300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Should I buy a 300zx

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:47 PM

Should I buy a 300zx

Hey guys, I am pretty new to the forums and wanted to get some advice about purchasing a 300zx.

I found a manual 1996 300zx 2+0 with only 115k miles for a good price and was wondering if it would be a sound purchase. I have saved up my money from working over the summer and plan to dump it all into this car, so I want to know if I will run into a ton of reliability issues. I have heard that 1990-1993 models had injector issues, and know that every year the models got a little more reliable. With 1996 being the last year produced, will it be fairly reliable? The car I am looking at LOOKS like it was maintained well. With that being said, what should I look for if I plan to check out the car?

Thanks guys!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:10 AM

One thing you have to take into account is that the car is still 17 years old. These cars have wiring issues. You would need to inspect the harness very well. Just because it was the last year built in the U.S. doesn't mean it's more reliable than others.

All Z32's will eventually have injector problems. No matter the year. I have never seen one that hasn't had them replaced some point in its life. However the '96 does have the phase 2 injectors. This helps prevent corrosion on the connector with a rubber seal.

If you do anything to one of these cars you are going to put money into it. The cheapest thing to do is keep it stock and have it for a Sunday driver, and that still takes money to keep up the maintenance.

Not trying to scare you away from it. Just know that these cars cost money to maintain and even more to build.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by kspakes87
one thing you have to take into account is that the car is still 17 years old. These cars have wiring issues. You would need to inspect the harness very well. Just because it was the last year built in the u.s. Doesn't mean it's more reliable than others.

All z32's will eventually have injector problems. No matter the year. I have never seen one that hasn't had them replaced some point in its life. However the '96 does have the phase 2 injectors. This helps prevent corrosion on the connector with a rubber seal.

If you do anything to one of these cars you are going to put money into it. The cheapest thing to do is keep it stock and have it for a sunday driver, and that still takes money to keep up the maintenance.

Not trying to scare you away from it. Just know that these cars cost money to maintain and even more to build.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:21 PM

Dude, you found a Z! Way to go! Seriously, checking out any used car is important and takes time. Look under it for oil spots, check for rust, etc. I take the oil level and clarity as indicators of good or average maintenance by current owner. Check all fluid levels under the hood. Get the CARFAX report on it first thing. Ask to see repair/maintenance records/receipts if any. You could take some fotos and post them here before buying.

Otherwise, the net offers a bunch of checklists for checking out a used car. They apply to buying a Z, too. But I think the posts above are right. A 17 yr old car will no doubt need some repairs. Your call whether to bring it back to 'like new', keep it barely running - or take it in a whole new direction for even more $$$. But it IS a Z and that's good.

Last edited by zxguy1986; 03-07-2014 at 12:29 AM.