300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 06:46 AM

Tuning

Ok i had a couple of questions, does anyone know how to adjust the air and fuel? The car is running to rich? Thats why it is failing emmisions, i just dint feel like paying someone money when maybe i coudl do it mayself. Also many people have been telling me that my car is nowhere as fast as it should be considering all the mods that are on the car. I have a labtop hook up for the ecu in the car. Zlover i asked many people about the ecu and they say that the ecu is one of a kind cause you can adjust everything in the car with the lab top. Is there certain maps i need to download or what? I just want to get this z running right.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:27 AM
F5 Hero

Search google for info abuot your ECU, or contact them. You should be able to adjust it via the laptop hook up, but like you said, it's one ofa kind, so i doubt anyone has any XP on it on here.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:51 AM
confuzed member

a standalone is as high tech as you can go pretty much. It's really unneccessary for your mods, but it's nice to have if you ever can use it. Try calling the company that makes it. They should be able to tell you how to adjust your ratio.

Last edited by emo236; 10-03-2005 at 10:51 AM. Reason: crappy grammer
Old 10-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I never said your standalone system wasn't sufficient for your needs, what I said was that a JWT or Ash ECU would solve your problems. Like emo236 said, it's not necessary to have that setup with your car right now, and that's why I think it'd be much more beneficial to you to just get a JWT or Ash ECU that has been proven to pass emissions. A standalone system is way overkill for you, and it's really not necessary until you're at 500+hp and you need fine tuning to get extra power. And by the way, it is NOT one of a kind... there are many many many standalone engine management setups that allow you to adjust all ECU parameters with a laptop.

If you think that you're experienced enough to tune your own air/fuel ratios, please don't come back here and complain about how you blew your engine. A standalone system needs to be tuned with a pair of wideband O2 sensors and a professional . The dyno time (normally $80-$100 an hour with wideband) and the cost of having someone tune it will likely be more expensvie than just buying an Ash ECU, and it'll be fixed the second you install the ECU rather than having to wait to get dyno time and time with someone who can tune it. Worry about custom tuning your car when you get your aftermarket turbos (and by the way, I've been running a JWT ECU for almost 3 years now with no problems, on stock turbos and on HKS GT2530's, with over 500hp, and I've always passed emissions).

And it's LAPTOP, NOT LABTOP. (It's a computer, not some scientific facility that you hook up to your car)
Old 10-03-2005, 01:17 PM

Zlover your such a big help funny thing is iv seen and reasearced so many z's and not one has the ECU i have. I just dont feel like removing the one in the car now and going threw the trouble of selling it so on and so forth. I just dont understand why its that bad and or causing the car to act up? Im gonna call micro tech and talk to them and see what i can do. Im also gonna email brent i think u said his name is. Does he repair or just a member that lives around the way? Come on zlover dont be smart labtop
Old 10-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Bernie was his name. He does repair stuff, and it wouldn't surprise me if he could tune your car enough for you to pass emissions. I understand not wanting to go through the trouble, but I just think it might be more trouble to try to get it tuned to pass when you could just plug in another ECU (as another idea, talk to Bernie and see if he has a stock ECU lying around that you might be able to swap in just for emissions). I wouldn't sell the standalone system even if I did remove it though... I'd save that sh*t for later one when I need to fine tune my car ;p
Old 10-03-2005, 04:05 PM
confuzed member

in all honesty, I think some tuning time would be a good investment. Your car would benefit from it a lot. I've seen many times simply tuning with an SAFC on a dyno open up another 20+ hp to the wheels! It won't be too too much either.