300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Finally Finishing Up Swap!!! YAY!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Old Polish Lady Lover

Location: Cheektowaga, NY...land of nothing but a mall and 10,000 old Polish ladies
Finally Finishing Up Swap!!! YAY!

so after a month of hell (i know it shouldnt take that long, but with being a full time student and having a full time job and a half, not much time to work on her unfortunately), the NA to TT swap should be complete. For those of you that dont already know, i bought a TT clip from Z1MotorSports, along wit the RPS Segmented Flywheel, UR Underdrive Pully kit (which came with all new belts), RPS twinturbo street clutch, a new timing belt, new water pump, and off of ebay got a boost guage and 2.5 inch stainless steel downpipes and midpipes...

now my question for all of you (especially those of you that have done the same swap)...what should i look for, or expect (as far as problems go) in the next week? like what bugs will i have to work out, what should i be extra causious of in breaking it in and making sure everything's ok? i'm very confident it'll be fine....perfect...unfortunately never fast enough though...but anyway...those of you that have done it, what did you run into when trying to, and shortly after, finish up?

thanks in advance for the help guys,

ps, think i might have to re-sign up with a new user name on here, "NotSoNANEMore" bwahaha (evil laugh)....
Old 04-28-2005, 10:40 AM

Make sure you get all of the reciepts from your mechanic so he cant rip you off in any sort of way. Dont beat on the car for too long, and i would take the car back after about 500 miles to get it checked out. U wanna make sure nothing is going wrong. It only took you a month??? damn my cars been out of commision for about 4 months now.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:30 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

Location: Cheektowaga, NY...land of nothing but a mall and 10,000 old Polish ladies
my "mechanic" is a friend of mine from a local automotive forum and a bunch of my other friends know and hang with him too, and at the beginning he predicted he'd have it done in 2 weeks if he really pounded away at it, and if he had pounded away at it, it woulda been done...but he has a day job, got sick, and has a life...so even though it has been twice as long as his predicted finishup date, i'm not complaining because i know this big of a hell-swap should take a lot longer....the kid's damn good.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Old Polish Lady Lover

i also ordered the UR underdrive pully with belts...and i cant use the hicas pump, so we tried using the na belt but it wont work on the new pully, so the guy doing the swap with me is confident there's a way to bipass the hicas, make the hicas pump work, and not really f anything up...but i'm wondering if we're just blind or stupid or both...and the na belt would work with this new pully? he's convinced it wont work, and just to make sure we did pull the na pump and tried to see if the na belt and pump would work with the new pully...and it doesnt
Old 05-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Ruined By Spudz

any pics man??
Old 05-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

soon, no digi cam cause all i can afford is a disposable after all my money going into the car...but i will scan some soon
Old 05-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

we ended up just plugging the hicas pump, took a while longer than just using the NA belt woulda, but i already had a tt belt since all the belts came with the underdrive pully i got from Z1...

now the problem is gonna be AC and getting it to work, probably will have to do custom AC piping/hosing, because it's a JDM clip we're taking parts from, so everything is reversed...but we're confident we can make due with what we have, just re-bending slightly where necessary, not a huge deal.

also, one of the coil packs for a spark plug was corroded a bit...rusty, so we just used one from my old NA engine, but should i look out for this as a problem in the future? what are the odds of it just being from moisture that might have accumulated over time, vs. it being a leaky gasket? i dont wanna have to tear it apart to replace a gasket already!
Old 05-03-2005, 07:41 PM

I don't think that will work. You should take the PS pump off of the N/A and buy the right belt to fit.

As far as what bugs can you expect. I would for the 'just about anything bug'. The possibilities are endless with a swap.

Have you gotten larger wheels and tires for the rear? If not, then be careful on the smaller 225 tires until you upgrade.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

here ya go...they aren't really recent, like sure they're no more than 2 weeks old, but there's been a lot of progress since...

i have two sweet pics on my phone, one of the rear of the engine hanging, with the new stainless downpipes on, and another of the engine hanging over the car just minutes before we dropped it in...but for some damn reason it keeps telling me i have an "invalid destination address" when i try to send those pics from my phone to my e-mail address...which really pisses me off cause i've done it in the past and had it work fine

if i can get it to work, they'll be up too, along with more as more are taken and more progress made!
Attached Thumbnails Finally Finishing Up Swap!!! YAY!-empty-engine-bay-1.jpg   Finally Finishing Up Swap!!! YAY!-empty-engine-bay-2.jpg   Finally Finishing Up Swap!!! YAY!-clip-pic-1-2-.jpg   Finally Finishing Up Swap!!! YAY!-clip-pic-2-2-.jpg   Finally Finishing Up Swap!!! YAY!-engine-flywheel-pic-2-.jpg  

Old 05-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

here's three more...
Attached Thumbnails Finally Finishing Up Swap!!! YAY!-engine-pully-pic-2-.jpg   Finally Finishing Up Swap!!! YAY!-intercooler-2-.jpg   Finally Finishing Up Swap!!! YAY!-twin-turbo-2-.jpg  
Old 05-10-2005, 08:46 PM

Is the bottom of that intercooler dented?
Old 05-10-2005, 08:51 PM

Damn those pictures look familiar, just with a white background. I feel your pain man. GRATZ!!
Old 05-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Is the bottom of that intercooler dented?

no it has to be the way i'm holding it...

when i ordered the clip with all the extra goodies, those extras came in a box, that was on the clip like under where the pedals are...and like saram wrap was around the whole clip several times, holding that box in there...when i dug it out (felt like opening x-mas presants!) i noticed an extra intercooler just chillin in there...turns out Z1 threw it in for free cause one of the IC's on the clip had a nice big (like quarter size) hole in it...but the two good ones are in good shape...we've checked it out pretty well, and the engine, along with everything else, is lookin real good...and any minor thing that mighta needed to be changed, is (such as all vacuum hosing, just about all 60k maintenance...etc...)