZ 06-23-2005 01:15 PM

Advice on a TT swap?

Hey all I just joined your great forum and have a question regarding the all famous TT swap. I found a site where i can get a motor,throttlebody,transmission cluth flywheel wiring harness all cables an ecu exaust manifold alternator starter power steering pump power steering hi pressure line a/c fuel rail injectors and the turbos for 2195$ the questions are is that a good deal and what else will i need to complete the swap? :confused:

iminsideurZ 06-23-2005 01:40 PM

Advice for a doobie i mean noobie

Hey guys i have had my Z for about 3-4 months ..when i bought it it had 107k on it... it has been well maintained with records to back it up... it has a Stillen hi flow intake and a stillen cat back exaust... the car is a 1993 na i was wondering what some others opinion would be about the dillema i am facing... should i upgrade the engine i have now and if so what mods should come next ???or should i just try a TT swap??? i found a motor and tranny for 2195$ any advice would be appreciated... also i have to say what a bitch to work on :eek: ...and any tips on helping a noobie drive better or get better perfomance out of my car would help! thanx in advance! :cool:

90NA300ZX 06-23-2005 02:21 PM

first off, i'm assuming you're doing a NA to TT swap....and not just replacing your blown stock tt motor with another...

secondly, no offense, i dont wanna be a dick, but it sounds like you dont know too much of what you're doing, if you're getting the transmission with the engine, you wouldnt have had to specify that its also coming with a clutch and flywheel, and usualy the engine comes with throttlebodIES (we have two on these cars...not just a throttlebody)...so my first bit of advice is READ!!! everything and anything you can find on this car, read as many of the threads on here, on 300zxclub.com, on twinturbo.net, read all the technical info z1motorsports.com has to offer, read as much as you can find on howstuffworks.com on engines, cams, fuel injection, transmissions, etc....

thirdly, you obviously want a TT car...having just done a na to tt swap, and stil in the process of working out the final kinks myself, my biggest piece of advice to you is JUST BUY A TT CAR!!! if i could do it all over, i look back and know it woulda been a lot cheaper to just buy a TT...overall with EVERYTHING i have into my car, it's adding up to almost $13,000, and sure i'll be a bit faster than stock....hoping to break into the mid 12's with a good tune, but i coulda had a damn nice TT and some extras on the side for that money, and saved myself a lot of work and frustration and time...now would i go that route if i had a second chance? probably not...there's a certain pimp factor that comes along with doing an NA to TT swap if you ask me, and i'm happy with what i did, but as far as cost efficiency goes, you're better off always just buying a TT...

UNLESS: you can get a beautiful shell for dirt cheap (a grand is what i consider dirt cheap for a good shell), and you or your friends can do all the labor yourselves for free...and really want to, but even then, i still think you'd be better off...significantly better off, just buying a TT...there's a lot out there for sale, not that expensive either...

hell i just checked, and for the $13k i have into mine, i could have just bought one of the TT zx's for sale on Z1's site that push down like 500whp...that right there makes me upset, but i will always be very proud of my creation...

now, fourthly, and finally, if you are stubborn like i was, and will not listen to people like me (i was once JUST LIKE YOU and had people telling me not to do it, just like i'm telling you now, and i didnt listen...), and you really are willing to throw in all the time and money and effort it takes to do a TT swap on one of these beautiful amazing machines, do not just buy bits and pieces, do not buy a motor here, tranny here, IC's here....etc...ask anybody you want, they'll all say, if you wanna do a NA to TT swap, get a TT clip, JDM is probably the only ones you'll find with lower miles, and i know Z1 can get their hands on those too...you'll save your self endless amounts of trouble in trying to part together the swap, everything will be there...hell i bought a clip, and i still had to go through the frustration of buying lots of other separate parts...get a clip, and DONT HALF ASS ANYTHING! look on z1's site at the 60k service...and do it all, chance the timing belt, change the other belts, get a new clutch, if you have the money get a new harness, change the water pump, if you can, check/change the rear main seal...

some other things i did besides what i just listed, since they are so much easier to do while the engine is out, are the UR underdrive pully upgrade, along with a new performance clutch, i did the rps flywheel, i did 2.5" stainless down pipes, and there are tons of other things i would have loved to do since it would have been so much easier to do them while the motor was out, but money became an issue, so i couldnt...but make sure if you have any mod's in mind for the near future after the swap, you do them in the midst of doing the swap, to save yourself TONS of labor later...

good luck man, have fun with it...once its done, drive it easy for a while, i'd say change the oil every 1000 miles for the first 3000, and after 500 and 1000 miles check to make sure all fuel lines, vacuum lines, etc are still tight and what not...do a compression test as soon as you get the swap done, etc...be very anal, you'll be glad you were in the long run.

and one more thing...the deal you think you found on all those parts you listed, sure it's a good price, but how many miles are on it? who is selling it...are they reliable? i'd ask around to see if any of the guys on here or the other zx forums i had previously mentioned have heard of the person/place you found this deal at...but i can tell you this, even if you do luck out, and the deal you found for all those parts is awesome, great quality, low miles, etc...you will still need TONS of parts, and will spend lots of time and money finding and getting them all...some of which i will name for you:

TT Radiator
TT Oil Cooler
Intercoolers
TT Fuel Pump

and i really dont wanna list everything else...but those items alone will run you, given you find them in good used or rebuilt condition, all together, i'm guessing about a grand more...

have fun with it man...good luck, hope you're very very patient, because it takes a looooong time just to get ready and prepare for starting the swap, let alone doing it...

and by the way, who would you have do the swap for you anyways?

Mousier158 06-23-2005 04:04 PM

I agree with 90NA300ZX. The first step is to thouroughly familarize yourself with your car. there are so many things involved with a project like this conversion. Z1 has a great article in their tech section. For me, i plan head but always seem to overlook certain parts. Definately use Rizz's link page...many good sorces of info! 300ZX's are awesome machines but expensive which comes with the teritory. Know that it can be done :D ...Good Luck!

bardabe 06-23-2005 05:39 PM

TT swap. well dont; get jus tmotor and tranny. u'll need alot more. liek Intercooler piping, intercoolers, a/C, alternators, and all kinds of goodyes. and if u wanna replace your motor and tranny I have one for sale. I have a VG30DE motor and tranny combo all acceesories included, (A/C Alternator, Oil pump, powersteer so on so forth.) it has 65,xxx miles on it. I'm on the prosses of bringing it out the car due to a TT conversion my self. the 60K miel maintenance was done not so long ago. I did it myself nothign wrong with the motor. pulls strong. tranny is in erfect condition too!. as far as upgrades on teh N/A it depends how far you wanna take it. I personaly was gonna just do Intake, Exhaust, and ECU. good for about 250 RWHP maby.

Riz Z Speed 06-23-2005 05:56 PM

iminsideurZ, Welcome to Zdriver.
My first two suggestions for you.
1. Go to my Link page.
2. Search.
:)

90NA300ZX 06-23-2005 08:00 PM

with any sports car....especially an older one like this, you're looking at spending a lot of money, frequently, not just in repairs, because this is a very very reliable car, but with any car, the faster you make it, the more reliability you lose...so be prepared to constantly spend money...plus, as is the case with anybody that like to spice up their cars, you're also constantly throwing money into it to make it better....i know for myself it's never ever going to be a finished project...and if for some reason it ever is, i'll get another and start all over again, keeping my finished one to drive while the new one is being worked on...

plus, i forgot to mention, Z1 does the NA to TT conversion (not swap...there is a difference) but $6k, including all parts and labor...and will do any upgrades you want done at that time, just adjusting the price accordingly...a good price to pay for the quality and tons of experience those guys have...

91zxtt 06-25-2005 03:35 PM

Oh boy, another thread on swaps.

Save yourself a headache and just buy a TT.

If you really want to do a swap, then please do a search. There's at least 50 different threads on this site alone about swaps.

91zxtt 06-25-2005 03:42 PM

3. Save yourself a headache, sell the N/A and buy a TT.

iminsideurZ 06-25-2005 05:28 PM

thanks guys i guess im doomed to a slow fast looking car!

iminsideurZ 06-25-2005 05:35 PM

well what is the difference between a swap and a conversion....also i would like a fast car or at least faster than what mine is now i guess im doomed to just upgrading what i have cuz i owe 8k on the car i have now so selling it and getting a TT is not to feasible....i found a full motor tranny and all wiring starter alternator etc etc for 2195 i thought me and my dad could do it relatively quick but you guys make it seem like it is a extremely hard swap so i guess i ll just upgrade the NA i have now and some day in the future try for a TT! thanx for all your input! any more would be appreciated

KENZ 06-25-2005 06:48 PM

the na z isnt "slow". its just misunderstood!

DanZ32 06-25-2005 06:59 PM

Geez..you're looking at this all wrong. The N/A is NOT a slow car. No I'm not taking about 1/4 mile claim to fame...but then again I don't give a rats a$$ about 1/4 mile.
Rome wasn't built in a day. You can improve the performance of your Z until one day you are ready for a TT swap. Go with mods that are transferable to the later swap, or mods you can remove and put on a later TT purchase (just keep your OEM parts to go back on if you sell the N/A later).
You can go lightened fly wheel, 1 pc drive shaft, ECU, underdrive pullies and suspension upgrades up the ying yang. Good rubber and upgraded brakes.
If your car is well maintained you will hold your own and more against plenty of cars out there and all that with a 13 year old car.
"slow fast looking car" bah. Do some basic mods and love you're N/A, she will suprise you!

This is just my opinion...as an N/A owner of course :D

Cheers!!

iminsideurZ 06-25-2005 07:35 PM

that is sound advice....i do like a fast acceleration a subaru wrx turbo little 4 banger POS literally passed me like i was sitting still...i was on the highway he was behind me io dropped into fourth and floored it he literally passed me like i was sitting still...,.i just feel like this car looks really fast but it is so heavy it accelerates slow....i do love my car though it is a truly wonderful vehicle to own the looks are awesome the handling is awesome....hey how much would it cost to lower the compression on the existing motor and add a supercharger or single turbo?

DanZ32 06-25-2005 07:51 PM

too much and you wouldn't get the potential of the TT.

....so, if you absolutely have to hang with the Sti's, MKIV's and the likes......sell the N/A and get a TT.

"If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with..."

90NA300ZX 06-26-2005 12:19 AM

wait a sec...you mean to tell me you paid over 8k for an NA!!! you are absolutely insane man...you coulda easily had a TT in awesome shape for that price...and the difference between a swap and a conversion is obvious because the terms are literal...

swap...you swap out the na motor and swap in a TT...along with whatever else you need/want

conversion...you convert your NA motor to TT with all the proper parts and a twin turbo kit...lots of people actually just get lower compression pistons and put on one large turbo, and that works quite nicely too...

if you owe 8K on this i honestly dont know what to tell you, because if oweing that much money is holding you back at all, i dont know how the hell you plan on boosting this car, because to do it the right way, and be faster than a stock TT, you're looking at AT LEAST another 6 grand man...

and you say you just want to be faster....thats a very uneducated sounding statement...any car can be faster, hell throw on a cat back and a JWT pop charger and there ya go, you're faster...how fast do you want to be? what are your hp or quarter mile time goals? specifics man, we need specifics to help you...

iminsideurZ 06-26-2005 09:00 AM

ok i paid 8400 for a Z in excellent condition with stillen intake and exaust and a nice audio system with a disc changer amp and sub it was a little more than i wnted to pay but it was in the best shape all service records and so on....i admit to be being uneducated to the Z b4 i bought the car i have now i was honestly not savvy to the twin turbo i did not know that there was such a power difference call me insane i dont care....also i am just trying to learn about these wonderful cars not get a lesson in being a smart ass...your saying it would cost 6k to lower the compression and put in a big turbo?

iminsideurZ 06-26-2005 09:02 AM

i do appreciate your lengthy replies though very educating just a little condascending!

iminsideurZ 06-26-2005 09:22 AM

well i hate the trouble of selling my car but i guess i need to!....also im the third owner the value has to drop by now and i owe around 7500 on it!....oh well ill have to save some cash up enjoy my car till i sell it then get the TT!

CanyonCarver 06-26-2005 10:05 AM

So you can just enjoy your Z the way it is for a while............ :D not being condascending. The n/a's are relatively fast and nice handling cars.......... beautiful looking too. The sky is the limit as far as what you can do for mods, from simple n/a mods to building a 9 sec. 1/4 car. how much do you want to spend? Learning the basics on what you have will go along way. The n/a's need maintainance, the TT's need more. The n/a's are relatively difficult to work on, the TT's are more difficult.

If you were to build a 400 hp tt tomorrow, by next week that 400 hp would not be enough. :)

Good Luck