300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

bad idle and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Banned

bad idle and stalling

Hey I just recently did a swap and now I have an issue with my engine idle. It goes all the way up to 2000 then to 300 RPMS, and sometimes stalls. It doesn’t do this when its cold, rather it idles at 1100. I have checked for boost or vacuum leaks and found none. My boost hits 17 PSI no problem. I changed the AAC valve and FICD solenoid and did the following misc. work: all new vacuum lines new stage 2 heads from Z1 doolz intake apexi boost controler rps flywheel Ur pulley,Rfl blow off's plx r 500, AFC controler Z1 ecu upgrade 850 cc injectors devorce pipes test pipes cat back full tien coil overs solid sub bushings new dif urthane bushings front upper and rear upper control arms traction arms toe arms ra-1 toyo tires stilling sway bars SPL fender braces alpine system. Everything else works fine and the only issue is with the idle. Please help thanks.

Last edited by Boosted Z; 03-03-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I'll read that and attempt to help when it's organized into sentences. I can't read rambling.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
I'll read that and attempt to help when it's organized into sentences. I can't read rambling.
hey ium sorry the dam site wont let me space anything out or organize it i tryes to space the sentences and list my mods but wat can i do the dam thing wont let me sorry bro short and simple my idle sucks. it goes from 2000 to 300 up and down when im stop, brake it stalls when im parked idling it goes up and down like crazy but when im driving it it drives fine i hit a boost fine and fixed alot of things that is in my first post, just the dam idle that is pissing me off im clue less i changes the aac valve and check fuel pressure and boost leaks nothing im stumped
Old 03-03-2006, 12:03 AM

Jesus H Christ........I think I've managed to translate the first post. Please understand I do this for the sake of your car only:

Hey I just recently did a swap and now I have an issue with my engine idle. It goes all the way up to 2000 then to 300 RPMS, and sometimes stalls. It doesn’t do this when its cold, rather it idles at 1100.

I have checked for boost or vacuum leaks and found none. My boost hits 17 PSI no problem. I changed the AAC valve and FICD solenoid and did the following misc. work:

all new vacuum lines
new stage 2 heads from Z1
doolz intake
apexi boost controler
rps flywheel
Ur pulley,Rfl blow off's
plx r 500, AFC controler
Z1 ecu upgrade
850 cc injectors
devorce pipes
test pipes
cat back
full tien coil overs
solid sub bushings
new dif urthane bushings
front upper and rear upper control arms
traction arms
toe arms
ra-1 toyo tires
stilling sway bars
SPL fender braces
alpine system.

Everything else works fine and the only issue is with the idle.

Please help thanks.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:35 AM

TPS...try resetting it.

Second...all that for mods and expense but no where did I see that you ran codes. This should be the basics of this car and should have been the first mod or how to on your list. Codes people codes.

1...problem

2...run codes to see what comes up

3...fix error and if all else fails post issue.

1-2-3
Old 03-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by japanz
TPS...try resetting it.

Second...all that for mods and expense but no where did I see that you ran codes. This should be the basics of this car and should have been the first mod or how to on your list. Codes people codes.

1...problem

2...run codes to see what comes up

3...fix error and if all else fails post issue.

1-2-3
i have conzult i ran codes ,balnence checked ,vacum checked, all signals are good to solinoids all work but the damm idle i changed the aac valve nad fixed all the leaks i had
Old 03-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Comorat2x2
Jesus H Christ........I think I've managed to translate the first post. Please understand I do this for the sake of your car only:

Hey I just recently did a swap and now I have an issue with my engine idle. It goes all the way up to 2000 then to 300 RPMS, and sometimes stalls. It doesn’t do this when its cold, rather it idles at 1100.

I have checked for boost or vacuum leaks and found none. My boost hits 17 PSI no problem. I changed the AAC valve and FICD solenoid and did the following misc. work:

all new vacuum lines
new stage 2 heads from Z1
doolz intake
apexi boost controler
rps flywheel
Ur pulley,Rfl blow off's
plx r 500, AFC controler
Z1 ecu upgrade
850 cc injectors
devorce pipes
test pipes
cat back
full tien coil overs
solid sub bushings
new dif urthane bushings
front upper and rear upper control arms
traction arms
toe arms
ra-1 toyo tires
stilling sway bars
SPL fender braces
alpine system.

Everything else works fine and the only issue is with the idle.

Please help thanks.
thanks very much i was trying to do that it would let me it is strange id make it like that, but goes all bunched together thanks for fixing that
Old 03-03-2006, 06:10 PM

So then...a code 55 and your TPS is fine? Have you tried to reset that? I would suggest to try that.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:56 AM

unstable idle

i think i had this problem on my 1990 300zx, i took it to the dealer and they replaced the power transister (under a recall notice) but it sounds to me that you have an initial start up problem like a MAF sensor problem, perhaps your car gets too much or not enough air, isn't there a valve or bypass that opens/closes to allow the car to run a bit rich on initial start up? I'm just brainstorming here, been a while since ive had any kind of idle problem on any car.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:39 PM

Just in case... I came across a post from a guy I know on another forum. He is astonishing in knowledge. I did remember this post and came back to share just in case. Regarding the TPS

"..... It is located on the drivers side throttle body. It looks like a small black box that has two harnesses attached. You need to check the adjustment using a digital volt meter. Get a thin paperclip or small wire and insert the wire into the back of the gray harness center lead (white) leaving the harness connected. Now turn the ignition on but do not start the car. Ground the negative lead on the volt meter and touch the positive lead to the small wire. You should have a voltage reading. Adjust the TPS by loosening the small 8mm bolts that attach it to the throttle body and rotate the TPS until you get a reading of .45-.48 volts. Once that is done tighten the small mounting bolts and remove the wire from the harness. Now disconnect the harness and start the car. Set the idle using the IAA unit idle adjusting screw to around 750-800 rmp with the headlights on and let it idle for around 1 minute checking to see if it remains steady. If so then connect the harness while the engine is running and you should be good to go."
Old 03-05-2006, 06:25 PM

I haven't been on this site very much recently so I have to ask this....what happened to the hydro power?
Old 03-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Tough Guy

Check your **** valve.

((91 beat me to the hydro power comment))
Old 03-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by domsgarage
Check your **** valve.

((91 beat me to the hydro power comment))
Originally Posted by 91zxtt
I haven't been on this site very much recently so I have to ask this....what happened to the hydro power?
well i took it out because i have no room and could care less about emissions and now that i got a big motor ill just get big turbos when i can fit it in there find nice place for it and get everything up to 100%. i just dont no any more, would bad compression cause stalling and bad idle like iv bin talking about? i checked the compresion and its low but its evenly low on all cylinders i dont no why, i put new heads on and that cosmetic head gasket and b4 i did that Z1 told me the compression #s but still makes me beleave bad rings , but i still dont think bad rings is guna cause these problems, maybe and unstale idle but not eratic please help thanks
Old 03-12-2006, 05:15 PM

For someone who was so adament about that Hydro power setup, you sure did kick it to the curb in a big fat hurry and to go with a TT swap.

BTW,...those headgaskets that you're talking about are Cometic, not Cosmetic. Big difference.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
For someone who was so adament about that Hydro power setup, you sure did kick it to the curb in a big fat hurry and to go with a TT swap.

BTW,...those headgaskets that you're talking about are Cometic, not Cosmetic. Big difference.
' ok but thats not helping my problem im having ,could bad mas sensor cuase bad idle and rich condition or possibly lean condition i got my plx i dont no if my det sensor is able to hook up tgo the plx for knock feature the plx has and the Apexi boost controler doesnt seem to read the rpms from the ecu or the mph its all wired right i just clue less i think im runing rich at idle and washing the rings out causing low compression and bad idle
Old 03-20-2006, 07:25 PM
Jack Of All Trades

maybe it's the 850cc injectors?