ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX Z32 Tech Tips (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-tech-tips-273/)
-   -   How to make the N/A Faster?? swap mass merge thread (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-tech-tips-273/how-make-n-faster-swap-mass-merge-thread-658/)

Shameless 04-21-2005 09:48 AM

Most likely im guessing it was rebuilt by mines because there is still a stock Nissan sticker on it but it is socketed for the aftermarket chips too

Shameless 04-21-2005 12:46 PM

Just found this on ebay same exact ecu i found in my Front clip

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...967898643&rd=1

bardabe 04-21-2005 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Shameless
I pulled the ECU out of my Clip today and took a look at it. Its labeled with a Mines plaque and two mines stickers over the seam,

lucky!!!! i'm so friggen jealous. btu anywak 9kg = 18PSI so u might wanna get an engine rebuild kit just in case.

ZXDude90 04-22-2005 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by bardabe
btu anywak 9kg = 18PSI

No. .9kg/sq. cm = 12.8PSI
That doesn't mean that the donor engine was running the same amount of boost as the one on ebay either. Also you might want to bookmark this site. It's helped me out alot. http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/ On the left side of the screen click pressure.

RPS13_GZ32 04-22-2005 11:49 AM

yea, i'm jealous too, that is a nice thing to find, a Mine's ECU isn't an everyday thing in the states. I wonder exactly how it effects the performance as compared to a JWT or Z1 tuned ECU. Plus if that car had an ECU upgrade, I wonder how stressed the motor was, I think a rebuild would be a good idea, sort of an insurance plan for the future.

Shameless 04-22-2005 07:59 PM

Well the problem is the Mines Chip is programed for 100+ Octane fuel which we dont have. It is also very agressivly tuned.....Like 25 degrees advanced timing acording to Ash Powers. So im gonna have it sent off and modified as for the engine rebuild kit i really want to but im facing strong oposition from the rentals. So i geuss im gonna have to convince them to allow me to clean my engine. Ie take it apart so it gets all nice and clean. then i can buy the rebuild.

Zeorymer 04-23-2005 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Zgringo
No. The stock one has a nismo sticker on it, with the code as for the year, transmission ect.ect.
You have a aftermarket ECU or a rebuilt one.

????? I think you mean Nissan, not Nismo.

90NA300ZX 04-24-2005 12:40 PM

hottness, i got my clip in about 2 months back from Z1MotorSports.com...cost me about the same, but i also decided to buy a new timing belt, rps clutch kit, rps segmented flywheel, UR underdrive pully with all belts, and new water pump...

i recommend you do all the 60k maintenance while the engine is out too, especially if you aren't 100% sure on how many miles are on it. regardless i'd do it though, save yourself a shit load of labor later on down the road by doing it now. good luck with it too, it's a long swap but damn worth it...

Shameless 04-25-2005 08:52 AM

unfortunatley Rain put a damper on my ability to work on the clip this friday. We are planning on shooting for wednesday but that looks to be a washout too. But we may just say to hell with the rain and put up a tarp for the short duration of time that the engine has to be out in the elements.

Does anyone know if a Z will pass PA emissions without a cat?

because id like to be able to put downpipes on now but the pipe diameter difference wont allow me to do so on a stock exhaust.

CanyonCarver 04-25-2005 11:52 AM

I have a hard time believing any car can pass any emissions sniffer test without cats.

zleeper 04-25-2005 12:50 PM

I did the swap without the clip. Other than the stuff you've listed you are gonna need a TT radiator and some custom intercooler piping to get to a FMIC. You will also need the top turbo hoses, The rubber ones. A pop charger makes it fit well and an oil cooler if it did not come with the engine. You will need a boost controller and you're gonna want a gauge. Getting the pipes to fit is a major undertaking but there is a way. Let me know if you need more help. Promise I won't chide you for being uninformed or get sarcastic on ya.

Zgringo 04-25-2005 03:25 PM

You've came to the right place here. 99% of the guys here are super down to earth guys willing to help. Just make sure you ask these guys before your next step. so you don't have to repete your work steps and make it harder.
91zxtt can give you lots of fatherly advice as he's in the final stages of a engine install.
Take your time and you'll be one happy camper when finished.

bardabe 04-25-2005 08:31 PM

usually a couple bills or so will make any car pass. ;)

91zxtt 04-25-2005 08:43 PM

Fatherly?!? Who told you? I swear, it's not mine. :D

I don't know if I'd go quite that far. Brotherly maybe. I'm here to help.

b300z 04-26-2005 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Fatherly?!? Who told you? I swear, it's not mine. :D

yea, your sister's pregnant isnt she?...j/k

haha sorry... uhhh :o that was really mean. ill stop now

90NA300ZX 04-27-2005 09:42 AM

i wanna know who the hell spends the money on a FMIC when the stock ones are good for up to over 400 wheel? and from all you listed in this thread, your zx will just be, basically a stock TT...dont ya think the guy before ya woulda done the basics like um, intake? flywheel? pully? hell even injectors before a fmic? if i were you i'd sell the fmic, try to get stock sidemounts, and do those basic intro mods because honestly, you're not gonna see much gain at all from a huge front mount if everything else is stock.

zleeper 04-27-2005 12:40 PM

well I chose the FMIC so I could avoid having to buy different AC parts and the stock intercooler pipes and recarging the AC with R12 AND to give me room to grow the power. All in all it turned out cheaper for me. The only thing I already had was the Intake system (single pop) So that left room for everyting.

iluvspeedin 05-02-2005 03:16 PM

?just Wondering?

It seems like everyone here has a pretty nice z. How long did it take to mod your car and the cost? ive also been thinkin of just saving my money up to put the vg30tt in my 2+2 how much $$ and time will that take? (it seems like the best way to go) and also any advice towards what i should and should not do to it would be great. :cool:

Milo (SZM mag) 05-02-2005 03:26 PM

I always love the idea of 2+2 TT's, slicktop TT's and convertible TT's....hell TT's in general. Honestly it will take some cash, but concentrate on getting a used TT for cheap and everything else will come together. After that point you will know what you are working with. BTW- You can buy a used JDM engine for around $1,200-$1,800 depending on where you go and good you can haggle, but don't forget to get the ECU with the purchase. It will still take a good amount of fabbing, but nothing that is above most anyone's head.

I'd say go for it....it would be rare. 2+2 didn't come in TT in the US. "Thumbs up" from me anyways. Good luck.

Riz Z Speed 05-02-2005 06:15 PM

do some searchin.
that swap seems to be popular around here. there seems to be a thread or two on it.

CanyonCarver 05-02-2005 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by rizzspeed
.......there seems to be a thread or two on it.

or three, or four, or ten, or 20, or maybe one more.......... :cool:

KENZ 05-02-2005 06:40 PM

well, i chose the non-turbo route for my own reasons. but mods are a lot cheaper cause of the change of technology, availability, and sales competition. no one even dreamed of making high horse power z'z for a fraction of the price in the 90's.

but in the end, it took me a while to get where i am with my car. time, patients, and a lot of bustin my ass at work took me there. depends what is your taste on what you want to do with your z plays in how much your gonna spend.

peace

dr. buddha 05-02-2005 09:13 PM

time and money cuts and burzez. 7 years more then a down on a house and a cupel of bukets and and more bule then the sky and more black then space. and i am starting a 2+2 tt as we speek so god speed to all that is doing this. :cool: and my girls 240z well it almost done thank god for that one :eek:

bardabe 05-02-2005 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by dr. buddha
time and money cuts and burzez. 7 years more then a down on a house and a cupel of bukets and and more bule then the sky and more black then space. and i am starting a 2+2 tt as we speek so god speed to all that is doing this. :cool: and my girls 240z well it almost done thank god for that one :eek:

cool let us know how it goes. post some pics when Done.

SHWAZ300 05-03-2005 07:38 AM

You want a good tip about your swap. BUY A FRONT CLIP, ladies and gents thats all that needs to be said.