300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 09:31 PM

Steering

eh, next issue with my baby I have noticed a 6 inch or so dead spot in the steering wheel, it moves depending on which way I steered last (e.g. if I turned right, then centered my wheels the center of the steering wheel would be at the 2 oclock position but centering the steeringwheel would turn me slightly left)... I hadnt driven my car in a couple weeks or so, so Im not sure if it has increased recently or I simply wasnt used to it anymore... but either way it bothers the hell out of me, and I dont feel as confident in my ability to steer precisely (I hate not having exact control with a twitch of my wrist)... I was wondering, what might be causing this and if its easy to fix for somewhat of a novice mechanic or if its a shop job how much it might cost?
Old 01-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Prolly worn steering rack and / or tie rod endz. There is an adjustment that you can make on the rack to get rid of some of the play, but it's usually a temporary fix.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:04 AM

about how much you think it might cost to fix? and any suggestions on brands or anything?
Old 01-28-2006, 06:18 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Remanufactured unit is around $220. The last one I did (non-z) took me around 4 hours.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
Prolly worn steering rack and / or tie rod endz. There is an adjustment that you can make on the rack to get rid of some of the play, but it's usually a temporary fix.
hey wats the ajustment taht you do ? how do you do this ? is it on the tie rods the nut i no that ajusts the toe in and out but is there an ajustment on the rack if so where and how much and when should i stop ajusting watever u adjust, how much?
Old 01-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by rayraydoet
hey wats the ajustment taht you do ? how do you do this ? is it on the tie rods the nut i no that ajusts the toe in and out but is there an ajustment on the rack if so where and how much and when should i stop ajusting watever u adjust, how much?
Shut up........
Old 01-30-2006, 06:48 PM

Lol... I was actually wondering the same thing but I would rather replace/rebuild it then just temporarily fixing it, although a temp fix for the next month or so until I finish redoing my brakes might be worth doing...
Old 01-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by Aphrodite
Lol... I was actually wondering the same thing but I would rather replace/rebuild it then just temporarily fixing it, although a temp fix for the next month or so until I finish redoing my brakes might be worth doing...
You, I'll help.... :-)

Since I can't post pics, I can't mark up the fsm page. I haven't done this to a Z yet, but I've done it to a number of other vehicles.

If you look at the page, you'll see the pinion assembly. Just to the left of it is a line of parts, ie: retainer, spring seat, washer, spring disc, spring, adjusting screw, and locknut. Those components apply pressure against the rack assembly where it rides against the pinion assembly.

http://www.300zx.co.uk/cgi-bin/manua...fault&total=98

As things wear, the spring isn't enough to keep the pressure against the pinion. Hence the play in the steering wheel. You can actually tighten that adjusting screw down to where the wheel is hard to turn. You don't want it that tight. It'll also feel clunky if it's too tight. I usually tighten things down until I feel some resistance in the wheel, then back it off a little.

Play also developes in the u-joints that go up to the steering wheel. There's no adjustment there, but if you replace the rack, you might want to put new joints in too.

Again this is a temporary fix for a worn rack. Temporary might even be a coupla years depending on how much you drive the car.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:56 PM

is this easy to get to? or should I plan to do it on a day I have all day to work on it...
Old 01-31-2006, 03:20 AM
Jack Of All Trades

dunno for sure cuz I haven't actually looked for the adjusting screw..... but iirc, I was putting o2'z in another guys Z on sunday, and the area where the screw would be was pretty open.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:53 AM

Rack is $350 at COZ

http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...4666.235.3.221

Well, if it's the rack DO NOT take it to Nissan. They quoted a friend of mine $1200 just for the rack itself. Then the $700 in labor.

You should make sure if it is just the inner tie rodor not. PS racks are definitely a PITA to replace on these cars if you think about the cost of Nissan to do it. It will be hard if you try yourself but not impossible.

Do you have a FSM? If not get one or go to

http://300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/manual.cgi

This site can really help when you need to understand clearly.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:31 PM

yes I have a FSM... I keep it on my passenger seat when no ones in it lol