300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

I cleaned this connector, now my car is acting stupid retarded.. (pic+video)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:01 PM

I cleaned this connector, now my car is acting stupid retarded.. (pic+video)

Alright so heres what happen.. I was checking some of my connectors and I came across this connector (colored in pink) and took the clips off and realized that it was pretty corroded, so I scrubbed it off and added some deelectric grease. Before doing this I also removed this connector (blue) it seemed in pretty good shape so after cleaning the (pink) connector I put everything back.

Now I noticed something funny once I placed everything back together.. when I placed the car in nuetral, the RPM's shot up to 2k which normally doesn't happen, after messing around with the (blue) connector I realized that I didn't connect it right so I readjusted it to the point where the rpm's were at about 500 when in nuetral.

Now heres where I ran into another problem..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDltE8-RHnc

As you can see from the video, the rpms fluctuate up and down when I give it a little gas, once I punch it or pick up speed the car drives smooth, its just whenever I have my foot slightly on the gas peddle its when the rpms go all stupid. another thing I noticed is that it now shifts gears at higher rpms'. around 4k rather then 3k...

It has to be my connector right? i mean, it wasn't doing this before I cleaned it off, could it be that I added too much de-electric grease?
Old 01-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Pr0n Addict

the blue "connector" is your TPS. it senses the position of your throttle, and adjusts fuel accordingly. there is a whole write up on getting this set properly, which you need to do every time it unnecessarily comes off. you just need to clean where the wires connect to it. it doesn't need to come off unless it is broken. look for the tps setting in the online fsm or on tt.net. i'll find it for you in a few.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Pr0n Addict

http://www.300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-b...ault&total=190

that should do it
Old 01-16-2009, 08:38 PM

Man thanks alot.. yeah this was a mistake on my part.. I was just going through some connectors to see if there was any corrosion on any of them, thanks again.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Pr0n Addict

np. when taking something apart, if you get confused, it's good to look it up before you cause more work for yourself. but mistakes happen. one time, i put my crank shaft sprocket on backwards, a brand new one, and had to take it all the way back off just to turn it around.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by KasbeKZ
np. when taking something apart, if you get confused, it's good to look it up before you cause more work for yourself. but mistakes happen. one time, i put my crank shaft sprocket on backwards, a brand new one, and had to take it all the way back off just to turn it around.
haha yeah..well if I have time tomorrow I'll try to fix this issue, I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:01 PM

Alright so.. I didn't use the multimeter but I did notice that there was a loose connection, and I readjusted the TPS and now the car runs a hell of a lot smoother, it still jerks when changing gears but its very fain and subtle