300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

VG30DET Cima/Leopard Swap Info??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 10:18 PM

VG30DET Cima/Leopard Swap Info??

Has anyone swapped in the single turbo VG30DET engine or manifolds from a Nissan Cima 96-97/Leopard 90-91? Just curious if this setup would fit in the engine bay of my non-turbo Z32. This engine retains the dual throttle bodies and 24 valves but only utilizes a single turbine (with no intercooler) on the drivers side (U.S.). The hp figures are rated to about 250 or so.

It seems as if the fit would be tight but then again a VG30 can fit into a silvia. If there is any known documentation of such a swap please email me (donkayroo@hotmail.com) or create a new thread regarding the Nissan Cima/ Leopard VG30DET engine and/or manifolds.

According to the links I've found the only tranny available for this engine is a rear drive automatic. Since it is in the VG family I don't see why a manual won't drop onto it. I would greatly appreciate any info.

By the way, the engine I describe is currently being sold on Ebay.

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1866434197

This is a link I found with a pic of the VG30DET:

http://www.geocities.com/danielmaelz...ne_family.html

No pics just general spec info:

http://www.skylinesdownunder.co.nz/t...gineguide.html

While I'm on the subject of swaps, does anyone have factual info on the RB26 swap?? More specifically, will the inline six drop into a Z32 without fabricating or relocating the original engine mounts?? Any info on any of these subjects would be greatly appreciated. Especially link recommendations. Although I'm sure with my luck most of the swap details would be in another language.

Thanks for looking.

donkayroo@hotmail.com

Old 10-15-2002, 02:27 PM

Re: VG30DET Cima/Leopard Swap Info??

I appreciate the replies.

Thanks for responding.

To JspecZ32,

I'm not trying to flame on you, I'm just sharing the benefits that I see swapping in the VG30DET.

It may cost a bit more to convert to a single turbo VG30DET but you must remember that the NA will still never reach 90% Volumetric Efficiency with simple bolt-ons and mucho $$$$$.

Even with high compression pistons, a milled cylinder head, extrude honed manifolds, headers, stand alone fuel management, and 304 duration cams with a 14mm lift a non-turbo VG30DE will not exceed the 100% VE reliably without high octane race fuel.

If I were to do the swap not only would I be gaining "only 30 hp" and gobs of torque, I would be closer to reaching the VG30's VE with the turbo alone and I would still have the ability tune the engines air/fuel ratio for the highest reliable boost on pump gas. In addition, Torque would dramatically increase with the aid of positive turbine pressure resulting in greater "off the line" throttle response. I'm sure that a well tuned/ modified NA z32 may hang with or obliterate a stock VG30DET, but once exhaust, intake, injectors, and boost are dropped into the picture who do you think will have the upper hand in the long run?? And that's with an internally stock engine. Personaly, I don't care too much about straight line speed because I autocross and TRY to drift, but as any enthusiast can attest a punchier more powerful engine is always welcome. Especially when cocky high schoolers with their Type R Integras showboat like they are king of the road.

Some may say "It's cheaper just to purchase a turbo Z32 VS. attempting a turbo swap into a NA z32." From my standpoint it's more cost effective to do a swap. Why? If you pruchase a turbo Z32 it stays a turbo Z to your insurance company, as long as the vehicle is insured, where as a non-turbo Z32 stays a non-turbo but technically it becomes a VG30DET. Get the picture? Basically, I want a turbocharged car with the insurance rate of an NA. If my car gets stolen obviously the engine isn't covered but that is a chance I take. I have a million other easons why I didn't buy a turbo Z I just thought I'd mention one of them.

Thanks again for all the responses.

donkayroo@hotmail.com