300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Need Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

If your friend were here, I'd tell him that it's really not flowing enough for his GT2530 RB26. He would be making more power with a larger exhaust.

As I said before, there have been proven gains on the Z32TT by switching from 2.5" dual to 3" dual... you're losing a LOT of flow by doing 3" single and it will hurt your performance. But this horse has been dead for a month or however long it's been since your thread about it.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Goofyz
91zxtt,
and seriously most of the time you drive your car you are over 3000rpm? You mean you don't use 5th gear on the highway and keep it in 2nd in town? You must like to pay 4.00$ for gas.
You appear to not grasp what I'm talking about here, so I'll try to make it easier for you. Who the hell cares about horsepower when you're cruising down the freeway at 2500 rpm's? You care about peak horsepower where you actually use it and when you actually want it; which is generally when you're hard on the throttle. Last time I checked, most people don't shift at 3k rpms, but if you do then you should consider selling your Z for a Prius so you get more out of your $4 per gallon. Most people don't own these cars for their fuel economy. They own them for their performace and how they look.....notice how those two things are different. Funny how that works.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:22 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

let's not forget that you only need around 15hp to maintain speed on the freeway. so it doesn't really matter if you can make 40hp or 40000000000hp at cruising RPM.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Guys, there's a reason I stopped responding to him.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:29 AM

And there it is again

If you bought your car for performance and looks wouldn't you want to maintain both? That is what I'm talking about when I say you have to add in aesthetics to any aftermarket purchase. Basically, you have to ask yourself, "Am I, by adding this part, subtracting from the whole?" and if the answer is yes then why would you do it?

But if there is only one answer to any question of performance out there, only one "best" for every application. Why do we even have this forum? We would just need a "Best of" list by Zlover and an "I second that" by 91zxtt or entropy31. If that's true just work on that list and then you wont have to even post anymore on such topics.

Stop taking every disagreement as an assault to your manhood and realize its just two people looking at a problem differently and coming up with different answers.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by Goofyz
But if there is only one answer to any question of performance out there, only one "best" for every application. Why do we even have this forum? We would just need a "Best of" list by Zlover and an "I second that" by 91zxtt or entropy31. If that's true just work on that list and then you wont have to even post anymore on such topics.
There can only be one best performing product.

And the forum serves as a connection to people who can answer questions about problems they have as well... it'd be ridiculous to say "the best solution to a non-running Z is new injectors," the problems are always more particular than that. Forums exist so people can get help from the people who are able to help... not from people who aren't able to help.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:14 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

why is this still going on? the HKS is shown to be the best flowing STREET LEGAL COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE exhaust (which is what we are talking about, not straight pipes out the sides). the Specialty Z has been shown to flow almost as good. those are matters of fact, backed up with shown evidence. looks are a matter of opinion. Zlover never said that either of those is the outright best and only choice for all people. he merely stated that, in his OPINION, they were the best choices for him. everything else in this thread is just useless bickering over semantics and opinions.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:57 PM

Ok

Then here is my opinion,

If you are going for stage 3 and probably wont be going further than that, it really doesn't matter what hi quality exhaust you get. The difference between them with Boost jets, and intake and ECU remap is minimal probably 1-5hp near max RPM. Go with what you think looks and sounds best out of the popular named brand stuff.

For the record Zlover, I said "you wont have to even post anymore on such topics" not all topics. Like when someone wants help with something other than "best" Just submit your best exhaust, best intake, best tires, best whatevers and they can make a sticky for you, then you can just reference that everytime someone asks a "best" question and your little parrot Entropy can put a "yeah, yeah what he said" after all your recommendations.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Über User

what ever all i know is i can pee farther than any of you!

aka this has turned into a pissing contest.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:11 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

i was not aware that comparing empirical data was considered "parroting". more often than not, i tend to disagree with Zlover. but i can't disagree with fact. and just for the record, i think the HKS is one of the worst looking exhausts for the z32.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Registered Drifter

I know mufflers play a large role in an exhaust system but would a HKS Hi Power system flow terribly if I cut the mufflers off and added a nice pair of mufflers with dual tips. I can't belive this system flows better then a 3" system..

Last edited by The_MuffinMan25; 05-20-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:00 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by The_MuffinMan25
I know mufflers play a large role in an exhaust system but would a HKS Hi Power system flow terribly if I cut the mufflers off and added a nice pair of mufflers with dual tips. I can't belive this system flows better then a 3" system..
why in the world would you do that? just get the Specialty Z/Labree setup. it flows almost as good as the HKS, and can be had with dual round tips.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Registered Drifter

nvm..............

Last edited by The_MuffinMan25; 05-20-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Registered Drifter

blank.....................

Last edited by The_MuffinMan25; 05-20-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

The HKS Hi-Power mufflers are straight through with perforated steel and sound absorbing material on the walls of the muffler... the mufflers you're talking about are chambered. The HKS mufflers dampen sound by absorbing it into the walls of the muffler, whereas the chamber mufflers bounce the exhaust (and sound) through different passages, thus reducing and absorbing the sound. Clearly, the straight-through design will perform better than the chambered design. The problem that many people have with the HKS Hi-Power exhaust is the fact that it's angled... if you were to put mufflers on the car that changed this characteristic (made the exhaust straight out the back), you would be adding a bend to the piping, thus reducing its performance. So the reason HKS performs the best of all 2.5" exhausts is because it's the straightest and most free-flowing arrangement.

And I never said HKS Hi-Power was better than the 3" setup... there's insufficient data to really make that determination. Specialty Z used to make an HKS Hi-Power replica (with an X pipe instead of an H pipe), and if they were to make that in 3" I'm sure it'd outperform HKS. But does the other system? I don't know...
Old 05-21-2008, 12:44 PM

I'm pretty sure

Borla uses the free flow design and not the chamber design on thier exhaust system for the Z. It only comes in a dual tip, I've had it on my car for over a year and just took it off to drop the tranny, it's still in perfect shape. It isn't as agressive looking as the HKS system but it frees up about as much power as the HKS

Of all the aftermarkets exhausts that i saw tested and numbers on dyno charts posted for them the difference was minimal when you didn't also upgrade your turbos, intakes, injectors, ECU downpipes and test pipes. Really we are talking an insignificant difference. After all we are talking about Cat back systems. Anything somewhat straight and mandrel bent and 2.5 ID would flow just fine (with x or h pipe).
Old 05-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Über User

if i were to make an exhaust, it would be the HKS design with larger diameter piping and just angle the tips instead, that way you really don't disrupt the flow at all..... relatively speaking that is.

similare to this but on a Z32 shorter tip length and obviously the mufflers still on an angle just curve the tip and it would look like this.... perhaps oval them out some?

Old 05-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Registered Drifter

Why 2.5" and not 3.0" Most kits I find are only 2.5" is that enough flow? I dont plan to make too much power. Is it just because it a dual set-up?

Tim
Old 05-21-2008, 05:44 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by The_MuffinMan25
Why 2.5" and not 3.0" Most kits I find are only 2.5" is that enough flow? I dont plan to make too much power. Is it just because it a dual set-up?

Tim
when you get a cat-back system, it'll only be 3" after the cats. not really worth it. and if you don't plan to make a ton of power, the difference will be so small you won't ever notice.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

2.5" is sufficient for most setups, but the big-power-boys are seeing decent gains by going to full 3" (turbo back). And entropy is right... if you're only doing a cat-back in 3" then it make little sense.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:19 PM
The Good Twin

I wanna 6" turbo back exhaust... no! 10" diameter exhaust!!! duh biggar duh bettar huh?
Old 05-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

lol Once you hit a certain diameter, it's just extra weight... remove that ****, open downpipe it for the win! (I've run my car like that... sounds glorious.)
Old 05-21-2008, 07:15 PM
caught the z fever

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
lol Once you hit a certain diameter, it's just extra weight... remove that ****, open downpipe it for the win! (I've run my car like that... sounds glorious.)
i cant wait to get another z to do that. was it zboost that had cutouts before he did his swap?
ive never heard a z32 open downpipe, but a friend has a mk4 gti with a cutout and its niiiiiiiiiiiice
Old 05-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I should have my exhaust off again soon... I'll take some vid when I do.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Registered Drifter

Huh...remove cats and exhaust.........interesting. Man that would be loud. I could leave the mufflers hanging and tell officers I have an exhast leak that I need to get checked out. =) Thanks for the reply about the sizing. I actually questioned when my friend mentioned 3" but he was so adiment about most flow possible I figured I'd ask.

Tim

Quick Reply: Need Exhaust Help