300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Broken shift lock?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 07:22 AM

Broken shift lock?

Just bought my first Z - a '91 2+2 A/T. I have to push the shift lock button just to get out of Park, regardless of whether it's on a hill. Is that right?
Old 08-02-2006, 09:50 PM

Yes, to get the shifter out of park you will have to have the ignition off, and your foot on the brake and press the button in. This also is suppose to keep you from pushing it from neutral into reverse to keep you from throwing it in reverse on accident when you are cruising down the highway... but 1st, 2nd, drive, and neutral can all be switched between without pressing the button.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:49 AM

Hmm. Just seemed odd to have to use both hands on the shifter just to get out of Park. I've had A/T's with shift lock before, but it's only been needed when parked on a steep incline. Thanks
Old 08-04-2006, 11:11 PM

both hands? Im not sure I understood you correctly the first time, are you talking about the button on the side or the release on the bottom front? because if your talking about the release then yes something is wrong, the only thing that should be used for is so you can put it in neutral without the car being on (Like if you had to be towed cause you couldnt get it started). If you have to use the release on the front of it to get out of park when the car is on, I would take a look at the ignition switch as it is not disengageing the lock properly. (Although i'd have to do some research and take a look at the mechanical/electrical diagrams to figure out where exactly along the line it tells the shifter lock to unlock... my first guess would be at the ignition switch, or at the relay)
Old 08-05-2006, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Aphrodite
both hands? Im not sure I understood you correctly the first time, are you talking about the button on the side or the release on the bottom front? because if your talking about the release then yes something is wrong, the only thing that should be used for is so you can put it in neutral without the car being on (Like if you had to be towed cause you couldnt get it started). If you have to use the release on the front of it to get out of park when the car is on, I would take a look at the ignition switch as it is not disengageing the lock properly. (Although i'd have to do some research and take a look at the mechanical/electrical diagrams to figure out where exactly along the line it tells the shifter lock to unlock... my first guess would be at the ignition switch, or at the relay)
Right, the release button on bottom front of shifter has to be pressed to get out of Park. I haven't had a chance to buy a FSM yet - does anyone have a digital copy to "loan" me? Or is that not an appropriate thing to ask?
Old 08-06-2006, 03:28 PM

there are a few linked here

https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8434