300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

No Power

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 11:47 PM

No Power

This may save someone a lot of time (and maybe money): I had a weird thing happen to my '90 Z... One day I drove to the store and when I got ready to leave, I had NO power... zip... zero. No lights, nothing.

Battery was hot so I started poking around with the fuses. I remembered there's a box next to the battery with fuses in it. One is marked 'Battery" I wiggled all the fuses and (the fusible link?) and... Presto! I had electrical power again!

Today it did the same thing again... this time I left the door ajar so I could watch the dome light. And sure enough, when I touched the fuses, the light flickered on. I am going to clean the contacts real good tomorrow and see what happens then.

Hope this helps someone.

Johann B.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:04 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

Yup, been there, done that....

It's probably the big blue fusible link.
I've changed mine a couple of times already. Blew it once when I was changing the Alternator. The other time, I dunno. Just blew out. I carry a spare now. The sucky part is that, that piece is a special order. Most dealerships, if any, don't stock it.
But it's a good idea to clean the contacts in case it's something else. If you can fit your hand under there, try and push the wires up into the plastic fusible block. One of them may have been accidentally been pulled outward enough that it's not making appropriate contact with the fusible links. Thus, causing your situation. I'm guessing the absolute loss of power thing is the blue fusible link though.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:54 PM

RE:Yup, been there, done that.

Thanks for the reply. It's the fusible link alright. It's done it 3 more times this week. I removed it and the contacts are badly corroded. A piece of one of them fell off in my hand.

You would think the dealer would stock an item like that. I am going to try to clean the contacts again, and if that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to replace it.

I appreciate the help. This forum has been a big help to me.

Thanks,
Johann B.