300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Spun Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 11:13 PM

Spun Bearing

Hello I Am In Need Of Some Help. Spun Bearing ! I Am Wondering If I Can Go Through The Oil Pan To Fix This Problem. If Anybody Knows Please Help Really Missing My Z (93 300zx Tt)
Old 12-30-2004, 12:21 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

i'm not an expert on the inner workings of the z but hopefully this link might be of some use.

http://www.300zx.co.uk/cgi-bin/manual.cgi
Old 12-30-2004, 02:15 AM
mtl

Originally Posted by firefighter1179
Hello I Am In Need Of Some Help. Spun Bearing ! I Am Wondering If I Can Go Through The Oil Pan To Fix This Problem. If Anybody Knows Please Help Really Missing My Z (93 300zx Tt)
You can indeed! as long as its not damaged the crank. Also i would not follow our online manual for the info as it not that helpfull. ( Member of 300zx.co.uk )

You just need to suport the engine and drop the cross member then you can drop the sump. Should take you no longer then 2 hours :headspin:
Old 12-30-2004, 07:57 AM
Jack Of All Trades

The key here is, is what damage was done at the point where the bearing spun. If you spun a rod bearing, the chances are good that you damaged the rod. A new bearing will likely spin again. You should at least install and then check the clearance with plast-gage. If you spun a main you'll have to drop the crank a little. At that point you should replace all mains and again check with plasti-gage. Keep in mind too, that when you spin a bearing, it is usually caused by a partial siezure between the bearing and the mating (running) surface. A spun bearing is also a good sign that your motor is worn out. Trying to replace the bearing is only a temporary fix. If you go this route and it works, I would suggest running straight 40w or heavier oil with some stp or .......

Also keep in mind, if it was a rod bearing, and you see any discoloration, as in a bluish color on the rod itself, the rod is now soft and no good. Even with a new bearing, there's a very likely chance that the next problem will be with that rod sticking out through a hole in the side of your block. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by CanyonCarver; 12-30-2004 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:14 PM
mtl

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
The key here is, is what damage was done at the point where the bearing spun. If you spun a rod bearing, the chances are good that you damaged the rod. A new bearing will likely spin again. You should at least install and then check the clearance with plast-gage. If you spun a main you'll have to drop the crank a little. At that point you should replace all mains and again check with plasti-gage. Keep in mind too, that when you spin a bearing, it is usually caused by a partial siezure between the bearing and the mating (running) surface. A spun bearing is also a good sign that your motor is worn out. Trying to replace the bearing is only a temporary fix. If you go this route and it works, I would suggest running straight 40w or heavier oil with some stp or .......

Also keep in mind, if it was a rod bearing, and you see any discoloration, as in a bluish color on the rod itself, the rod is now soft and no good. Even with a new bearing, there's a very likely chance that the next problem will be with that rod sticking out through a hole in the side of your block. Just my 2 cents.

I agree here! I had a bearing go, so replaced it then a little while later got the dreded knock. Striped it down to find the rod almost about to split down the middle