300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Turbo project nightmare please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 01:24 PM

Turbo project nightmare please help

ok guys please help me out, i have a tb22 garrett turbo .48 a/r and it says M24 on it. Im not sure which Z32 tt this is from but i am going to use it for a turbo kit im building. I have checked my numbers and the compressor at 8psi looks perfect for my power goals. Only problem is i need to find a down pipe flange for these divorced gates and i need to find out if i can clock the turbo for a top mount aplication. You guys have any helpfull info to remedy these problems?

Also what is the size for oil feed line and drain line, as well as coolant lines.

Thanx to all the Z32 guys for their help and their desire to race anything that looks like it needs a dose of reality.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Über User

the drain/feed line you should be able to figure out relativly easily on your own if you search the net. etc... i had to do it for my T3 turbo, asked questions, realized its actually easy to find out if you search. as for the flange, you can always try to get your hands on a stock down pipe and cut off the flange. other wise get some one to make you one. a good fab shop should be able to take thick sheet metal, cut it out to shape and then drill the holes. and also, what are you using this for? just curious
Old 12-19-2007, 02:15 PM
caught the z fever

the manual TTs used a .63 housing, and the auto used a .54 housing. you can find a pair downpipe from any of the vendors in Rizz'z link page, or check the classifieds.

where are you planning on putting the turbo, and is this...i guess what is this going on?

oh, and grow up about the racing part.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:16 PM

If you are in fact using a Z32, how in the hell are you planning on top mounting a turbo(s) in that compartment?!?!
Or you could do this LOL:

http://www.turbomagazine.com/feature.../photo_06.html
Old 12-19-2007, 05:54 PM

The project is a 240sx street turbo kit. I believe it is a .63 exhaust housing. I want to top mount the turbo, just for kicks. So can i clock these turbos?

I realize that searching is my option but before that i research. I am researching right now by asking those that know best, you guys; what you know. I don't mean to seem rude but why would you answer with go search? It just doesn't make sense to me. I now the 100th time you see the same post it is boring but it is still what these places are for.

Sorry if you took offense to my comment, I am a new Z32 owner and the thought of what i can do with the shell later keeps putting ideas of super car ability's

DIE VIPER
Old 12-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Über User

i say go search for that specific part because i GARUNTEE that they make oil feed and return line kits for that turbo. lol. its an easy search. you know what kind it is, so search for oil line kits. as for coolant line, you can easily make your own. infact you coul make your on feed and return line kits like i did, but its best to just buy a reputable one. and uhh... i gave you a real answer and explenation, so it wasnt rude. rude would be, search it n00b or something. so dont think i was trying to be one of those guys.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:02 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by crazydude75927
I don't mean to seem rude but why would you answer with go search? It just doesn't make sense to me.
uh dude... I typed in "CLOCK TURBO" into www.google.com and found 2.2million websites. In the time it took to make this thread, you could have had your answer.

Check this: http://www.team-integra.net/sections...ArticleID=1146

Another great find: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=10266

Long answer short... YES, you can clock the turbo. If you are still going to use the internal wastegate, just make sure it will bolt up in the same place.

Last edited by NismoPick; 12-19-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:14 PM
caught the z fever

I realize that searching is my option but before that i research. I am researching

it doesnt make sense to me when people ask the same question over and over. thats why we say search first.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:43 PM

Yah guys i know, i can search and to be honest i did. I found clocking turbo info but it was always on a diffrent turbo. I had to come here to get info on this turbo. Their isnt alot of aftermarket or custom support for this turbo. Its a pain in the ***.
Yes i could have search in about the amount of time i made this thread but through this thread i will get anwsers to several questions from people who have hands on experience.
To be honest anyone who says search noob or flames someone could have anwserd the question in that amount of time also.
I do apreciate everyones help and the fact that you guys are being cool, even after i through a wrench in the program.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:50 PM
The Good Twin

I had to come here to get info on this turbo.
Which doesn't make sense because you are asking if any Z32'ers have re-clocked the turbo... which wouldn't benefit a Z32 because a reclocked Z32 turbo will no longer fit on a Z32.

I honestly don't know why we are even having this discussion. You have the turbo, loosen the compressor backing bolts, twist the housing to the position you desire, tighten the bolts, wa-la! A reclocked Z32 turbocharger!
Old 12-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Yah guys i know, i can search and to be honest i did. I found clocking turbo info but it was always on a diffrent turbo. I had to come here to get info on this turbo.
L
M
F
A
O

You do not have the necessary grasp of automotive technology (turbochargers in this case) to take on the task at hand.

A turbocharger is a turbocharger is a turbocharger. They ALL use the same technology to mount the housings on the CHRA. Loosen the bolts, twist the housing, tighten the bolts. EVERY turbo uses the SAME process for this. The ONLY difference between ANY turbochargers are found in size (duh), blade pitch and number, flange types, wastegates, and CHRA components (thrust bearings, ball bearings, etc). None of those include how the housings are mounted to the CHRA because it's standard. In fact, every turbocharger I have seen even uses the same size bolts for this!

It's not like the TBO22 (not "TB22" actually) is designed like Nissan designed the Z32 wherein almost everything is unique and difficult; it was designed by Garrett just like every other hybrid turbo they make. They took a T25 turbo, a T2 turbo, and combined them to make the turbos for the Z32. It's a regular. old. simple. run-of-the-mill. turbocharger.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:28 AM

People who make claims down to people based on skill level and intelligence are people affraid of someone else eclipsing their own intelligance level, dont be one of these people. Its not opinion its the study of human behavior.

Anyway their is a diffrence in turbo clocking, or so i have heard,some turbos use a clip in the housing that wont allow you to turn the turbo unless it is removed. I didnt know if this turbo had one.

Also the grasp of a turbo kit is not out of my skill leveL, even if it was their is only one way to gain some knowledge and that is to go out and do it.

I figured somebody might have used a spare turbo on other projects and that their knowledge cold help me,its sad that people feel the need to comment where their god complex and ignorance arent needed. I will continue my turbo kit project, im used to idiots on forums fealing like they need to make a point of some sort; even if that point is irrelavent to my question.

Thanx for all the info.

Shortly ill add the build up of my Z32 but first i have to finish my.
240sx turbo street car
65 full restoration GTO drag/ cruiser car (2 motors) 350hp 389 550+hp 455

Iv done pleanty of swaps and raceing projects but this is my first outing with a completly custom turbo kit. Ill be sourcing parts, bending the piping and making the down pipe. Ill be doing my own fuel tuning and of course all other install work. My only prior expearience with a turbo vehical is with DSM's

Happy holidays
Old 12-21-2007, 06:54 AM
The Good Twin

Joining a forum and acting like a hard *** doesn't help your case.

So... you have the turbo in your possession? Do you have tools? I have an idea... take those tools, loosen the compressor housing on that turbo, and try to re-clock it. If it works, yay! If not... then you know!

All in all, it should take about 5 minutes to do. NOW GO FORTH YOUNG LAD, TRY THE EXPERIMENT.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:35 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

People who make claims down to people based on skill level and intelligence are people affraid of someone else eclipsing their own intelligance level, dont be one of these people. Its not opinion its the study of human behavior.
:yawn:

Psychology is not a science, it's a metascience. Therefore, while it may not be pure opinion, it isn't fact either. In this case, someone eclipsing my intelligence is the least of my concerns... statistically speaking, less than 1% of people have the ability to do that consistently.

But as NismoPick said, you could've very easily taken out a wrench and tried to clock them according to any online instructions and found out for yourself... instead, you decide to bother us with the question. It was an unnecessary question to ask, so I laughed at it (which is not unlike me at all... ask around if you have doubts of that).
Old 12-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Pr0n Addict

why didn't you just... not answer it...?
Old 12-28-2007, 12:30 AM

Maybe it was becouse he has to go out of his way to prove to someone that anwsering thier question is a waste of his time. This im sure is to prove to him self how valuable he is and might be connected to deep self hatrid or concern that he is somehow inadequite at performing lifes task's.

Dang you must be some sort of Forum hard A** I could even ask around HAHAHA

Ok, im just kidding; but seriusly why would you waste your time telling me something that doesnt help me at all, while worrying about waisting your time helping me?
Old 12-28-2007, 01:22 AM
Über User

its more because, there was a general answer given and you didnt accept it, and it was general only for the answer was simple, its the same as the rest. though im not going to join sides, im just saying, dont turn down some ones advise until you try it. unless its one of those obvious retard ideas like washing your intake out with a hose while the car is running or something like that. (exagerated yes but you get the point)
Old 12-30-2007, 02:44 PM

I think what Zlover was trying to tell you was that it appears you don't have the necessary automotive skill to pull this off and was trying to tell you to not waste your time. In doing so, it was wasting his time; which he doesn't appreciate.

I'm confused.....why the hell would anyone build up a 455? Leave it stock. Virtually everything in the valvetrain is problematic and the problems are amplified when you add power. If you want to build a motor, then build up a 454. That 455 is going to cause you problems down the road.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:52 PM

Forgive me for the lack of knowledge on stock 455 blocks. This motor is HOT, its for our 1965 pontiac GTO. We wanted a race motor with an outrgeaus compression its 12:1.

This is not your brothers vintage 455 with stock troubles. This motor was built with knowledge from some of San Antonio's best pontiac racers. Most of which are or were working at T&P performance, these guys are serius performance enthusiast's.

The reason we went with the PONTIAC motor is becouse its goign into a Pontiac. Yes (BOP'S) are very alike but we wanted what should have been available from the factory. The 454 is a Buick motor i bealieve. The GTO'S didnt get 455 till a few years later then ours was made so we did the next best thing. We squezed one in while also building the awsome triple carb 389 for the street.

I have gotten alot of trouble here from some of you. I think a few people might like to try to find ways to not anwser the question, if people tryed anwsering it first it might make things flow better and then you wouldnt see the same posts at the top of the lists for days. If your tired of anwsering the question then dont. Its not your repsonsabiltiy to go out on a limb and tell someone they dont know anything.

I am apreciative of the help i have gotten, and to be honest i havnt been an *** to anyone who wasnt one first.

Oh and Z lover sorry for waisting your time by making you have to type into this thread more then once, especially since nothing you have said has been productive and all of it has been a baisic waste of time. Oh my you have just accomplished your worst fear!!!!

I dont think iv tryed to be a hard ***, no where have i gone out and said i know how to do all of this, iv actually gone out and tryed to get you guys to help me. Unfortuanitly i also feel that anyone who tryies to be a forum hard *** must not have much to do with their time, please be more helpfull thats what these places are for. If i could help any of you i definitly would.

In the forums i go to for domestics i must say people are much more friendly and helpfull then at import forums, i wonder if it has something to do with the fact that import enthusiasts must always be on the defensive, some may always feel attacked. (by haters) The domestic guys may have more of a good ol boy outlook.

Sorry for waisting anyones time.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:00 PM
The Good Twin

So anyway... did ya get that turbo reclocked?
Old 12-31-2007, 02:56 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Might I ask how telling you that the turbo is not any different than the standard didn't help you? If I recall correctly, I even stated how to do what you asked...

Yep, here it is...

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
Loosen the bolts, twist the housing, tighten the bolts.
I'm never critical without being helpful in some way. It's not productive to do so.

I even told you how to find out if it was this simple on your own...

you could've very easily taken out a wrench and tried to clock them according to any online instructions and found out for yourself
If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him to fish and he eats for a lifetime. I did you a service and you didn't even recognize it... and some people wonder why I'm a misanthrope.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:05 AM

:yawn:

In this case, someone eclipsing my intelligence is the least of my concerns... statistically speaking, less than 1% of people have the ability to do that consistently.

Wow that means your pretty intelligent. So what are you doing here talking to us about cars? shouldn't you be giving a lesson to Stephen Hawking about black hole singularities?
Old 01-06-2008, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Passpeed
Wow that means your pretty intelligent. So what are you doing here talking to us about cars? shouldn't you be giving a lesson to Stephen Hawking about black hole singularities?

"You're", not "Your".

I don't really think there's much more to say.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Über User

awww snap!

and he said consistantly, he is a pretty damn smart guy from what ive witnessed so far, and i also think he was referring to mostly on the Z32 on this forum, not all the knowledge in the world.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:15 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by Passpeed
Stephen Hawking falls into a much smaller percentage than 1%. the top 1% is for those of us who are around 140ish and up. Steven Hawking has an IQ quite a bit higher than that. of course, people who feel the need to lord their IQ over others are usually losers that have no other redeeming qualities.

Last edited by entropy31; 01-06-2008 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Turbo project nightmare please help