300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Help Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:06 AM

Help Wanted

I'm new to the forums here so first and foremost, forgive me if I have overlooked a thread with the information I seek. I do not yet own a Z32, but by the middle of summer I will have one. I want a TT, rather than buying stock and doing a TT conversion which through the internets "infinite" wisdom I've read to be about $10k. My dilemma, the only cheap TT I have found has 139k miles on it. I'm positive the car will last for a lot longer, but my question is: how much would it cost to rebuild it, and how long would that take? More than likely I would have to have a professional do it, since I don't know much about cars at this time. I'm trying to learn, but other than the internet I have no means of learning. Again, let me thank anybody who can help me.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Über User

thats a very generic question because theres no real answer to it, it depends on everything you want done. but just for pulling and re-installing a motor is usually around 1,500 dollars from what i've seen (this is off all cars no Z32 specific BTW) and then a full rebuild would mean new pistons rods bearings and some valve train parts, thats another 1000-2000 depending on if ou go performance or not, almost a close to 200 a head for a valve job and mill, block bore and mill is probably another few hundred, then you got assembly with might be anywhere from a few hundred to a grand, then timing belts will get re-done, another couple hundred and then fluids and filter, about 40 dollars. not sure if im missing anything else, but yeah, its ALOT. but if the car was well maintained and its at 139K on it, you dont have to worry about a rebuild for a while if you take good care of it.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Pr0n Addict

it really depends how well it was taken care of. if it's been well maintained and not abused, it won't be in need of a rebuild for many thousands more miles. the turbos may require replacement a little sooner, and they will run a couple thousand. but the numbers snw gave for the engine rebuild and stuff are good. taking it to a shop will cost A LOT because everything will take so long because the engine is so complicated. i would bet that it will almost double the cost of the project. i'd recommend just doing it yourself and taking your time and spending the saved money on upgrades. that is if you insist on doing the job before it's needed.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Took me a week to rebuild my engine, from popping the hood to firing it up.

It'll probably take longer if you're having a shop do it.

And it'll cost several thousand dollars if you have a shop do it.

Also, rebuilding may be pointless if the engine is healthy - I know a guy who has over 200k on a TT with over 600hp.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:24 PM

thanks guys this has answered my question, and the extra information is also helpful. I do plan on modding it but that will have to wait untill I am out of college, which will be in another year or so. But once again thank you for the help.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:44 PM

For what is worth mine has over 200 and runs good, chaning the oil is the key and every thing your car tells you LOL. I like having it but some times... some times...
I got with over 100.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheHeirToIlium
since I don't know much about cars at this time. I'm trying to learn, but other than the internet I have no means of learning.
I see a potential problem here.....The Z32 TT really isn't a great car to own if you don't know much about cars.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
I see a potential problem here.....The Z32 TT really isn't a great car to own if you don't know much about cars.
I didn't know much about cars before buying my Z32TT. :shrug:

But I'm also not exactly a typical case.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:51 PM
F5 Hero

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
I didn't know much about cars before buying my Z32TT. :shrug:

But I'm also not exactly a typical case.

neither did I, I'm not exactly an expert now, but I feel that I am pretty knowledgeable...
Old 03-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Tough Guy

Originally Posted by 91zxtt

Second.

If you dont have any know how, you might want to look elsewhere.

Z's are from cheap to maintain / repair if you cant do a lot of it yourself.

Im no expert, and I certainly didnt know a huge amount when I got mine, but Im a quick learner and had a fair amount of automotive knowledge / experience before hand.

furthermore... What the hell does this mean