ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-performance-technical-47/)
-   -   Spark plugs. (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-performance-technical-47/spark-plugs-8308/)

emo236 02-13-2004 11:16 PM

I didn't say anything...looks like you have YOUR mind on something else...that's not what I was even thinking of much less attempting to imply.

Z_WRECKER 02-15-2004 01:23 PM

no problem man... we got the head resurfaced and the new gasket in...we cleaned everything up as well and now the car runs sweet :)

emo236 02-15-2004 05:41 PM

And you did this on Valentine's Day?

Z_WRECKER 02-16-2004 07:53 AM

no yesterday...sunday and all day friday, we had the head resurfaced by noon on Vday, but i didn't work on it

justun ross 03-02-2004 10:35 AM

bosch plugs

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Guys, I think the new guy will fit in well. He's already insulting FORD's! It only took 6 posts. That must be a record!

Anyways, please elaborate on the overall crapiness of BOSCH plugs. I don't mean the +2 or +4, because i agree with you there. Those are a joke. What's wrong with the standard Bosch Platinum? There's a study on this post that shows the Bosch out-performing the NGK.

ok sorry it took so long i've been away.if you look at a bosch platinum it has a teeny tiny little center electrode. you see a lot of white ceramic but right there, in the center you see what looks to be a scrap of dust. THAT'S THE PLATINUM BOSCH GIVES YOU!!!!! ngk and denso use what is called the platinum disc system. the entire top of their electrode is platinum. gee let me think. how much oil or trash will it take to cover up that speck of platinum on the bosch plug compared to the ngk? and let me remind you, that ceramic is there for a reason but IT DON'T SPARK!!!!! matter of fact ngk double platinum uses 2 discs one on the center electrode and one on the anode(the part it sparks to). look for yourself. go get a bosch and an ngk and look for the platinum. it's there on one not the other.

91zxtt 03-02-2004 11:36 AM

Ok, I agree that the platinum surface area of the Bosch plugs is small when compared to the NGK, but one of the links listed previous showed that the Bosch out-performed the NGK's. I've had Bosch Platinums in my car for almost 5 years and I've never had a problem. Eventhough the Bosch don't look as good as the NGK, I'll take performance over looks anyday. Justun, do you have a link to a study, or anything else that supports the NGK perform better?

justun ross 03-08-2004 09:10 AM

plugs

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Ok, I agree that the platinum surface area of the Bosch plugs is small when compared to the NGK, but one of the links listed previous showed that the Bosch out-performed the NGK's. I've had Bosch Platinums in my car for almost 5 years and I've never had a problem. Eventhough the Bosch don't look as good as the NGK, I'll take performance over looks anyday. Justun, do you have a link to a study, or anything else that supports the NGK perform better?

ok, i was a rep for a couple of car parts groups (3m, bendix, wix, ngk, etc.) for a couple of years. when it comes to plugs or anything for that matter, use what YOU like. if it works for you,great.i'm just going by tests, schooling and so on. i also have a FIAT(ok thats enough laughing)and i usually use autolite plugs in it. but look, nissan could use ANY plug they wanted. they do not use bosch. the thing to really get your attention though is this, most european auto manufacturers don't use bosch either. by the way i represented for bosch too! they make great switches and relays and stuff. just not spark plugs. justun ross

emo236 03-08-2004 10:53 AM

all about the NGKs. And you have....hahahaha...a...hahahahaha....FIAT? hahaha, jk jk. You said that was enough laughing but I had to add more. Fiat's aren't that bad.

91zxtt 03-09-2004 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by justun ross
ok, i was a rep for a couple of car parts groups (3m, bendix, wix, ngk, etc.) for a couple of years. when it comes to plugs or anything for that matter, use what YOU like. if it works for you,great.i'm just going by tests, schooling and so on. i also have a FIAT(ok thats enough laughing)and i usually use autolite plugs in it. but look, nissan could use ANY plug they wanted. they do not use bosch. the thing to really get your attention though is this, most european auto manufacturers don't use bosch either. by the way i represented for bosch too! they make great switches and relays and stuff. just not spark plugs. justun ross

I'm not arguing your points. It's not that I LIKE Bosch. I like using what's best. I'd just like to see the tests you have. We had a link to some tests that showed Bosch outperformed NGK. I agree with your points about NGK having larger platinum electrodes, but the performance data we have shows that bosch still outperformed NGK. The costs of the NGK would lead one to think that they are superior plugs, but obviously cost isn't a deciding factor on performance. I'd just like to see a test that showed that the NGK's outperformed the Bosch. I would definitely consider switching, but i'd like to know that I'm improving my situation.

justun ross 03-10-2004 10:42 AM

just a note

Originally Posted by emo236
all about the NGKs. And you have....hahahaha...a...hahahahaha....FIAT? hahaha, jk jk. You said that was enough laughing but I had to add more. Fiat's aren't that bad.

by the way,i have an '83 fiat X1/9, a '59 austin healey bugeye sprite, and a fiat 850 spider, along with my z cars. my fiats have NEVER put me down. like they say "when they crank they run like a sewing machine. with about the same amount of power" justun ross

91zxtt 03-10-2004 11:54 AM

My dad had a bugeye sprite when he was in high school. Those things are cool. He still has the gear shift knob from it.

emo236 03-10-2004 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by justun ross
"when they crank they run like a sewing machine. with about the same amount of power" justun ross

ROFL! That's a good one.

emo236 03-25-2004 06:29 PM

I found this the other day. THIS is why NGK plugs work best in our cars!
http://twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg.asp...&msg_id=872173

91zxtt 03-26-2004 10:32 AM

I stand very corrected. That makes perfect sense. Thanx EMO. You and Justun were right all along. That's why these forums are so great. We all get learn. You had mentioned earlier that we're supposed to use a #6 plug for stage 3+. Do you have a part #? I know, I'm lazy. Help a brotha out. I'm not looking forward to changing my plugs again. I don't know how Wreckere does it. :D

emo236 03-26-2004 12:15 PM

here:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/z32_tuneup.html

domsgarage 03-27-2004 08:23 AM

Looks like im going back to NGK's.

emo236 03-27-2004 09:57 AM

now how abotu wrecker gets his butt on here and tells us how he does them. It's probable the same way we do them, but whatever...let us know!

outkast19 06-22-2004 12:11 AM

Denso?

Does Any One Here Have Any Personal Experience With The Denso Iridium Spark Plus? Ive Read They Suppose To Add Hp And Improve Aceleration And Fuel Economy, At 12.99 A Pop X6 Do You Think There Worth It.?

DanZ32 06-22-2004 06:55 AM

The NGK's fit best, therefore work best.
I was considering the same thing recently. I read enough from everyone's post to stick with the NGK's. So, that's what went in. This is one of those areas where pretty much everyone has been of the same opinion.

emo236 06-25-2004 08:14 AM

2nd. stick with NGKs. most other brand plugs will not fit all the way into the cylinder. if you want, you can go a step or two colder with the NGKs.

frosty 06-25-2004 06:09 PM

I'd like to give my 2 cents on some of the plug theories since no one has mentioned it.

First, the +2 and +4 plugs. Electricity takes the path of least resistance, the less resistance the stonger the spark. Giving the spark two or four optional paths increases the odds of the strongest spark possible.

Platinum/Iridium...look the Bosch is so small. The idea of using harder materials is so that the tip can be machined as small as possible. This lets the current sent to the plug to accumulate at the tip, which should help increase the odds of the strongest spark possible.

Notice I never said anything about increased hp, dont know how much these things help, dont care. All I do know is they should increase the odds of a stronger spark more often.

As far as the plugs not fitting into the chamber, well that would seem like a serious enough problem that none of these other points matter. And the whole fouling the Boschs because of the small tip, I would say you have other problems.

Riz Z Speed 06-28-2004 01:47 AM

Iridiums are really meant for high compression motors & NA cars and should not really be run a TT's, platinum should do the job fine, i tryed irdiums in my TT a long time ago, it made it ping like a mofo under boost. I know a guy who runs iridiums in his NA, and seems to be doing pretty good with em, but be careful NOT to use the Denso ones, as they are too short for the 300zx head cylinders, that would cause the spark to get masked since it isnt long enough. Use the ones made by HKS or NGK...same shit. The reason i wouldnt want to run em, is that the iridium tips are extremely small and very easy to break off (0.4~0.7mm tip) under boost that would not be a good situation.

Final answer, they are OK to run in a NA, but not TT's, they claim better fuel milage, better overall performance, better acceleration, better idle qualities, but then again, dont all spark plug companies claim this crap on their plugs?
this was quoted to me from someone with some experience on the matter. Opened my eyes.

Zane Loucks 06-06-2017 02:50 PM

Thanks for all the great input! I am about to change my plugs for the first time. Got the tools for the job. My Z is a 1991 300zx tt and the only mods I have going right now is 91 octane safe tune on ecu, and HKS cat back exhaust. Soon to have more later. but my question is, are there gaskets for the balance tube? Any problems using NgK platinum's?