300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:38 PM

hey everybody, new member here, im 18 and my brother who is 23 has a 1990 Z32 N/A that he got from his boss for $700, body's in pretty good shape minimal rust, came with Enikei's or Enkei's, not sure how to spell em but you know. the original motor has over 200k, needs an alternator and 2 injectors, also the exhaust looks like it has cancer. the plans once he gets enough money are to do a TT swap, im doing the forums for him because im more into cars and working on them then he is, so i have a few questions. im in NY, and im wondering if anyone knows any good Z engine builders/tuners nearby? also, how much HP is really safe for the VG30DE block?ill look at other people's setups as we get more into the build, which might be a while seeing as how its still just a vision at this point, i just wanted to get the ball rolling. anyway just wondering any good tips to know for new Z32 owners and general knowhow with these cars, as i said, im more mechanically inclined than my brother who actually owns the Z, so ill be on the forum for his car. i personally have a 95 Integra LS with a JDM B18C, Skunk2 intake manifold, some kinda aftermarket header (everything was on the car when i bought it.), along with what appears to be an aftermarket strut tower brace, and fuel rail. also has a shitty short ram intake.... so just wanted to introduce myself
Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 PM

Welcome, I don't live in NY so can't help you there. However if you need a motor I recommend Japanese Star Motor located there. VG30DE all motor won't do much. I use to have one with full bolt on and it wan't very fast, lacks TQ on such a heavy car. Add on stock TT turbo set up is good for around 7 psi. Compression is really high on NA 10.5.1 so you risk blowing the motor really easy. Proper TT swap is pretty expensive around 8-10k for parts and labor. If it's not a 2+2, Slick Top, or Convertible I'd just sell it and get a factory TT. I have a 2+2 TT and has already cost me 20k. They are very good cars just a pain to work on. Can't do anything major work unless engine is pulled.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by vuez32
Welcome, I don't live in NY so can't help you there. However if you need a motor I recommend Japanese Star Motor located there. VG30DE all motor won't do much. I use to have one with full bolt on and it wan't very fast, lacks TQ on such a heavy car. Add on stock TT turbo set up is good for around 7 psi. Compression is really high on NA 10.5.1 so you risk blowing the motor really easy. Proper TT swap is pretty expensive around 8-10k for parts and labor. If it's not a 2+2, Slick Top, or Convertible I'd just sell it and get a factory TT. I have a 2+2 TT and has already cost me 20k. They are very good cars just a pain to work on. Can't do anything major work unless engine is pulled.
thanks, as i said its my brothers car and hes planning to throw away his N/A motor and swap a TT motor, or maybe rebuild his N/A with lower comp/stronger pistons, rods, he definitely wants to boost it seeing as how we're thinkin big power when the build gets going, we wont be doing much of the heavy work ourself, maybe pull the old motor ourselves, but the installation and tuning would be done professionally, me and him could probably mount up a front mount ourselves and stuff, we've thought about selling his (its just a standard 2 seater t-top) and starting with a TT Z32, but he got it from his boss for $700, so we kinda wanna stay with this platform. i have my Integra and ik all too well you never get back what you put into your build (monetarily atleast), i told him every dollar he puts in he is only gonna get back in enjoyment of the car when its done. but thanks alot man ill keep Japanese Star Motor on my mind definietly, no good tuners or anything in the NorthEast
Old 01-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Horsepower Mathematician

Welcome! I noticed you mentioned a front mount intercooler, so I give you this:

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx...up-long-19694/

Worth the read.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:05 PM

thanks man