300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

TT engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Über User

goddamn grandma your slow as crap. haha.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:24 PM
F5 Hero

hmm i thought it was MSR for mike smith racing... oh well. I'm getting them..

yes i know i'm slow, that's what happens when you have to get a divorce at the same time as this.

pulled injectors tonight, water bypass on the plenum, took upper 2 timing covers off, and the 2 hard water pipes, removed ac compressor... and.... smoked alot of cigarettes....
Old 03-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Über User

thanks for making me look like an ***! jk. thats no fun. at least have something to ease the mind, sorta...
Old 03-11-2009, 07:35 PM
F5 Hero

haha it's cool, it's for the best. we've been apart a month and she's already see'ing someone else... well of course my lady is in the garage... ahaha. i'll get more ladies easily with a nice TT z anyways.....

to keep it topic related... injectors are going to witch hunter (www.witchhunter.com) for flow testing and cleaning. Turbo's are going to G pop shop (www.gpopshop.com) for rebuilds, still looking for a local powder coater, ordered my MSP manifolds (greg was ALREADY sold out, he'll have more next week). And I managed to break EVERY SINGLE bolt on the heat shield from the stock down pipes bc they were so rusty.... haha.. and of course.... smoked alot of cigs.. or as they call them in england, ****.... =)

i also got all my stock parts in from nissan, there's so many gaskest and washers and crap that i hardly remember what all i ordered and where it all goes! haha

Last edited by napoleonzheking; 03-11-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:54 AM
F5 Hero

made the 1 hour drive to where my car is. got there around 10, pulled the tranny and engine out of my NA by 12. tomorrow I will power wash the engine bay, replace my steering rack bushing, put the intercoolers and intake piping in, oil cooler, replace all O rings in the AC system and get it ready to go and other misc stuff while the engine is out.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:50 PM
F5 Hero

So in the end, I pulled the motor + tranny, replaced my steering rack bushings, put on my kazama 8 piece sub frame spacers, power washed the engine bay (WHAT A DIFFERENCE), changed out my PS resevoir hard lines (the one that runs across the front to the rack), changed out one ac line to TT one, broke the other one and carefully bent the NA line so I could get the intercoolers + plumbing on, replaced the two fuel lines that run between the two hard lines that go to the filter and FPR, and put in my new EFI harness.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Über User

finish her up eh!
Old 03-29-2009, 01:15 AM
F5 Hero

yes soon, the main thing slowing me up is having to wait on OTHEr people. my powder coater was out of town all week.... waiting on exhaust manifolds that were back ordered, waiting on my turbos get finished being rebuilt, **** like that.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:45 PM
F5 Hero

Decided to paint my exhaust manifold heat shields while i was putting on my MS manifolds to elimate the rust and prevent any more rust from forming and to earn points towards any ZCCA show I enter (no rust on manifolds, i'm including the heat shield in that). used 1600 degree paint, i just need to find a place to bake them now (someone who wont care if i stink their house up for a day or so). they turned out well. i didn't do a super good job just because you won't hardly be able to see them, but just a good job.

they will match my red valve covers (not pictured) nicely.

Last edited by napoleonzheking; 04-25-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:28 PM
F5 Hero

Got my turbos back from rebuild. They look newer than new.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Über User

just stock rebuild?
Old 04-25-2009, 07:41 PM
F5 Hero

Yes, but i had them insert a 360° thrust bearing (vs stock 270°) and some other things.

But yes, they way I can make myself feel better about not doing injectors, intercoolers, and turbos while the motor is out is the fact that I'm going from a NA to a TT with every bolt on possible, so it's already going to be a significant upgrade and a completely different car. I want to relearn how to drive the car first before I start getting too crazy.

I had all stock injectors cleaned and flow tested and the stock turbos rebuilt, they had 80k, on them. The last thing I want to do is put it together and have something not work.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Über User

well intercoolers and injectors you can do anytime. but if it comes back to re-doing the turbo's to something upgraded it sure will suck.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:17 AM
F5 Hero

did timing belt job and wasn't exactly following the write up and forgot that i need to torque the intake came sprockets BEFORE i put the belt on. Went to torque them and the belt ALMOST jumped... so rather than take it off and use the belt wrap technique or something like that to tighten them, i invented a new technique.. can only be done with an assistant...

one of the rubber oil filter remover tools and also hold down on the timing belt while someone torques. worked great.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:02 AM
F5 Hero

quit awhile, very very long while since i did an update... but after a divorce, having to move twice, and having to move my car and all parts + a parts car to a completely different garage.... all i will say is... it lives.... soon.... (hopefully... lol)

Old 08-23-2009, 08:04 PM

When you removed the engine, did you have to drop the subframe? for the oil pan to clear, or did you have no problems at all? btw, build looks awesome.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:31 PM
F5 Hero

I did not have to drop the sub frame. The only time you have to do that to my understanding is if you leave the tranny attached, which i have never pulled a Z engine with the tranny attached.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:34 PM
F5 Hero

rubberized my battery tray. Also, engine is ready to go in. Just have some more small things to do. Still have to figure out the AC situation. I need new TT ac lines now. After that, should be able to drop this bad boy in.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:54 PM
F5 Hero

Sorry for the crappy picture quality this time.
Got my gauges installed...
Name:  gauge.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  27.8 KB
and got something else installed....
Name:  engine.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  54.0 KB

Got the flywheel and clutch on.
Name:  DSC00660.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  99.0 KB
Also got the holes drilled for the oil cooler bracket and mounted that.. Biggest hold up is I can't get the AC line from the compressor to the condenser to start threading... I sat there for 3 hours tonight spinning it and nothing happened....

Also got to get a bolt that mounts the PS pump to the bracket... (I forgot to swap the NA and TT brackets before putting the engine in, luckily it wasn't too much of a pita to do it with it in)... I seem to have misplaced mine. I found my TT one, but obviously it isn't long enough...

anyone happen to know the length and thread pitch on that bolt so I can grab another one at the hardware store during the week?

Now I get to deal with this wiring nightmare I found when I went to install my turbo timer.... This was the "security system" that the previous owner had installed / installed....

The wires with yellow zip ties are what I wired for my gauges... Looks way different than the wiring that whatever tool did this.....
Name:  DSC00667.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  96.5 KB

See this post for reference about turbo timer install..
http://www.300zxclub.com/showthread....21#post1814921

*EDIT* yes... that is a 240sx with a furby sitting on top....

Last edited by napoleonzheking; 11-09-2009 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Furby
Old 11-27-2009, 12:58 PM
F5 Hero

got my oil cooler, ac lines, tranny, and drive shaft in. forgot my starter in conway (about 45 minutes from the garage). and the low pressure in take pipes are a BIZNITCH! huge pain to get them on, i havn't yet... so a few more little things and it should turn over.

what's the trick to these accordion pipes?

Last edited by napoleonzheking; 11-29-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:10 PM
F5 Hero

been awhile since an update. comes in video form this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS37ivc21Hk
Old 01-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Pr0n Addict

congratulations. i know you know what you're doing and it's all worked out, but don't you think it's a bit of a bad idea to have your first start be without mufflers on? it's hard to hear if anything's going wrong with the engine! i'm just paranoid about that though. thanks for the update!
Old 01-03-2010, 04:19 PM
F5 Hero

I didn't want to put them all back on and then have to pull the engine on.. The mufflers were put on right after that start... However my ECU from Z1 was bad. Car would start, but not turn off.... The new one should be in next week.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Über User

hard to tell but was it firing on all 6 cylinders?
Old 01-19-2010, 10:39 PM
F5 Hero

I believe it is... I haven't really gotten to drive it yet still. I did hook up the exhaust with an NA ECU during ECU dianostics just to let it idle and it sounded 100% better... only thing that worries me if that i couldn't hear the turbos at all with no exhaust, vs my friend's with open downpipes you could blatantly hear them down spooling. But they are rebuilt with 0 miles and no shaft play, so maybe it's because I had manifolds and he didn't. Mine was also WAY more loud than his was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJcmJiuhapU

here's the video.

Quick Reply: TT engine removal