300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

High Temp.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 03:35 PM

High Temp.

I was wondering if the stock TTs had more heat shielding then the n/a zs. Since the swap the temp is high and it can get sweltering in the summer. What would be the best permanent solution for this issue? Should I thermo coat the inside of the car as well as the bay area and the turbos?
Old 12-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by DropTopTwin
I was wondering if the stock TTs had more heat shielding then the n/a zs. Since the swap the temp is high and it can get sweltering in the summer. What would be the best permanent solution for this issue? Should I thermo coat the inside of the car as well as the bay area and the turbos?
vented hoot, coat the manifold, turbo exhaust housing, downpipes, heat shields, and get an aftermarket radiator.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by bardabe
vented hoot, coat the manifold, turbo exhaust housing, downpipes, heat shields, and get an aftermarket radiator.

Vented hood, downpipes and koyo radiator are in place.

How long do the wraps for manifolds and turbos last? Also what do you think about the thermo pads you can put on the floorboards? Are they worth it?

Regarding the heat shield, did the stock TTs have any type of shield for the turbos?
Old 12-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

You seem to be mixing up two VERY different problems. When you say "high temp," do you mean the engine temperature is high? Or do you mean a lot of heat is getting into the cabin?

The TT does have turbo heat shields (and heat shields are to prevent heat spread to the cabin and other places, not to lower engine operating temperature). All of the things you guys are talking about are to lower the engine temperature, not to prevent heat spread into the cabin. For that, you'll basically have to wrap the manifolds, turbos, and downpipes, and get some kind of insulation.

If you engine is running hot, check your fluid level and thermostat. For extra flow, you can drill a small hole in the outer rim of the thermostat.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 12-24-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
You seem to be mixing up two VERY different problems. When you say "high temp," do you mean the engine temperature is high? Or do you mean a lot of heat is getting into the cabin?

The TT does have turbo heat shields (and heat shields are to prevent heat spread to the cabin and other places, not to lower engine operating temperature). All of the things you guys are talking about are to lower the engine temperature, not to prevent heat spread into the cabin. For that, you'll basically have to wrap the manifolds, turbos, and downpipes, and get some kind of insulation.

If you engine is running hot, check your fluid level and thermostat. For extra flow, you can drill a small hole in the outer rim of the thermostat.

You're right.

My problem is the high heat coming into the cabin. The engine runs normal.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:38 PM
caught the z fever

you might check into insulating your transmission tunnel too
Old 12-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

2nd on insulating the trans tunnel - that's where a lot of the heat comes from.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:48 AM

Trans Tunnel?

Never would of thought of that one. Thank you very much for your inputs guys.

Happy Holidays.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Bad Speller

what i meant about the turbos down pipes and manifolds, is to get them heat coated, and get the heat shields heat coated, too. im agains exhaust wrap, i had some of that on my HKS downpipes and Exhaust housing on my Old S13, it caused it to crack the welds, my friend had the same downpipes and exhaust housing on his R32 and just had them Ceramic Coated never had a problem with them.

so Insulate the tranny tunnel like ZLover stated, and ceramic coat all the exhaust components, and heat shields. should be a night and day diference.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I'm actually against wrapping or coating anything after the turbo - it reduces performance (optimum exhaust velocity, which increases turbo performance, is obtained by keeping heat in before the turbo and letting it escape afterward). I'd be more apt to deal with the heat than increase lag. I probably should've mentioned that before, but it seems that you're more interested in reducing heat in the cabin than peak performance.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:58 PM

I'm actually against wrapping or coating anything after the turbo - it reduces performance (optimum exhaust velocity, which increases turbo performance, is obtained by keeping heat in before the turbo and letting it escape afterward). I'd be more apt to deal with the heat than increase lag. I probably should've mentioned that before, but it seems that you're more interested in reducing heat in the cabin than peak performance.

I love peak performance as much as the next speedfreak, but I feel like I'm melting my legs at times. lol

But seriously, I had not realize the problem you've just pointed out, which is why I'm open to other ideas as well. I'm simply trying to get some ideas because of my lack of experience in this department. If wrapping or coating is not desirable, is there anything I could do inside the cabin or even underside of the car?
Old 12-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Coat the trans tunnel - I'm nearly certain that's where most of the heat is getting into the cabin. With my post, I was simply stating there is a little bit of a dichotomy between performance and comfort when it comes to this issue.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Bad Speller

i thought hotter exhaust gasses traveled faster out of the exhaust system, atleast thats what wraping the downpipe and exhaust housing on my RB yielded less lag (only about 150rpm) but faster exhaust speeds.????? or am i just being arrogant.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

You want everything trapped in before the turbo (so all the energy goes toward spooling the turbo) and everything to escape more quickly after the turbo to reduce restriction... if you let heat dissipate after the turbo, that's helping heat escape and thus reducing restriction.

Wrapping the exhaust housing was what got you the extra spool... the downpipe wrap wasn't. Ideally, the manifold and exhaust housing on the turbo should be wrapped to keep heat in, and then you should let it escape freely after the turbo is done with it.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:01 PM

Thanks for your input.

I feel what you are saying about performance vs comfort, but I'm not building a racecar. I feel, with street cars, some level of comfort is needed. Of course we would all like to have the best performing Zs, but I can not enjoy my baby in the North Carolina summer with what feels like a bonfire by my legs. LOL
I'll be looking into tran tunnel coating and some thermo insulating pads for the cabin.

Coat the trans tunnel - I'm nearly certain that's where most of the heat is getting into the cabin. With my post, I was simply stating there is a little bit of a dichotomy between performance and comfort when it comes to this issue.