300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

New to forum- new to z32s- need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 06:44 PM

New to forum- new to z32s- need help

Hey guys. I wouldn't normally do this but I'm in a pickle here. I had my heart set on a turbo miata, but I have since come to my senses. I have found what looks like a really nice 91' ZX TT. I have to have a car for work Monday so I have to go see this one tomorrow or Sunday!

If we were talking about miatas I could write a book, but I have only recently found the glory of the 300's.

I am currently searching my *** off and trying to find answers everywhere, but I need some experience to speak for me and help me make the big decision.

I thank you in advance. See below.

1991 300zx twin turbo
115k miles
manual
Brand new paint (black and real fire)
Body kit I think is a wings west, installed well.
18" rims with near new tires
Garrett 60 trim turbos
HKS BOVs
Jim Wolf Technologies ECU
Apexi digital turbo timer
digital actuator controller
he says 12lb clutch
and boost-a-pump

I am speaking with the owner. He told me that the absolute only problem the car has is both front O2 sensors need to be replaced.

Please guys. Tell me what to look for on these cars. I dont want to make a big mistake and buy a hunk o junk that looks good. FWIW the engine bay looks stock to me.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Horsepower Mathematician

Welcome! Main thing I think is it's coming up to 120k mile tune up. Would be nice if that was already out of the way, a pretty big job I hear.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:30 PM

If you buy the car, the first thing you want to do it the 120k tune up. I wouldn't drive it far without it. Unless the seller can produce paperwork that it was done. It is a relatively expensive job, parts are $725+. But that's nothing compared to replacing the engine if the timing belt lets go.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 PM

Replacing the driver side O2 sensor is a real bitch. Passenger side isn't so bad, but take it from experience, if you buy it, you should probably have a lift.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:45 AM

As far as the o2's are concerned I agree...they are a pain. However there is a trick to them. It requires you to unbolt the transmission mount and jack the rear of the transmission up-shifting the engine forward. Makes getting them a bit easier but still a nightmare.

Next you'll notice a common theme going on for good reason. The 120k mile marker. Timing belt...timing belt...and did I mention timing belt?

Not sure what you mean by 60 trim turbos because that could mean anything. More info and mileage on them would be helpful too.

Lastly I would be curious to see what the compression numbers are? You can have a good sounding and ok running car with low compression. Then one day the car is not running with any power. That would be my suggestions. Also look for any leaks. Oil, ps or trans. Things like that can also be an indication to the cars maintenance and future repairs.