300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

cylinder stopped firing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Über User

cylinder stopped firing.

todya. i spent all day working on my car. tried my greddy style front end. yeha im pissed. hte right side of it is slightly misformed and a half inch to short. makes me wanna punch infants. jk. but my main problem is my rear left cylinder isnt working. i think it might be the coil pack that went out, but if i replace that and its still not workin what do you all suggest? oh btw i know its an electronic problem in the ignition somewhere. it seems to be producing some very weak spark. its not visible but i can feel it. so i hope to god its just a coil pack replacement and its over. any tips or ideas?
Old 01-12-2006, 12:09 AM

I'd actually look more towards an injector. I have replaced quite a few already, but it is well know that the injectors on the Z32 have to be replaced fairly often. Not to say that it is every day, but they do go bad enough that it is a pain. Get a resistance check on your injectors before you go replacing a coil pack. I would also check to see whether the fuel dampener connections (it looks just like a fuel regulator, but is right above the #6 injector) are leaking or not. I have noticed a direct correlation between fuel leaks and injector failure. My shop says no, but the injectors that have gone bad on my cars just so happened to be the ones below the fuel dampener/pressure regulator. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention ignition connectors. They are those multi-wire packs that go to all of the stuff that makes cylinders go boom. They end up getting cooked in the inferno that is the engine bay of a Z32 in normal operation. Most mechanics that know what they're talking about recommend replacing those wires every 100K. That may a culprit, too. But, it depends on what kind of mileage your car has and what preventive maintanence has been accomplished. But, I recommend getting your ignition connectors replaced regardless. Just for peace of mind. If they go, your car will die and never start again until they are replaced. Definately get the injectors checked for resistance, though. Peace.

Last edited by jaffi; 01-12-2006 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Über User

hey jaffi. i think ur right my dad called his Z guy and like ditn like listen to anything we had to say hes just like..injectors, we figured out its not electrical problem cuase there good spark form the coil pack on the cylinder that seesm to have the problem...so yeah....sucks that you hvae to take off the intake manifold to take out hte injectors. so close to just comin straight out, one hidden screw
Old 01-17-2006, 07:10 PM
confuzed member

there is a dremel method to changing injectors that don't require you to pull the plenum. You can simply dremel a little material off so that you can get to the injector.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Jack Of All Trades

The dremel method works great. I don't have a dremel, and my kid lost my 1/4" carbide end mill, so I just put a 1/4" drill in my small air grinder and side ground a groove in there. It's still kinda hard to pull the injectors out once you get the screws out.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Über User

hey..i would definalty like info on the dremel method. i started taking apart the upper plenum....then just quit and put it back together, lol, i ran outta time. but in the process i un clipped the injecter and took an EX-acto knofe scarpped the connectors. female and male ends on the one givin me problems...yeha she works perfect again, but i would definatly like infor on the dremel mehtod just incase they go out. one of the screw on the injectors is different, so im assuming they were changed at least once before....i hope. thanks and yeha info on the dremeel method for the future would be great.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Über User

wait...dremel the plenum so you can access the covered up screws?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:08 PM
confuzed member

here you go:
http://twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg.asp...&msg_id=970094
Old 01-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Über User

hey emo yeah thats what i meant what that forum said, i just worded it kinda goofy. but are all the blost on the injector covers hex head screws where you need and allen wrench to remove? cuase mine are phillips head screw. like sheet metle screw looking?!?! mabye that means the injectors were already replaced completly not just the one wiht one different bolt.