300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

leaking steering fluid? need new steering rack?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 05:35 PM

leaking steering fluid? need new steering rack?

1990 Nissan 300zx (stock)

Ok so the past 2 weeks I've had to consistently fill my steering fluid. It now drains almost immediately... as though there's a big ****in hole at the bottom of the reservoir. I checked the tubing (in plain sight) and it's practically soaked. I tightened the the little clamps in case they were just loose.

All of this was an exercise in futility.

I took it to a local shop today and they said that I need a new steering rack and pinion and that it's going to cost me $1,000. Are there any cheaper solutions or should I just bite the bullet?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:33 PM
confuzed member

well, the fluid could ruin your alternator. to your leaking issue, why not remove all the power steering components and replace all the hoses, etc. Check it all and make sure to fix the leaks in that area. your leaks are probably from the pump/reservior, not the rack since you said you already found a hole in your reservior! I would guess that the hole is the major attributing factor and would get a new reserviour.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:17 AM
Jack Of All Trades

I agree with emo. I wouldn't trust the place giving you the $1k estimate. Start with the rubber hoses that are known to leak over time. I had to replace a leaking return hose myself. It cost $8. The pressure hose can be kind of expensive, something like $100 or so. I believe you can replace the seals in the rack if necessary.

A rebuilt replacement rack should be in the $300 range. If your steering feels tight, relatively (not power steering wise), like there's no play or slop between when you turn the steering wheel and the front wheels turning, then the rack is prolly not worn out. An example of worn steering is generally any old ford pickup where you can turn the steering wheel 1/4 turn in either direction and the front wheels don't move.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:00 AM

Thanks guys. I really do appreciate it.

I'm gonna go pick up the car from the shop and try to fix it myself (with a friend's help) and then when I fail, I'll take it back to the shop and pay out the $1,000. At that point, I'll be selling the car. I can't afford to run this thing anymore. :-( Full time college, part time job... just not working. I'll end up getting a Civic or a Passat, probably the Civic though cuz it's less expensive to run.

I'll miss my baby. *cries*
Old 12-14-2005, 12:39 AM

Well, I'm having a problem with my steering also...I've been told it's the rack. Fluid stays full , but there is no sloppiness to the steering. When I turn, the wheels turn, It's just really hard to do considering I have no power steering for one reason or another.

Should I assume that the mechanic WANTS me to pay more for the rack, but it may not be necessary? Should I try to change out the power steering pump or anything else myself first before paying to have the rack replaced?