300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

I want to install alarm 90' 300zx NA

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 02:41 AM

I want to install alarm 90' 300zx NA

Hello first I want to say sorry if this was covered but I have read and responded to post but haven't had my question answer enough.
I would also like to say thanks to everyone for all there knowledge that they spend time sharing im new to this site and z and after changing injectors and many other things learning quickly im excited

My question is can there be an after market alarm installed(Im sure its possible but making sure) With or with not(on these next items) Remote start, keyless entry, and aux (like windows rolling up etc.).

If so (Im hoping at this point) which ones

And last How can I do it myself?
Old 03-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Of course you can install an aftermarket alarm.

If your car is manual, no shop will install a remote start. If it's auto, they'll do it.

For keyless entry on a 90, you need extra solenoids.

Why do you want to control your windows with your alarm remote? Useless. I'm sure it can be done though.

Check out any alarms from parent company Directed Electronics
http://www.directed.com/
I had an AstroLoc 2-way system on my Z32 and loved it.

Have it professionally installed - considering how old the clips are and how complex the wiring is, you'll be better off having an expert do it.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the help I dont intend on using it to roll my windows up and down necessarily but the aux features allow you to be able to do other things like shock alarm controls etc.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:40 PM

Oh yea one more question where would be a good place to get solenoids from.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

They're usually add-ons for the alarm and are sold by the company who made the alarm. Thus, buy them from whoever you source the alarm system from.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 03-13-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:24 PM
F5 Hero

Originally Posted by bigman555
after market alarm installed(Im sure its possible but making sure) With or with not(on these next items) Remote start, keyless entry, and aux (like windows rolling up etc.).
Remote start on manual tranny cars is illegal in most states (if not all) and probably just a bad idea in the first place...

Now as far as it goes... My room mate has an auto Z with remote start, keyless entry, and aux (windows rolling up), and it is by FAR the biggest pain in the *** ever...
Half the time when he sits down the remote start button gets pushed and his car starts....

Keyless entry, ok that is always nice and a plus (i have a basic aftermarket on my Z for keyless entry purposes ONLY)...

He also has aux, where you lock the Z and the windows roll up... every time.... also huge pain in the ***... why... He can't leave his windows rolled down and have his car locked... What about in summer time when you want them down for some reason or something... who knows... Is there a way to change this feature? Yes, i'm sure there is... but neither of us know how... it's just a pain...

If you want an alarm... I recommend just getting a base alarm system (keyless entry and 4 points of access gaurded against, 2 doors, hatch, and hood). Mine was roughly 80 to 90 bucks... can't really remember exactly, this was years ago...
Old 03-20-2010, 12:43 AM

Thank you for all your info sorry it has taken me a bit to get back here so soon. Have a new toy to pay for lol. I have been looking closely into it and your right(as I knew already cause you all have been there or done that) So my thanks to you
Old 03-25-2010, 08:45 AM

You actually can have auto start in a manual z. My friend has a 1990 with auto start. They rig it so the car stays on even when you take off the key..once you close the door the car cuts off. It actually comes in handy on cold days..and any day in fact for warming up your car before venturing off.

Also get one with a proximity sensor for alerting you before hand when someones prowling around your car.

Last edited by vitaminZ; 03-25-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by vitaminZ
You actually can have auto start in a manual z. My friend has a 1990 with auto start. They rig it so the car stays on even when you take off the key..once you close the door the car cuts off. It actually comes in handy on cold days..and any day in fact for warming up your car before venturing off.
That's a turbo timer, not auto start. Remote start is pressing a button on a key fob and starting your engine without being in the car... this is illegal with manual cars because of the possibility of having the car in gear while you start it. A turbo timer is basically a computer that tricks the car into thinking the key is still in the ignition for a certain amount of time... you'd have to physically start the car for this, thus negating part of the benefit of remote start (which is, on cold days, starting your car and letting it warm up without ever having to step out into the cold).

Please don't post if you aren't 100% certain you know what you're talking about.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 03-25-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
That's a turbo timer, not auto start. Remote start is pressing a button on a key fob and starting your engine without being in the car... this is illegal with manual cars because of the possibility of having the car in gear while you start it. A turbo timer is basically a computer that tricks the car into thinking the key is still in the ignition for a certain amount of time... you'd have to physically start the car for this, thus negating part of the benefit of remote start (which is, on cold days, starting your car and letting it warm up without ever having to step out into the cold).

Please don't post if you aren't 100% certain you know what you're talking about.

Actually no, Turbo timers run your car even after the doors shut ( its a timer )..so shut or not the car still runs.. the reason the car shuts off when you lock the door is because obviously the mechanism knows your not in the car anymore..your car can't be running..in gear and you be outside the car shutting the door. Well this is how our security shop installed ours..i guess everyone has different methods..but his car is a 5 speed N/A. There's a fail safe that will only start the car in Neutral/ebrake up

Last edited by vitaminZ; 03-25-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Turbo timers turn off after the time runs out OR if any of the failsafes are tripped. Thus, you can wire a turbo timer to turn the car off with the completion of any action coupled with an electronic sensor. The default is for the car to turn off if the speed sensor registers any speed or if the hand brake is released (that's how they prevent theft)... either of these wires could EASILY be connected to a door sensor to turn the car off if the door is closed, which is what that shop did.

But you are completely ignoring the point - a REMOTE start does not require the person to be in the car to physically start it. Your system (which, as I said, is essentially a turbo timer), requires you getting into the car to start it. Again, the purpose of remote start is so that you don't have to go out in the cold to start the car, but can rather start it from in your house and let it warm up before ever getting into it. What you're describing does NOT do this, and thus is not pertinent to the topic at hand.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about, so please just stop giving bad information.

By the way, your friend's system is retarded... why would you want the system to shut off when you close the door? So you can let the heat that you're trying to let the car fill with (so you're not cold when you get in it) escape? lol He has a turbo timer. (And yes, they can be installed on an NA... they're just called a "turbo timer" because their purpose in development was to allow the engine to idle after driving it to circulate fresh oil and coolant through the turbo, without the driver having to wait... the installation is the same whether NA or TT.)

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 03-25-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:07 PM

Turbo timers turn off after the time runs out OR if any of the failsafes are tripped. Thus, you can wire a turbo timer to turn the car off with the completion of any action coupled with an electronic sensor. The default is for the car to turn off if the speed sensor registers any speed or if the hand brake is released (that's how they prevent theft)... either of these wires could EASILY be connected to a door sensor to turn the car off if the door is closed, which is what that shop did.

But you are completely ignoring the point - a REMOTE start does not require the person to be in the car to physically start it. Your system (which, as I said, is essentially a turbo timer), requires you getting into the car to start it. Again, the purpose of remote start is so that you don't have to go out in the cold to start the car, but can rather start it from in your house and let it warm up before ever getting into it. What you're describing does NOT do this, and thus is not pertinent to the topic at hand.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about, so please just stop giving bad information.

By the way, your friend's system is retarded... why would you want the system to shut off when you close the door? So you can let the heat that you're trying to let the car fill with (so you're not cold when you get in it) escape? lol He has a turbo timer. (And yes, they can be installed on an NA... they're just called a "turbo timer" because their purpose in development was to allow the engine to idle after driving it to circulate fresh oil and coolant through the turbo, without the driving having to wait.)
Sorry maybe i didn't word my reply right..

The car only shuts off when the key is out of the ignition..if the keys in the ignition its normal..shut open the door nothing will happen..but when you take out the key..the car stays running..and when you close the door it shuts off.

..it kinda makes sense because nobody leaves their car in gear while its idling (in a sense as your about to exit the vehicle)..but your more likely to have the habit of putting it into gear when the cars OFF and you exit.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I understood the function of his system, my stance doesn't change:

1) Remote start on a manual vehicle is technically illegal because of the possibility of having the car in gear while it's parked.

2) What your friend has is not remote start, since it requires him putting the key in the ignition to start it, and then taking the key out and leaving the car running (i.e. a turbo timer).

3) What your friend has doesn't even serve the same purpose as a remote start system, because leaving the door open wouldn't allow the cabin to heat up on a cold day, and he'd have to go outside to start it in the first place, thus not being "remote."
Old 03-25-2010, 07:32 PM

I understood the function of his system, my stance doesn't change:

1) Remote start on a manual vehicle is technically illegal because of the possibility of having the car in gear while it's parked.

2) What your friend has is not remote start, since it requires him putting the key in the ignition to start it, and then taking the key out and leaving the car running (i.e. a turbo timer).

3) What your friend has doesn't even serve the same purpose as a remote start system, because leaving the door open wouldn't allow the cabin to heat up on a cold day, and he'd have to go outside to start it in the first place, thus not being "remote."
Nope it is an auto start..you start the car from outside via the pager-remote..and once you enter the car you put the key in the ignition..its only activated when you leave the car running and ebrake is up..and you exit with the key in hands..
Old 04-03-2010, 09:25 PM

vitaminZ is correct. If your alarm is so equiped with Manual Transsmision remote start support then your system will detect that you pull your E-Brake on, when you turn off your car, it will stay running until you get out and close the door. After you close the door, the engine is shut off and remote start is armed. If you open then door again, it will disable the remote start unless you go through the procedure again. The point of this is you cannot get out of the car while it is in gear, therefore it is safe to remote start. If you re-enter the vehicle, the system will disable the remote start as you would then haved the opportunity to put the car in gear making it unsafe for remote start. I just installed a system in my 90 Z and it works great! I dont use remote start that often as I prefer to park my car in reverse (Therefor I could not get out of the car and still have it running, thereby disabling the remote start feature. In this scenario, I have to turn off the car before engaging the E-Brake or the system thinks I am attempting to arm the remote start and will not turn off the car when the key is turned off and removed. Of course all saftey features are in play during this arming sequence so do not step on the break or the car will immediatly turn off. My Alarm also has a turbo timer, I just pump the ebrake twice and it turns on the turbo timer function.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Please go post that on twinturbo.net where two or three dozen people will tell you that you're retarded for not understanding that remote start has nothing to do with leaving the engine running after getting out of the car, because I'm done saying it over and over again.

If you did some ghetto rigging, that's different, but your setup is NOT representative of remote start on any other manual car.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:12 PM

Score!
Old 04-04-2010, 07:11 PM

ZLover4Life. It is not a hack you Troll it is how the unit is designed. Thanks for showing your pig ignorance and lack of knowlege of modern Car Alarms and how they function and for attacking my very first post on this board. If you would like I would be glad to send you the instruction manual for my Alarm so that you can see that it is how the unit functions and not a hack. Up till now all Z owners I know have been exceptionally cool but you have proved that wrong as well. Have a nice life if this is the quality of mis-information that is perpetuated on this board then I will be glad to go to anotherone. ***PLUNK***
Old 12-29-2012, 07:05 PM

i have remote start on my 5 spd 94. It starts with the remote, and i have to put the key in to go anywhere cause if i push on the clutch, or the brake, the car shuts off. so i can start it from the house, get dressed on those 10degree days and head out to my warm cozy car, put in the key and drive off happy and toasty warm