300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

I have a problem starting my Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 01:50 AM

I have a problem starting my Z

Hey whats up everyone .. I have a lil bit of a problem .. I was in an accident where i was t boned on my passenger side .. Since the accident my car was able to be started .. All of the sudden it just wouldnt start .. I changed the battery .. It has gas in it .. People tell me that it has something to do wit the stock alarm .. But i put the key in the pass door and turn it so the security is not blinking and it still doesnt start .. The car has a new starter .. Can anyone help wit suggestions on wut the problem might be .. thanx a lot ..
Old 10-22-2004, 05:24 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Need more info. Does the engine turn over but not start? Or is it dead?
Old 10-22-2004, 07:06 AM

yeah any info would be great... maybe your spark plugs got soaked
Old 10-22-2004, 08:37 AM

Well the car just clicks actually .. Like people tell me it has to be my battery too .. But it cant be because i just bought a brand new battery .. And the wierd part is when i have the battery connected .. I can still honk my horn and i can still put on my headlights .. So when i turn the key it will click twice and not click again untill i turn the key back and do it again .. any more questions just ask will be happy to reply thank you ..
Old 10-22-2004, 08:57 AM
Jack Of All Trades

So then you start with battery cables, check grounds and all other connections.
One way to test the positive battery cable is to hook a jumper cable directly to the hot post on the starter. Try and start it. If it still just clicks it's not that cable. If all of your connections are then good, next step would be to pull the starter and get it tested.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:40 AM

OK, so you say it's a new battery? How new? How long has it been since the car was running? A battery, no matter how new, will not hold a charge forever. There are things on your car that will drain the battery (alarm, clock, etc.). The clicking that you're hearing is likely the starter solenoid. Eventhough you can turn on your headlights and honk the horn, it doesn;t mean a whole lot. Neither of those things pull very hard on the battery. There may be enough juice in the battery to turn on the small things, but not enough to turn the engine over. Try jumping it, or charging the battery overnight. Also, like Canyon recommended, check your grounds. Check the connections on your starter. You may find something loose somewhere. The main chassis ground is located behind the battery. You may want to check that and in order to do that, you need to remove the battery.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:58 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

you guys forgot to mention one of the basic things to first look for when faced with an electrical problem.

Check the fuses.

lol it may sound simple, but sometimes we forget to look at the obvious. check the fuses in the drivers side kick panel first. Then near the battery there's also a strip of fusible links. The first one is supposed to be a wire, don't get alarmed.