300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Squealing noise when starting

Old 06-13-2011, 05:42 PM

Squealing noise when starting

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I'll most likely be buying my Z32 tomorrow night and I wanted to get started on my car research. My first question is about a strange squealing noise that appears just after starting the car. To me, it sounds like some kind of belt that's making noise because the car isn't driven much but I could be wrong. The noise disappears shortly after initial start up and doesn't occur while driving. Anyone know the cause of this?
Old 06-13-2011, 06:12 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Without actually hearing it, and by going by your description of "squeal"... I'd say an accessory belt, or starter. Take a flashlight and some basic tools, and do a lil digging...
Old 06-13-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Welcome to ZDriver!

Without actually hearing it, and by going by your description of "squeal"... I'd say an accessory belt, or starter. Take a flashlight and some basic tools, and do a lil digging...
I figured it was probably the accessory belt. I'd be surprised if it was the starter because it fires right up, but then again, I could be wrong. The squealing sound disappears shortly after starting which also makes me doubt it being the starter because if it was a starter wouldn't it only make a sound while it was still starting and stop after it was fully started? Thanks for the help by the way.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

You have a loose accessory belt. Tighten them. There should be less than a half-inch or so of deflection if you push on them.

If that doesn't do it, look into belt dressing - it's a spray that will quiet it.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
You have a loose accessory belt. Tighten them. There should be less than a half-inch or so of deflection if you push on them.

If that doesn't do it, look into belt dressing - it's a spray that will quiet it.
How can you tighten the belt? I was thinking about just spraying it, but I'd rather fix the problem than just cover it up.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Every belt-driven accessory on the VG30 has a tension adjustment bolt. Figure out which belt, follow it to that accessory, find the bolt on the accessory bracket that pivots the accessory in/out... can't really describe it better without coming over and holding your hand...
Old 06-17-2011, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
Every belt-driven accessory on the VG30 has a tension adjustment bolt. Figure out which belt, follow it to that accessory, find the bolt on the accessory bracket that pivots the accessory in/out... can't really describe it better without coming over and holding your hand...
Sounds like a plan, thanks. The only other thing that it might be that I haven't already mentioned would be if a little bit of power steering fluid got on one of the belts when the hose coming from the fluid reservoir was loose and leaking. A little bit of liquid on the belt could probably cause that sound too.