300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

PCV Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 05:24 PM

PCV Question

My Z uses some oil and it appears that most of it is going into the intake manifold and from the research i've done i'm not the only one with this problem. The link below has one solution that has evidently worked for lots of people but with the in and out fittings for the PCV system so close together on the valve cover it doesn't look like you would get very good flow through the crankcase. It would vent of course but fresh air would not flow through the crankcase like Nissan intended.

My idea was to reverse the flow through the system by hooking the fittings from the top of the intake valve covers to the PCV valves then hook the low fitting from the exhaust valve cover to one of the intake hoses. This would still circulate air through the crankcase but the flow into the PCV valves and the intake would be from the highest point in the system instead of the lowest. If I remember correctly all of the fittings are baffled.

Has anyone ever tried this or see a reason it wouldn't work.

Thanks
Jason

http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300z...-write-up.html
Old 01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Jack Of All Trades

I've done exactly what you described, by reversing the flow. It has been track tested and no oil travels through the PCV valves due to high cornering loads. There is a write-up on 3ZC about how I did this.

If you are passing oil due to high blow-by past the rings, a re-route or relocation isn't likely to help. You may want to consider running a catch-can.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:38 PM

Thanks CC that's good to know. I made the switch last night and everything seems to work fine. I'll keep checking the oil to see if there is any change. I don't go to the track but I do like curvy back roads