300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Well that stuff didnt work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Tough Guy

Well that stuff didnt work.

What ever blew. The chime, security, air bag, radio, interior light, and clock doesnt work. Its not the fuses, ive checked them repeadetly. I cant find anything in the service manuals that can tell me whats up with this. My lasy try is some sort of back up fuse. Before I go searching all day again, does anyone have any idea where the backup may be. Something isnt powering something.

The accesory that is hooked to the radio is also hooked up to my voltmeter, and it works fine, if that means anything.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

just out of curiosity, did you check any of the fuses or relays under the hood?
Old 10-06-2005, 06:25 AM
Tough Guy

Yeah. I have a box of fuses. And I replaced all the ones in the car and under the hood. I also switched all the relays with the same ones in order to see if somehing else would not work. Everything worked the same. The only relay I couldnt switch was the horn relay. The horn works fine though.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Loves Going Topless

You switched the fuses, but have you done a voltage check to see if you have power to the fuses. Isn't there a fuse link box over around the battery area. Forget exactly where it is.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

dumb question... Does the car start?
If not it's the blue wire fusible link under the hood next to the battery.
it won't look like it's burnt but it probably is on the inside.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Tough Guy

Yes. The car starts. Which leads me to believe it isnt a link. When my car got hi and it cut hte main harness teh links blew, and they all had to be in there for the car to run. So I kind of figured its not them. I may replace the two or three that I didnt replace when the other ones blew. But I dont know, the car runs fine, i just dont have a radio, or a chime ((which led to me leaving my lights on when i went to work, and then came out ot a car that wouldnt start)), a security light, interior lights, and an always on air bag light.

My friend said there has to be some sort of backup fuse. I dont know how true that is. I pulled out the radio again to look for anything that may be exposed. Nothing. I tore up the back seat to see if anything was exposed. Nothing.

I dont know.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:59 AM

does the intermitent on your winsheild wipers work? i think it may be that time control unit.
http://300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/m...ault&total=133
http://300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/m...ault&total=133
hope this helps
Old 10-07-2005, 06:21 AM
Tough Guy

Intermittent works. I checked that yesterday.

Things that dont work:

Radio
Interior Lights
Secuirty System
Air Bag Light is always on
Alert Chime

I THINK thats all. All my other lights work, horn works, wipers work, locks and windows work, fog lights work. defog comeson, heat works, blower works.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:23 AM
Tough Guy

What about the accesory relay???

What does the accesory include. I would assume that it includes all the stuff that I listed. Im not sure if my cigarette lighter works. Ill check today.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:59 PM

Do you have a fuse running in line to your stereo? Either on the contant 12 or the switched 12v side? If so, check that fuse.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Tough Guy

I have a fuse that goes into the back of my stereo if thats what you mean.

I also have a fuse that is in my amp wire.

Two fuses in the amp itself.

The one in my stereo was fine, I can check it again you. The amp fuses are fine. I havent checked the amp wire to the battery yet. I never thought of it as an issue.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Loves Going Topless

You still haven't said if you did a voltage check on the high side of the fuse panel. If there's no power to the fuse then changing the fuse won't help.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Tough Guy

I went to my car and it all worked. But it isnt giving it enough power for me to play the stereo louder then about 12.

Also, I have some build up on my battery terminal. Could this all be caused by my amp wire maybe???
Old 10-09-2005, 04:38 PM
F5 Hero

disconnect your amp wire and see what happens....
Old 10-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Tough Guy

Peep this homie. It all came back on again yesterday. I rewired my amp and what not in the morning, cleaning off my terminals and what not. When it started to work again I took the fuses out of my amp to see if that would change it. Not really. It has been working since last night where it would normally shut off.

What the problem that I think is. There isnt enough power getting to whatever powers all of the stuff listed above that doesnt work. When it came on at first I tried to turn the radio on and it killed everything. So I got it to turn off and the clock was ok. I switched the interior light (by mirror) on and it flickered, eventually after it had all come back on it was getting more and more power, by time I got home I was able to turn everything on and it all worked fine. It is still working now. Another thing is that when I turn the radio up louder it kills it. This has not happened recently (past tw days) because I dont want it all to die again. Normally the few times it would flicker on, It would all not work again next time I went to my car. It works as of this morning. I am sitting in class doing research, of course I have decided to "research" the zdriver site, cause lets face it. Edumacation is fo suckerZZZZZZZ. Ill repost if it all goes out again when I get outside to my car with in the next half hour.

In the mean time.

Any Ideas???
Old 10-11-2005, 02:54 PM

I hope I'm reading this wrong....it sounds like you have your amp tied into a power supply that runs other accessories. It should run straight to the battery using some substantial wire (4-8 gauge) depending on how hard your amp pulls.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Tough Guy

Yeah you are reading it wrong. The amp runs straight to the battery. Sorry.

Its been fine for the past few days, but I disconnected my amp. I dont know what would cause it all to not work right when the amp is connected.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Tough Guy

So... My pesky little problem is back.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by domsgarage
So... My pesky little problem is back.
that sucks.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:51 PM
confuzed member

Originally Posted by bardabe
that sucks.
Boy that was helpful for him!
I'm almost saying that you should either A) get someone that is well experienced with the Z32 to look at it or B) take it to a shop to at least get diagnosed, so you know what to fix or have them fix it (if it's replacing sometihng small that's blown...shouldn't be much)
Old 10-16-2005, 11:42 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by emo236
Boy that was helpful for him!
it was helpful for me.

it helped me confirm the fact that bardabe is a post *****
Old 11-13-2005, 03:09 PM

Sounds like a common problem with have in the UK ( lots of rain) the fuse box in the footwell gets wet and corrodes, poor connections are caused by this and loss of more than one circuit can occur, the targa drain pipes run past the back of the fusebox and can sometimes deliver water straight over it instead of past it, is the problem can be worse after washing the car or after it has rained?

You need to ease the fuse box out and check around the backside of it to see if that is the problem, do disconnect the battery whilst doing this.

Jeff TT