300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Want to do TT Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Ruff Ryder

You should have just unbolted the front suspension and crossmember, unbolted the trans cross member, undo the wiring harness and pull the body off the motor.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:16 PM

Todays update.

I ended up bolting the tranny back up due to two bell housing bolts up top I couldn't get to. Finished uncliping everything from the motor and tranny. Pulled motor and tranny out. Dont ever want to do that again. The NA isn't as bad. I've done a couple of those.

Will start tearing my car down tomorrow. Now for some long deserved rest. I still haven't been able to post pictures yet, but will soon. Goodnight everyone.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by hoov100
You should have just unbolted the front suspension and crossmember, unbolted the trans cross member, undo the wiring harness and pull the body off the motor.
Probably would have been easier, but it is out now lol.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:31 AM

Well no progress today. It's suppose to rain through Sunday. Need my car to drive. Can't really afford for it to be torn apart just sitting there. I'll start back on Monday.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:26 PM

This is the lucky candidate for the TT swap.
Want to do TT Swap-imag0304.jpg

Picture of the new exhaust.
Want to do TT Swap-imag0317.jpg

The day the clip arrived.
Want to do TT Swap-imag0312.jpg

That's what I like to see.
Want to do TT Swap-imag0311.jpg

Picture of all my labels.
Want to do TT Swap-imag0318.jpg

After a lot of sweat and my calves got sun burnt.
Want to do TT Swap-imag0319.jpg

Triumph picture lol.
Want to do TT Swap-imag0325.jpg

Last edited by KSpakes87; 03-22-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:41 PM

Wow, that clip looks pretty clean. Did you end up getting it from conceptz? How's the condition of the wiring harness?
Old 03-22-2012, 03:42 PM

Oh, and what are you doing about intercoolers? Did they come undamaged on the clip?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:35 PM

Yes it is very clean. The harness is in great condition. Going to reuse it. Intercoolers are undamaged except for the very corner of the plastic shroud on the left one. The inercoolers their selves are untouched. Can't wait for Monday so i can start back up.

Believe it or not the motor mounts aren't even hardly dry rotted. They could be reused, but I already have some Z1 Urethane Mounts. I've got new spark plugs, my Z1 ECU showed up today.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:31 PM

Only got to work on my car for an hour today. I've got everything unhooked up top except one p/s line. Hopefully will have my motor out and start moving everything over from the clip tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:38 PM

Well I couldnt get the exhaust bolts off. I soaked them down in penetrating oil and went on to pulling my front bumper and headlights off. I got the intercoolers put on and most of the piping on. Going to borrow a friends battery powered impact tomorrow and try to get the exhaust off. Won't be able to do much due to rain coming in at noon.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:39 PM

Todays update. I've got my motor out and the rest of the little things swapped over such as oil cooler and stuff. Tomorrow I'm hoping to have the TT in my car and running.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:10 PM

I'm so jealous right now. Oh, what are you doing about the fascia? I hear there are ways to keep the NA one but its better to have the vents.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:34 PM

Well start up was a no go. I had a problem yesterday getting the motor in. Finally got past the snag today. Motor is in and bolted up, driveshaft is bolted up, wiring harness plugged up. Still have to bolt up the exhaust, radiator, fan, shroud, intake pipes, and fill all the fluids and it will be ready for start up.

Still have to put bumper and headlights back in, but im going to wait until after first start up. Hopefully I'll be driving it again tomorrow.

By the way, you can't use the jdm harness. It was kind of a duh moment when it hit me lol. Since the clip is right hand drive, the harness goes in the firewall on the left side. On ours it goes in on the right side. The jdm harness would be too short for everything on the left side of the engine. I ended up cutting all my fuel injector connectors and splicing in all the connectors from the jdm harness.

Well I'll update after tomorrow. Only 20% chance rain tomorrow so it should be a good day. Today it rained on and off so didn't get much done.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Yardjass
I'm so jealous right now. Oh, what are you doing about the fascia? I hear there are ways to keep the NA one but its better to have the vents.
I'll probably cut some of the fascia down from around the intercoolers. I'll have to save some money up and buy a better front fascia. Unless somebody has a better idea.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:49 PM

Well another on and off rain again today. I did manage to get it started. It was missing real bad and I figured out why. The ECU I ordered is programed for dual intake. I took the T-pipe off of one side of the intake and covered the spare hole on the t-pipe up and it straightened right up. So I'll order the dual intake kit from Z1 on Monday.

Still have to put on the exhaust, bleed the clutch, fill and bleed the coolant, put the front wheels on, and put on the dual intake when i get it.

I put the front fascia and headlights on today also. Future reference for anyone doing this swap, put the headlights back in before plumbing up the intake. It was a pain to do lol.

Putting the intake hoses coming from the turbo's and going to the throttle body's were a pain. There are vacuum lines and power steering lines in the way of moving them over to where they need to be.

Well I'll update again next week when I get to drive it finally lol.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Horsepower Mathematician

Good stuff man, post pics and/or video!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rupe
Good stuff man, post pics and/or video!
I will ASAP. Everything is on my phone. I'll have to put it all onto my computer then go somewhere that has WiFi.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Horsepower Mathematician

Have you been posting from your phone?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rupe
Have you been posting from your phone?
Yea. I can post from my phone, but if I want to upload pics I have to do it from my laptop. My phone is my only source of internet unless I go somewhere that has free WiFi.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:28 AM

Well I got to drive it yesterday. Rigged the intake up and ran it without filters for just a minute. I couldn't get on it to see what it had. The boost kept climbing and would hit about 17 psi the cut off. I think I figured it out though. I think my wastegate control vacuum lines are ran wrong. I'll fix that today and run it again when i get my dual intake setup here. It's suppose to be here today. Hopefully this all fixes the problem.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:06 AM

Well the vacuum lines fixed it! It's only running at 9.5 psi tops and will run all the way to redline. Still waiting on the dual intake system to show up. Want to get it dyno'd now lol.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:40 AM
Horsepower Mathematician

Nice man.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:33 PM

Fixed some boost leaks and its now running 10.5-11 psi now. Vacuum at idle sits at a solid 20.

I'll try to get my pics and video up soon.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the updates. I'm purchasing a project car and a mechanic buddy tried to scare me off of doing a jdm swap because of difficulty. Your posts bring me hope I've swapped motors a few times in my days, and it won't be my daily driver, so not worried if it takes a week or two.

Question... I saw someone mention pulling the motor out the bottom. Did you go in from the top? Or bottom? I hear that's the biggest struggle is fitting that beast in the hole
Old 04-06-2012, 01:30 PM

Ziggy, it's a lot easier with a front clip. Mechanics don't like to work on these because the engine bays are so tight.

Kspakes, yeah, that's pretty much why I asked about the fascia. I don't even have enough money to TT mine right now but it desperately needs a paint job and the fascia looks like hell. I'm probably going to get a TT fascia so it is ready whenever I do have the money for a swap.

Probably a little late now but I've heard you can use the NA wiring harness and just need to have Z1 reflash the ECU. You don't want the Japanese one for the reasons you listed and you don't want the American TT one because there's no HICAS on an NA.

Quick Reply: Want to do TT Swap