300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

My Engine Smokes! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 08:56 PM

My Engine Smokes! Help!

The original owner had left the car sitting in his driveway for over a year when I bought it.

When I drove the car home, I noticed smoke slightly coming from the car.

The next day and the day after that, I took the car out for an hour on the freeway twice, no more smoke.

Then I left the car to sit for 3 months as I worked on it. Today I finally ran the car again. And a slight smoke came from it.

In both these instances of smoke, the temp gauge showed normal temperature readings, but I know better than to trust any gauge completely.

So is it likely for a car to smoke when left sitting for a long time, maybe burning off residue that settled in the engine bay? Or would it be more likely that the car has overheating issues?

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-12-2004, 08:59 PM

What color is the smoke? Blue, white or black? Is it coming from the engine compartment or the tailpipes? Is it a turbo?
Old 10-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

ever thought of changing the oil?
cleaning/changing the air filter/s?
fuel filter? Tranny/differential fluids?
Check the plugs? Check the belts? timing?

Sounds like you shoulda done a bunch of preventive maintanence first before worrying about some smoke from the tail pipe. Maybe it's just cold outside? Lower temps make normal exhaust more pronounced. Where r you located?
Notice that when you look at our posts, you know where we're from, what kind of car we drive, etc.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:18 PM

Its a 1990 N/A in Southern California (i'll update my info once i figure out how )

Today I had just changed the oil and spark plugs.

I then flushed the radiator and was racing the engine when i noticed the smoke again. It was coming from the engine bay, white smoke it seems. I couldn't exactly pin point the smoke, but it seems to be coming from right side of the engine, in the empty space below the fuel filter.

I then changed the fuel filter to complete my preventativ maintenance.

So it could be just the preventative maintenance that needed to be done that was causing the smoke (the oil and spark plugs was pitch black). I'll drive the car around tommorow and see if it still occurs. Thanks!.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:30 AM
Jack Of All Trades

I might speculate a valve cover gasket leak with oil dripping onto exhaust manifold. Or, a small coolant leak from one of those little hoses hidden in there. This can be checked by pressure testing your cooling system. Or a rear main seal leak with oil dripping onto the exhaust.

Are there any oil spots on the ground where the car sat for months?

Even tho it's not overheating, is your coolant level dropping a little?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:52 AM
Dan's the Man

Further to Canyon's question about oil spots.

Consider removing the Front engine splash guard and the rear engine splash shield and inspecting them. You may have a leak that is not severe enough to make it to the ground but may be evident on the shields.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:14 AM

maybe your lower main seal is leaking... also what does it smell like bc if it is coolant you can smell the burning sometimes a bit of oil will leak on top of the tranny instead on the ground, and once tranny warms up it will start burning the oil which will result in smoke... also check your water pump, bc it might be leaking through the seal on the bottom.... it happened to me once. either way keep us updated
Old 10-13-2004, 10:57 AM

the day after i got my z, the motor started smoking, it was white smoke..... one of the coolent lines had a small crack in it near the clamp..... it was just bad luck..... does it smoke alot after you turn in off??? mine would smoke more after, b/c it started pissing out the coolent.... i fixed it, it took me 3 hours to get the line out and back in, and it cost me a total of 99 cents, lol..... it was a pain to get to, but it was pretty easy, and it was practically free..... open your hood, and look around, see if i you see anyting leaking, see if you can find where the smoke is coming from.... its most likely a stupid problem that is no big deal..... but good luck in your adventurs in finding the smoke.....
Old 10-15-2004, 09:02 AM
Tough Guy

Just remember. Second hand smokes kills to.