300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Wideband o2 guage sensor location

Old 10-18-2009, 01:54 PM
F5 Hero

Wideband o2 guage sensor location

I've heard and read conflicting things when doing research for the location of the wideband o2 sensor for my wideband o2 guage I recently bought (autometer ultra lite)....

One thing I read was buy another o2 sensor, put them in the test pipes and install a toggle switch OR just get another guage and run dual guages...
That intsalling it in the balance tube of the H-pipe is too far back..

Then i've read that the balance tube of the H-pipe isn't too far back and you can install it there..

I was thinking I would put mine in the balance tube of my H pipe to save costs and to just have one guage to worry about and no switches... I was also thinking if you have no exhaust leaks, it shoudln't matter where you put it as long as it isn't too close to the turbo (wide band o2 sensors can't handle that much heat from what I read).....

thoughts and opinions?

Last edited by napoleonzheking; 10-19-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Most people just install one on one of the test pipes. If you're concerned about symmetry in the system, install a second in the other test pipe and a switch as you mentioned. But every install I've seen used the test pipes.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:06 AM
F5 Hero

so it's ok to just run just one in a test pipe? is the reading from one side going to be close enough to the other side? Well, I guess I couldn't think of a reason why they would be different actually....
Old 10-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

The only reason for a considerable difference between sides would be a problem in the system - air blockage, one turbo not spooling as well as the other, bad injector, etc.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:33 PM
F5 Hero

what would be the downside to installing it in the balance tube of the H pipe? then I would have readings from both sides..
Old 10-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I suspect it's too far back, not to mention, the H-Pipe doesn't get the same flow as the test pipes... the H-Pipe exists only to create a scavenging affect to draw exhaust away from the engine between exhaust pulses. If you're so concerned about having readings from both sides, my advice would be to get a second sensor.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:15 PM
F5 Hero

I was discussing this with some other local tuners here today and we came up with that same conclusion; that the H pipe balance tube doesn't get very much flow. I'm thinking i'll get another sensor and install a switch to switch between banks.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:13 PM
F5 Hero

So I'm trying to figure out how I would get a toggle switch intalled.

The second sensor is on the way.

I thought about splicing both harnesses together, and then reading just from both banks at the same time, but someone told me that could potentially fry the internal processor in the gauge.

So now i'm trying to figure out which wire is the sender wire to toggle (there are 5 on the sensor harness side, and 6 on the main harness to the gauge). I e-mailed autometer for a wiring schematic and they said they don't have one (what company has a product with no wiring diagram)

This was all they said they had...

Name:  WideBandAIRFUELRATIOGAUGES.jpg
Views: 17553
Size:  50.6 KB

Obviously 2 out of the 5 wires are for the heater pos and ground. Not really sure which wire of those 5 I need to cut and wire to the toggle switch, then which wire it needs to splice back into on the main harness.

Thoughts, opinions? Think I could just splice both harnesses together and read from both banks at once? or think the toggle switch would be better? Or think I could splice both harnesses together EXCEPT for the signal wire and just toggle that? and thoughts on which wire needs to be switched?

If I can't splice the harnesses together (whether I toggle the signal wire or not), I don't know how i'll hook up the second sensors.

I really don't want to run duel gauges because A. they're expensive, and B. I don't want two of the same gauges (just my preference)
Old 11-02-2009, 10:53 PM
F5 Hero

any thoughts or opinions??
Old 11-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Do *not* try to read from both simultaneously... you can't just splice signals like that. That's like saying if you want to run dual MAF's on the car, you can just splice all the wires together - it doesn't work like that. It'll either be completely useless or it'll fry circuits.

I would splice all but the signal wires and toggle that.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:29 PM
F5 Hero

But my question is which is the signal wire to toggle? I'm hoping there is just one, i'd hate to have to toggle more than one wire, that'd be gay.

I'm just not sure which is the one to toggle judging by the information they sent me.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Given what they sent, I can't tell either. Try TwinTurbo.NET... maybe someone on there will have done it before.