300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Our Z is retarded.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 11:57 PM

Our Z is retarded.

So our 90' Z Natural Aspirated-Twin Turbo project car was running fine intill last night. It was hessitated off the line worst than ANY car I have ever seen. Like it felt like a complete first gear failure. So we got it back to the shop, put her up, first thing I thought was the torque converter, checked it, FINE. The flywheel, FINE. Entire transmission, FINE. Linkage, FINE. Rear end clutch plates, FINE. Then came the ECU. Thats where we ran into a problem. We did the standard SFI test, we checked both the IEOE, and the IEOR test. We checked F1-F6 cylinders. it seemed as though the F3 and the F6 cylinders were firing more powerfull than the others, almost twice as much! SO we checked the programing, nothing. We then checked the Ignition and the sparkplugs. FINE. we even probed the entire wire harrness. I checked the ignition coils, FINE! Ussually when the F1-F4, F2-F5, F3-F6 are firing off, it is the Ignition coil, yet it wasnt, they were all firing around 11.139. off by maybe a thousanths or so, nothing to bad. But the F3-F6 were firing over 30.! That is way over the limit. I am confused, I guess that is what you get when you Convert anything. ANY HELP IS WELCOME! peace
If at FIRST you don't SUCCEDE, LOWER your STANDARDS.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:43 AM
I'm Chillin

Checking the coils

I am wanting to go through and check all of my coils but really do not know how to do it. I have meters and all the gear just need to know what voltage it should read and how to check them. Can you help?
Old 06-06-2003, 08:31 AM

OK resistance between pin 1 (on the left) and 2 (in the center) on the coil pack( looking at the top of the coil with plug at the top) should be about 0.7 ohms. I would say if the ohms is say 0.3 higher or lower than that would affect the opperation of the coil. Happy ZZZing

Last edited by drag_300japan; 06-06-2003 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:20 AM

drag_300japan. Does this make ANY sense to you. We checked it today, and it just isnt adding up though. I think there is something VERY wrong with the ECU/ECM. Can you help me out here, we are all very confused. thanks, peace.
If at FIRST you do not SUCCEDE, LOWER your STANDARDS.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:05 PM

First did you check the coils like i said. 2 are you roming your own computer? Nissan computers are concidered stupid compared to other cars. I was thinking about going to the AEM computer! the problem there is that they wont make a map for the Z or any other Nissan for that mater. Have you checked the power transistor? I found out when I changed from auto to manuel that I had to leave all the boxes from the auto in for every thing to work. When you switched to turbo did you have every thing to go with it? this could could be hard to figure out and I'm sure that when its found that It's somthing stupid. give me more info!
Old 06-07-2003, 11:57 AM

Basically we bought a front clip form Okinawa, Japan. It had EVERYTHING. BUT we upraded to a JUN (I THINK) ECU. but we have wired it both ways and it still is being weird. We checked the coils the first day it happened, we did the basic IOEO and the IOER test, and the number [f]3 and F6 were firing off. Probabaly by almost twice as much as the others. WHICH is usually a problem with the coils. We even checked the wireharrness, and probed the whole thing. So I am thinking the ECU is completely destroy, and unfortately, out of our whole team we do not have anyone who can modify an ECU. So I am thinking that we may be better off completely buying a new ECU, you think so?? Thanks man, peace.